List Mgmt. Player List Management 2019-20

Status
Not open for further replies.

Granny Duurs is Lovely

All Australian
Jun 11, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I think it was announced that Westhoff had triggered the one year extension, not signed the one year contract. You seem to be able to get out of triggered extensions if it suits the player (and club).

Triggered extensions just mean that the player automatically has an 'offer' in front of them - the offer of the current contract being extended. They don't have to accept that offer though and are likely to discuss their position at the club before doing so.

Another example described in the recent AFL.com.au article is Casboult. "Casboult triggered a one-year extension in his contract after playing 30 games across the past two years, however he is still expected to look for more security before agreeing to exercise that clause."

So some players may choose to look elsewhere before agreeing to the terms of the contract extension they've triggered. Westhoff is probably considering if he actually wants to play on or not, not looking elsewhere.

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Good to see we gave games to S.Gray, Ryder and Borsdbent despite having no intentions to hold on to them.
I'll believe Broadbent is gone when I see he's been delisted. Kicking issues down the road is a Port specialty of late. Cutting Broadbent as part of addressing our dire list balance this year, rather than a mass of retirements in only 2-3 years would show some foresight, not something the current regime has shown much of.

PowerBaz

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Have never understood the Westhoff bashers. Still in the first dozen picked for me. Age is just a number. He could play Tuck like numbers if he has the want...

Only so many spots in a team. He still is and will be in the first 12 picked but he's either taking a role away from a young forward or back. Then there is Ebert too, we are on the cusp of a pretty revised team.

Tibbs

The Bearded ZERK!
Sep 9, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Have never understood the Westhoff bashers. Still in the first dozen picked for me. Age is just a number. He could play Tuck like numbers if he has the want...
I agree, I thought he was excellent at full back late in the year.
Only so many spots in a team. He still is and will be in the first 12 picked but he's either taking a role away from a young forward or back. Then there is Ebert too, we are on the cusp of a pretty revised team.
Thats true, but they still have to earn their spot, and IMO continuing their development in the twos is severely under-rated. Guys like Ladhams have shown that they can develop as quick, without being gifted games, and can do so with less pressure & scrutiny.

I like Westhoff and he’s probably done enough to earn another year, but is he part of our next premiership.

We exist for the best team each week or build to win a premiership? We need to ask that every trade period, every contract renewal and selection each week.

So who is better? Cox or Woodcock?
Cox for mine. Woodcock is a pretty quiet player that can bob up and kick a couple of goals. Cox on his day can take half a dozen contested marks and is capable of kicking bags.

Different types. Woodcock is more a traditional rover who can play on ball and crumb goals playing forward. Cox is more a marking small forward who can cause real headaches.

I like what iv seen of Cox but he needs to kick straight
He's normally a great kick at goal. Could be finals pressure getting to him.

Brett Eddy crumbled at South in finals as well as in the GF in 2017 for us.

So who is better? Cox or Woodcock?
Cox, but he hasn't been as good, especially his kicking, since he had that lacerated kidney injury late this season.

I like what iv seen of Cox but he needs to kick straight
Cox had kicked 25.10 before his kidney injury. has kicked 2.5+1.2 = 3.7 in the two finals so far.

Tredrea_Wanganeen_Gray

Team Captain
Apr 4, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
He's normally a great kick at goal. Could be finals pressure getting to him.

Brett Eddy crumbled at South in finals as well as in the GF in 2017 for us.

This is the thing for me. I reckon he can't handle the pressure of bigger occasions. Which would mean him transitioning from SANFL to AFL football may be quite hard for him to handle mentally.
So I would back in Woodcock- he's produced under pressure in moments in last years finals.
I also am not sure Cox's gamestyle of being a marking target will work at AFL level whereas Woodcock's ground ball style may translate better.
I can see it now though- Ken is in his 10th season (Koch will throw a party) and he isolates Cox inside our 50 as our "only marking key forward".

This is the thing for me. I reckon he can't handle the pressure of bigger occasions. Which would mean him transitioning from SANFL to AFL football may be quite hard for him to handle mentally.
So I would back in Woodcock- he's produced under pressure in moments in last years finals.
I also am not sure Cox's gamestyle of being a marking target will work at AFL level whereas Woodcock's ground ball style may translate better.
I can see it now though- Ken is in his 10th season (Koch will throw a party) and he isolates Cox inside our 50 as our "only marking key forward".
Hopefully because he is young maybe the early finals experience can help him adjust quicker. He did kick an important goal late in the game and the boys got around him. As for Kens fixation of a small marking target, it didn't work with Neade, Sam Gray and Farrell (nor should it have), but if it doesn't work with Cox, it won't work with anyone.

Tredrea_Wanganeen_Gray

Team Captain
Apr 4, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Hopefully because he is young maybe the early finals experience can help him adjust quicker. He did kick an important goal late in the game and the boys got around him. As for Kens fixation of a small marking target, it didn't work with Neade, Sam Gray and Farrell (nor should it have), but if it doesn't work with Cox, it won't work with anyone.

Even that goal came off really poorly (just happened to go straight). It doesn't look to be physical like I read above but more in the head.
Prior to the finals he has been as reliable as anyone. I hope he can get over the "pressure" as he is a great talent.

Chrizzt

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
While Cox has been more impressive at SANFL level I get the feeling that Woodcock can transfer his game more to AFL level than Cox can. I can see Cox getting absolutely destroyed by AFL-level defence and having no other strings to his bow to make things work. Not saying that's definite, just a hunch I get from watching.

Tibbs

The Bearded ZERK!
Sep 9, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Wow, you have completed discounted the after-affects of a very serious injury, and have made that conclusion after what? Two finals matches?

.... Ok.

While Cox has been more impressive at SANFL level I get the feeling that Woodcock can transfer his game more to AFL level than Cox can. I can see Cox getting absolutely destroyed by AFL-level defence and having no other strings to his bow to make things work. Not saying that's definite, just a hunch I get from watching.

Yeah I feel the same way. Woodcock is actually a traditional crumber, which at that height you have to be. Cox just seems like a poor man's Brett Ebert. He'll be an excellent SANFL player but I'm not sure he ever makes it at AFL level.

Sep 20, 2007
Dungeon
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Yeah I feel the same way. Woodcock is actually a traditional crumber, which at that height you have to be. Cox just seems like a poor man's Brett Ebert. He'll be an excellent SANFL player but I'm not sure he ever makes it at AFL level.
Yes, Brett Ebert is the player that comes to mind when I watch him too. A KPF trapped in a small forward's body.

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Ebert would be safe as houses. Can you see our current regime having the balls to say a player with the surname Ebert isn't in the 22 next year if fit? And I'd have a heart attack if the club had the balls to put him up for trade.

Tibbs

The Bearded ZERK!
Sep 9, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Funnily I feel the opposite.

i have been able to watch every Magpies game this year, & IMO Cox has X-factor that Woodcock doesnt. Has the ability to alter a game, & win it. Whereas I just see a run-of-the-mill player in Woodcock.

Going to be interesting to see if & how they make a go of it at AFL level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back