List Mgmt. Player List Management 2019-20

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Portia, if we were really going down that path, we don’t re-sign McKenzie and we don’t rookie Sutcliffe.

That’s why the article is just Rucci’s own opinion.

What if we're tanking in 2020 to get more of them juicy single digit draft picks?

Granny Duurs is Lovely

All Australian
Jun 11, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
An absolute rubbish article from Rucci where he just makes up his own narrative without actually having any insight from the people in charge except a throwaway line from Keith Thomas about how they knew they needed to change the list at the end of 2018 - something that Thomas was adamant didn't need to happen in 2013 when Ken took over because the list was good enough according to Cripps, when it clearly wasn't. That's what I would have asked if I was talking to KT - 'So you're saying you got it wrong when you believed it was a top four list?'

It didn't start in 2018, it started in 2016 after we got a glimpse as to how s**t our depth really was with the massive amount of injuries we had. That was when we decided to trade out of the 2017 first round and into 2016 where we picked up Marshall, Powell-Pepper, Atley and Drew. That's why we selected Rockliff and Motlop as free agents - it had nothing to do with 'moneyball' and had everything to do with the fact that we didn't have a first round pick in that draft.

Jason Cripps said that our strategy is to target certain draft crops and skip others. It's why we traded out of 2017 and into 2016. It's why we targeted 2018. It's why we traded out our 2019 third round pick last year, and why we weren't going to allow Ladhams and Amon to go to other clubs because the draft picks wouldn't have been worth the talent that we lost.

Keith Thomas says, “It is a solid group aged under 25. And we go to the draft again in a good position to inject more high-end talent.” And Rucci takes this to mean we are building around our group under 21? That discounts guys like Amon, Byrne-Jones and Houston, because he implies they won't be part of our next flag...just because we traded out a 24 year old Howard who wasn't that good anyway? Ridiculous.

Next year we target Lukosius and Hately with multiple first and second round picks while bringing in Schofield and Jones through a stockpile of third and fourth round draft picks.

Let's put it this way - we still offered contracts to Frampton, Ryder and Sam Gray. So it wasn't a deliberate ploy to get rid of those players by Cripps, just an accurate assessment of where they were at. Getting two picks in the first round in this draft + Mead is sound draft strategy.

It actually started even earlier than this. Trading into the 2016 draft was after we lost all decent picks from the 2014-2015 drafts due to the Ryder/Dixon trades. Our first pick between these two drafts was pick 37 which we used on Bonner. There was a clear realisation around this time that we'd mismanaged our trade periods as we had traded in a player 2 years in a row for the exact same role at the cost of drafting any sort of real talent. We needed to right that wrong immediately by getting more players from 2016 than we otherwise would have needed to, and a change of strategy to focus less on trading players in (free agents being the better way to fill team needs without giving up picks).

2017 sees a number of our depth players ask to leave and we end up acquiring more recycled players than we'd otherwise have liked to (Trengove, Thomas, McKenzie, Barry etc.)

We trade into 2018 as we know its stacked with talent and that we need top end talent. When issues with Wingard are discussed the opportunity presents itself that the elite 2018 draft could be used to turn one elite player (wingard) into multiple elite players. Polec was just too expensive to match the offer.

Now 2019, we trade Howard because there's concerns about him. A very similar discussion clearly took place where he walked out of the club initially expecting to be back next year only to later be told he should explore options. It's similar to the Wingard situation, where the club believes it can get more than Howard is worth from the draft.

I also suspect there are still plans to move further up the draft - this is driven primarily by the fact we still hold pick 29. Instead of holding this and hoping the bid for Mead comes after this point (which will be lineball) there's a fair chance we have agreed to draft day trades depending on where certain players go. For example we could trade with Carlton for their pick 9 while swapping back from pick 29 to a later pick if they've identified Pickett as the player they want at this pick - who will still be there at 12/18. This is just one example, but no trades like this will take place until teams see who is taken on draft day - e.g. Carlton might prefer Serong if he's still there and won't give up pick 9 until they know Serong is off the table.

Revan11

Club Legend
Aug 7, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I also suspect there are still plans to move further up the draft - this is driven primarily by the fact we still hold pick 29. Instead of holding this and hoping the bid for Mead comes after this point (which will be lineball) there's a fair chance we have agreed to draft day trades depending on where certain players go. For example we could trade with Carlton for their pick 9 while swapping back from pick 29 to a later pick if they've identified Pickett as the player they want at this pick - who will still be there at 12/18. This is just one example, but no trades like this will take place until teams see who is taken on draft day - e.g. Carlton might prefer Serong if he's still there and won't give up pick 9 until they know Serong is off the table.
I am 95% sure that Carlton will bid on Henry at pick 9. They refused to trade pick 9 for pick 15+Martin!! Does this mean if Freo match the bid with 10, then Carlton can trade with us straight away?

