drcollossimo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 22, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide United
Reports are that Swans are interested in Sam Gray. Port end up empty handed zero compensation while Sam wins out of it
Nah Port are the big winners here, Ken has shown when it comes to S.Gray he can’t help himself or be trusted

this is great for us

Oct 7, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Are there other teams?
On the list changes in the last 24 hrs-

Sam Gray- I've been respectful of Sam elsewhere on this board because he always gave Port 100%. But he was holding us back. He could not kick more than 35 meters reliably and far too often he burnt the ball when there was an easy option. Those moments suck all the energy from a team. I call them "Pittard moments" and we all know what they are. They are more than "clangers"- clangers are when you kick it and the opposition marks it. "Pittards" are when you have two players 50 meters apart near the goals marked by a single defender 25 meters from both and you kick it straight to the defender. Sam played a role lots of players can play- Aaron Young did it, Farrell has already done it- it's called being the 6th most dangerous forward, the one who gets the least attention from the opposition and therefore the one who finds himself unmarked near goals a lot. If we are to get better we have to have 6 dangerous forwards on the ground, not 5 and Sam.

Wylie Buzza- can't believe people are knocking this one. Has potential. He is here as back up- what the Americans call a squad player. We have invested heavily in Todd Marshall and he seems almost ready to be an AFL player. He will play every game barring injury or an extended run of poor form. Buzza has the size, the athleticism and has shown glimpses of being a handful for defenders. It was not Buzza or Frampton- Billy wanted 3 years, we weren't prepared to offer it. It's not Buzza or Howard- Howard got a huge offer from St Kilda and wanted to take it. It was Buzza or no tall forward back up to Dixon and Marshall other than Watts, Westhoff and Hayes who are all earmarked for other positions. Late to footy, Buzza still has room to improve markedly.

Two list changes I like for the betterment of Port.

If we sign 2 free agents, there's only 3 list spaces, making all those picks in the 60's null and void.
Surely we have 4 spaces left if we sign 1 more guy?

OUT: Howard, Ryder, S.Gray, Trengove, Broadbent, Frampton (Sutcliffe who was an extra player replaces Hewett on the rookie list, nobody has to replace Pudney)
IN: Buzza

Am I missing someone, or is Sutcliffe on the main list?

Sleezy

Premiership Player
Mar 17, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Surely we have 4 spaces left if we sign 1 more guy?

OUT: Howard, Ryder, S.Gray, Trengove, Broadbent, Frampton (Sutcliffe who was an extra player replaces Hewett on the rookie list, nobody has to replace Pudney)

Am I missing someone, or is Sutcliffe on the main list?
Out Johnson.
In Ladhams & Lienert

Ladhams and Lienert don't get elevated until the end of the draft for picks that mean nothing. They get made up after the draft is finished.

We will have six live picks heading into the draft for that reason.

OUT: Ryder, Sam Gray, Trengove, Frampton, Howard, Broadbent, Johnson

Draft Picks: 12, 18, 29, 66, 67, 68, 71

Buzza cost us Pick 86. We'll drop Pick 71 once the draft begins because we don't have enough list spots, but 71 is worth all of 29 points so big whoop.

66, 67 and 68 are still in play, and matching a bid on Mead if he was bid on at 30 would only cost us 224 points from our 2020 second round pick - which is the equivalent of a 9 pick downgrade on a pick we will be using on Schofield and Jones anyway.

Mar 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Man Utd, Celtic, Tanunda
Six picks in total - unless we pick up any more DFA's, or delist anyone else.

If we keep our primary list numbers at 40, and allowing for the post draft elevation of Lienert and Ladhams to the main list, then we have 4 main draft picks and 2 rookie picks, giving us 40 main and 4 rookies (plus Frederick who is a separate Cat 'B' rookie to the allowable total lists of 44).

HotSausage69

Premium Platinum
Aug 25, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Any interest in Matt Eagles? Big Port Adelaide supporter, even while at Brisbane. Tall defender, played really well in the NEAFL, B.O.G in the grand final. (poor comp I know but can only play what's in front of you). Is getting on a bit, will be 30 by the time next season starts but could be a handy depth player after losing a few talls already. Will probably be content knowing he'd likely be playing for the Magpies most of the season.

PAFC21

Draftee
Oct 3, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Any interest in Matt Eagles? Big Port Adelaide supporter, even while at Brisbane. Tall defender, played really well in the NEAFL, B.O.G in the grand final. (poor comp I know but can only play what's in front of you). Is getting on a bit, will be 30 by the time next season starts but could be a handy depth player after losing a few talls already. Will probably be content knowing he'd likely be playing for the Magpies most of the season.
Wouldn’t be the worse of pick ups

ClickBOOM1870

All Australian
Jul 27, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
So are we likely to sign Matt Allen?

I know absolutely nothing about him except that the Eagles website lists him as a 193cm athletic power forward with pace and endurance, who is a quality ball user. Another article suggests he can play through the midfield.

Im picturing a Darling/Lynch type player my head and the light knows we could use one of those as a free hit!

Not being able to break into a WCE midfield or forward line is hardly an indictment on the kid given the talent they have in both areas.

Is it worth the punt?

Last edited:
Eagles would be a reasonable depth ‘break glass’ option, but id prefer we deaft a younger KPD with one of our later picks

robbo1981

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2011
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Eagles would be a reasonable depth ‘break glass’ option, but id prefer we deaft a younger KPD with one of our later picks
[/QUOTE]
Do you know if we were even interested in brand? Would of been a handy depth kpd.

rumoursofwinter

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 7, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
According to the afl site, list lodgement 1 (Thursday 31 October) includes rookie upgrades to the primary list and retained rookies.

I would have thought that means Ladhams and lienart have already been upgraded, meaning we just have 4 live picks atm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back