List Mgmt. Player List Management 2019-20

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why? He’s not getting a game ahead of Butters or Rozee, and he’s horrible at defensive pressure. He’s like another Aaron Young - gets on the end of the hard work of others.

He’d seriously be dead last on the people we need to re-sign. I’m not saying I wouldn’t want to keep him, and I wouldn’t delist him...but his contract is whatever we have left over in the cap once we’ve retained all the players that are more important.
I said I would keep him, didn't I? I'm signing him over Sam Gray and Aidyn Johnson for sure. All I'm saying is that he plays a position we are well stocked in.

There's always a new player coming in over the horizon. Don't get too attached to them unless they are first or second round picks.
There was no positive projection saying that you would keep him, more that you would not necessarily delist him. You bring up S Gray and Aidyn Johnson, but the message before you said he would be dead last to re-sign.

I said I would keep him, didn't I? I'm signing him over Sam Gray and Aidyn Johnson for sure. All I'm saying is that he plays a position we are well stocked in.

There's always a new player coming in over the horizon. Don't get too attached to them unless they are first or second round picks.

We're not well stocked in guys that hit the chest ftom 40m. He's potentially a better player than Amon.

Not going to be easy to get back in, and the competition is only going to get better in years to come.
It’s Good, it’s about time we had competition for big men spots. Reminds me a bit of primas, lade and brogan all in one squad. 3 quality big men.

There was no positive projection saying that you would keep him, more that you would not necessarily delist him. You bring up S Gray and Aidyn Johnson, but the message before you said he would be dead last to re-sign.

I meant he's last on my list of players that need to be re-signed. I wouldn't delist or trade him.

Cox could be an improved version as early as next year on Farrell.

Cox could be an improved version as early as next year on Farrell.
Farrell can play half forward and deliver a nice pass in, and hit the scoreboard too.

Cox is what Ken thinks Sam Gray is, a contested marking deep small forward.

$600k a year in the B grade. Ladhams will be a better player. $600k is a lot that can go to a run and gun player to speed up our midfield and help Amon
Good thing Ryder is leaving then. A highly paid player that can't ruck full games and is a quasi-forward. Cap space opened up right there.

$600k a year in the B grade. Ladhams will be a better player. $600k is a lot that can go to a run and gun player to speed up our midfield and help Amon
So then the question actually is: when are we going to get a selection panel that selects the best players for the team? And that's not actually a new question at all.

Lycett was/is most likely top 5 in our BnF this year, and was clear BOG in the SANFL on the weekend. He's an absolute jet and well worth the contract, not his fault he's not getting selected.

Farrell can play half forward and deliver a nice pass in, and hit the scoreboard too.

Cox is what Ken thinks Sam Gray is, a contested marking deep small forward.

If he can deliver a nice pass in, how come he never does it? 0 goal assists in 7 games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are people subconsciously aggregating every disposal Farrell's ever had and thinking they all came from the same game?

The kid literally had 5 effective disposals across his last two games. Sure he's a great kick, but if that's only being put to use once or twice a game it's not really adding much value.

I'd give him another year, maybe two at the absolute max, but agree with Janus that he's pretty much at the bottom of the re-signing priority list.

Says something that Port signed Patmore to a new deal even though he had a knee reconstruction just before the start of the season.

He is one who could make an impact next year.

I really like our squad at the moment. Over the next two years we add Mead, Schofield and maybe Burgoyne. Mead and Schofield are first round talents but we can add 2 first rounders in addition if we position ourselves correctly making 4 first round additions to an already young and exciting list.

I favour as few list changes as possible. Even Trengove and McKenzie would be good to keep. Trengove makes Drew and Atley better and offers an option in the depths of winter. It was unfortunate he was injured right at the time he may have come into the side. His experience and hardened body is great for a young Magpies list.

McKenzie has had an excellent last month despite playing out of position as a key back. He is composed and a very good short kick as well as a good long kick. He is quick too. I'm still scratching my head trying to figure out why he hasn't made it.

Hewitt and Johnson are the only two I don't want on the list next year. Lack of opportunity may see Ryder, Atley, Frampton and some others ask for a trade and despite my wishes, Trengove and McKenzie may be squeezed out. But let's not make too many changes we don't have to make.

If he can deliver a nice pass in, how come he never does it? 0 goal assists in 7 games.

I’ve seen it plenty of times at SANFL level, he’s got the ability to do it. Once he gets more of the ball at AFL level and gets more experience, it should click for him. He’s already good at goal kicking at AFL level(highest goals per game average at the club this season), just needs more time to add the other part.

Farrell is obviously an excellent user of the ball going into f50.

If the stats say he has no goal assists from 7 games I would suggest that’s because

A) he’s not offloading the ball when near goals but going for goal himself.

B) he’s been played as a defensive forward at least twice this season

C) he played deep forward at least once this season

And

D) the rest of our forwards couldn’t hit the side of a barn if they were leaning on it. Which kind of makes it hard to get goal assists

Farrell is obviously an excellent user of the ball going into f50.

If the stats say he has no goal assists from 7 games I would suggest that’s because

A) he’s not offloading the ball when near goals but going for goal himself.

