List Mgmt. Player List Management 2019-20

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I know all of us think that this was a failed year, and we should have made the 8, but for the article to clearly state in the first line that we weren’t expected to make finals, then give us a D+ for finishing 1 game and 2 spots out of those finals is pretty funny. Surely based on their first line our season was a pass?

The most worrying thing is the last line. That we should be expoected to make finals next year on organic growth of our youngsters.

My biggest fear going into next year is that they are just going to think that this will happen automatically and I have no confidence in our coaches upholding standards that see everyone desperate to improve.

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I know all of us think that this was a failed year, and we should have made the 8, but for the article to clearly state in the first line that we weren’t expected to make finals, then give us a D+ for finishing 1 game and 2 spots out of those finals is pretty funny. Surely based on their first line our season was a pass?
We weren't expected to make finals as we were 'going to play a bunch of youngsters who'd be up and down'. We didn't play a bunch of them and those we did were more consistent (to a good standard) then our older players. Just because we finished where expected doesn't make it a pass.

the problem still comes down to dog s**t skills because we have zero elite coaches at the club. average coaching makes average skilled players. aren't we in the bottom 4 or something for efficiency over the past 5 years? i only heard Kornes bring that up once or twice probably because it's so damning

edit sorry bad thread for this but

Last edited:

Jan 20, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
We weren't expected to make finals as we were 'going to play a bunch of youngsters who'd be up and down'. We didn't play a bunch of them and those we did were more consistent (to a good standard) then our older players. Just because we finished where expected doesn't make it a pass.
Why?

Gold Coast were expected to finish bottom and they did. That doesn't make their season a pass. It means they were expected to perform poorly, and they did.

I get both of these things, it’s just the semantics of it. The definition a pass is the bare minimum achievement expected. I certainly don’t think this season was a pass, just saying it’s funny the media are saying meeting their expectations is a fail.

King_Tredrea

Premiership Player
Oct 1, 2007
Port Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dubs, Bills, Chelsea FC
The only pass mark for 2015-19, each year, was to put ourselves in the position to be a Hot finals series away from a Grand Final. You could MAYBE argue that ‘17 was a pass, going by that standard? But even then, you need to Finish Top 4 to consider yourself a contender, so No.

In reality after 7 seasons of Hinkley the only one that you could say truly gets a Pass mark is 2013. Ever since then it’s been a spectacular fail.

jac147

Club Legend
Jun 10, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
the problem still comes down to dog s**t skills because we have zero elite coaches at the club. average coaching makes average skilled players. aren't we in the bottom 4 or something for efficiency over the past 5 years? i only heard Kornes bring that up once or twice probably because it's so damning

Get Sam Mitchell here!

SaltnPepperSam

Cancelled
May 20, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

How do you define "elite" coaches? Because Schoey at least has an outstanding record before jumping across?

I never really rated him that highly, did alright as a defensive coach but nothing to brag about. Still would like to hear the way simba_ defines elite coaching

schofield has only been here 5 minutes, i was referring more to the last 5 year period and how many/few elite coaches we've had to instil elite skills into our elite youngsters. the answer is basically zero, which is why they don't turn into elite seniors. if you want to consider schofield an elite AFL coach already that's cool but he doesn't quite have those runs on the board yet.

SaltnPepperSam

Cancelled
May 20, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Coaches Norwood for 4 years, wins 2 flags, 74.7% winning record. A little better than just a defensive coach.
As in a good defensive coach for us and as an AFL assistant, im well aware of his SANFL record

schofield has only been here 5 minutes, i was referring more to the last 5 year period and how many/few elite coaches we've had to instil elite skills into our elite youngsters. the answer is basically zero, which is why they don't turn into elite seniors. if you want to consider schofield an elite AFL coach already that's cool but he doesn't quite have those runs on the board yet.

That's a fair call, we haven't had many good coaches. Always interesting to hear others opinions on what 'elite' is

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I get both of these things, it’s just the semantics of it. The definition a pass is the bare minimum achievement expected. I certainly don’t think this season was a pass, just saying it’s funny the media are saying meeting their expectations is a fail.

No it isn't. If your kid spends all of Year 6 eating glue and then spends all of Year 7 eating slightly less glue, it's not a pass just because he ate less glue than he was expected to.

The definition of a pass is measured against the performances of your peers, not just against your own expectations. If you're expected to fail and you do, it doesn't suddenly become a pass.

If your kid spends all of Year 6 eating glue and then spends all of Year 7 eating slightly less glue, it's not a pass just because he ate less glue than he was expected to.

Yeah, but he's on a sweet trajectory towards a no glue future.

Yeah, but he's on a sweet trajectory towards a no glue future.

363cdfda7ad2e47086f037ddb41666ef.jpg

Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
No sure if it fits here but I still see our list weakness being class and speed in that wing/HFF and link roles. The role that Lynch plays at the Crows and Smith at the Hawks.

But I’m not sure we need to look beyond our list. Amon, Duursma and Motlop are probably the only players we have filling this role currently.

Burton, Ebert and Lienert could all play that lead up role. Whilst I wouldn’t mind seeing Farrell, Butters, Burton, Bonner and Patmore getting a gig on the wing or through the middle. These players all have good pace, are good runners and have sublime skills, exactly what our midfield brigade needs.

We have seen how good Houston has been since shifting into the middle. Can’t see why Bonner on a wing or Burton/Farrell/Butters in the middle couldn’t work.

Oct 8, 2004
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
Oct 7, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Are there other teams?
The list managers would be factoring in Jackson Mead, Taj Schofield, Jace Burgoyne and, maybe, Jones. That may add a bit of class on the outside. Rucks are set for a decade. It’s they key positions and goal scorers we need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back