B) he’s been played as a defensive forward at least twice this season

C) he played deep forward at least once this season

And

D) the rest of our forwards couldn’t hit the side of a barn if they were leaning on it. Which kind of makes it hard to get goal assists

Yeah I'm gonna lock in E) Doesn't find enough of the footy to begin with, thank Eddie.

B and C are negated by his lack of tackles. D is negated by the fact that he also has a low number of score involvements.

I really like our squad at the moment. Over the next two years we add Mead, Schofield and maybe Burgoyne. Mead and Schofield are first round talents but we can add 2 first rounders in addition if we position ourselves correctly making 4 first round additions to an already young and exciting list.

I favour as few list changes as possible. Even Trengove and McKenzie would be good to keep. Trengove makes Drew and Atley better and offers an option in the depths of winter. It was unfortunate he was injured right at the time he may have come into the side. His experience and hardened body is great for a young Magpies list.

McKenzie has had an excellent last month despite playing out of position as a key back. He is composed and a very good short kick as well as a good long kick. He is quick too. I'm still scratching my head trying to figure out why he hasn't made it.

Hewitt and Johnson are the only two I don't want on the list next year. Lack of opportunity may see Ryder, Atley, Frampton and some others ask for a trade and despite my wishes, Trengove and McKenzie may be squeezed out. But let's not make too many changes we don't have to make.

We are going to have to move a reasonable number of players off our list.

At the moment we have 40 on the main list, 5 rookies and 2 category b rookies.

Assume the cat b rookies stay category b. (frederick and pudney)

Ladhams and Lienart are third year rookies with contracts so they must go onto the main list.

Sutcliffe and Cox get another year on the rookie list.

Hewett finally departs!

42 main list. 2 rookies. 2 cat b.

AJ de-listed. 41...2...2.

Let's assume we trade for no players. (which is unlikely coz we normally do)

Let's assume 3 picks in the main draft First round, Mead, someone else...prob trade to try and get second pick before Mead.

So...we need to get to 37 players at most on the main list.

Trengove - delist.

McKenzie - de-list with intention to pick up in rookie draft.

39... 3...2.

Trade two of Ryder, Sam Gray, Bonner.

Something something. 37..3...2.

Two picks before Mead plus Mead. One rookie.

Something...something... we probably move on a couple more.

We are going to have to move a reasonable number of players off our list.

At the moment we have 40 on the main list, 5 rookies and 2 category b rookies.

Assume the cat b rookies stay category b. (frederick and pudney)

Ladhams and Lienart are third year rookies with contracts so they must go onto the main list.

Sutcliffe and Cox get another year on the rookie list.

Hewett finally departs!

42 main list. 2 rookies. 2 cat b.

AJ de-listed. 41...2...2.

Let's assume we trade for no players. (which is unlikely coz we normally do)

Let's assume 3 picks in the main draft First round, Mead, someone else...prob trade to try and get second pick before Mead.

So...we need to get to 37 players at most on the main list.

Trengove - delist.

McKenzie - de-list with intention to pick up in rookie draft.

39... 3...2.

Trade two of Ryder, Sam Gray, Bonner.

Something something. 37..3...2.

Two picks before Mead plus Mead. One rookie.

Something...something... we probably move on a couple more.
Don’t think we will take 2 picks before Mead as we need free list spots when using points to match bids.

I’d follow your logic but add to it delisting and re-rookie Sam Mayes or re-rookie Lienert.

I was thinking second rounder bundled
Don’t think we will take 2 picks before Mead as we need free list spots when using points to match bids.

I’d follow your logic but add to it delisting and re-rookie Sam Mayes or re-rookie Lienert.

The Mead matching confuses me. Don't know what we have to match. Don't know what picks we have. Don't know what we do with our cluster of fourth rounders. I was sort of think upgrading our second to a pick in the teens with some combo of second / ryder /gray and fourths leaving a pick good enough for mead. (say something like 10, 15, 40?) Mayes would work as a re-rookie.

I was thinking second rounder bundled

The Mead matching confuses me. Don't know what we have to match. Don't know what picks we have. Don't know what we do with our cluster of fourth rounders. I was sort of think upgrading our second to a pick in the teens with some combo of second / ryder /gray and fourths leaving a pick good enough for mead. (say something like 10, 15, 40?) Mayes would work as a re-rookie.
Yeah I’m sure Parker and co are busily crunching the numbers on trading up, down or out to 2020. It will be interesting to see what sort of draft hand we end up with.

Positioning ourselves for Schofield and wherever a bid my come for him in 2020 adds further complexity too.

Who has already called time?
The Power don't have anyone who has announced their retirement so far.
Is it time for goodbye?
The Power's ruck stocks are so good – with the recently re-signed Peter Ladhams, West Coast premiership winner Scott Lycett and promising youngster Sam Hayes - that veteran big man Paddy Ryder (31 years old) might need to move clubs. Ryder has been linked to Greater Western Sydney as a solution to the Giants' ruck issues. Ryder is currently being preferred ahead of Lycett, who signed a five-year deal with the Power at the end of last season. Former Melbourne co-captain Jack Trengove, 27, has played just three senior games in two years with the Power and could struggle to remain on the list next season. Swingman Justin Westhoff turns 33 in October, but his importance, durability and versatility – he's now currently playing as a key defender – will certainly ensure he goes on in 2020. - Lee Gaskin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back