Granny Duurs is Lovely

All Australian
Jun 11, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I am 95% sure that Carlton will bid on Henry at pick 9. They refused to trade pick 9 for pick 15+Martin!! Does this mean if Freo match the bid with 10, then Carlton can trade with us straight away?

It was 9+ second round pick for Martin + 15 that gc proposed.

But yes if Freo match then I think Carlton can still trade that pick.

EskimoPAFC

The Comebacks & Family Man
Dec 17, 2017
Success without Premierships
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
They already have?
1573332863942.png

Oct 8, 2004
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
Sam Powell-Pepper (out of contract)

Powell-Pepper didn't want to go anywhere when talk of Bomber Orazio Fantasia potentially coming to the Power surfaced, even with Essendon long liking him. He is from Western Australia but that doesn't automatically mean he wants to go home. Powell-Pepper spent time in the SANFL mid-season and any more of that may get the strong-bodied onballer thinking about his future.

So have I got this right?

We transferred players money from 2019 into 2020 not because we are poor but because we are stockpiling salary cap. By paying minimum in 2019, we save around $650,000 in salary cap. If we pay the minimum next year we save $700,000.

It means in 2021, we have banked $1,350,000 and can pay 105% of salary cap for the next two years until we have used up the $1,350,000 saved in the last 2 years. So in 2021, we will spend $1,400,000 more in player payments than 2020 ($700k to get from 95% salary cap, $700k getting to 105% salary cap).

Welcome to Port, Jack Lukosius. No wonder he was happy to sit on a base draftee contract instead of taking the pay rise to $500,000 offered by GCS.

Keep your bullshit detector up.

Koch says we are spending close to 100% of the cap, then we go pushing salaries into the next financial year.

We are doing it to make the books look good. Not to land a big fish.

Koch says we are spending close to 100% of the cap, then we go pushing salaries into the next financial year.

How much of our salary cap has walked out the door this year? Since they are no longer on the books and we are signing three, maybe four draftees on fixed rate contracts, we probably needed to move a chunk of salary into the next financial year to meet the minimum cap spend for 2020. We were already in the bottom four for cap spend this year.

The salary cap manoeuvring happened around the time that Howard was dropped from the side IIRC. You're basically looking at over $1.4m of salary cap walking out the door with the loss of Howard ($400k base), Frampton ($110k base), Ryder ($400k base), Broadbent ($200k base), Trengove ($110k base) and Gray ($200k base). Buzza, Ladhams and Lienert will eat up maybe $700k of that, but Pick 12, Pick 18, Pick 29/Rookie and Mead will account for way less than $1.4m.

Making the books look good, plus the salary cap banking, are just an added bonus.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oct 7, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Are there other teams?

Who knows? It makes sense to build on our 2017 draft and there is no doubt we are into Lukosius. Rumours of Wines testing the water was suspicious. Luko not resigning was suspicious. With Martin leaving for nothing, the pressure will be very great on GC if we make a decent offer, backed up by the capacity to get him in the PSD for nothing.

Mar 1, 2014
People's Republic of Onkaparinga
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
I took a look at the 2015 Anzac day game on FOXTEL last night and the staggering thing was of that 2015 side only five players still remain on our list. That shows the extent to which we have restructured our list over the last five years. I guess that is the nature of AFL footy.

JUSTWORK

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I took a look at the 2015 Anzac day game on FOXTEL last night and the staggering thing was of that 2015 side only five players still remain on our list. That shows the extent to which we have restructured our list over the last five years. I guess that is the nature of AFL footy.
Burning the list a the will of a dud coach to clear out all the “lazy” and “cancerous” players to give Hinkley every excuse for continuing to fail instead of realising the fact that maybe Hinkley is the problem.

Woodcock and Grundy delisted with hope of rerookeing

Lets get rid of every tall defender on our list clurey your next.

Grundy will get picked up by collingwood and any club with half a brain will see woodcocks talent

I need a lay down
I doubt anyone apart from us picks up either guy.

Oct 1, 2014
NeverNevers
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Grundy will get picked up by collingwood and any club with half a brain will see woodcocks talent

I need a lay down
I have no problem with this move as they will be picked up again as rookies. We obviously have some players in mind later in the draft.

Oct 1, 2014
NeverNevers
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

The club has delisted forward Boyd Woodcock and defender Riley Grundy but has committed to reselecting each of them in the AFL Rookie Draft later this month.

“We’d like to approach the upcoming draft with as much flexibility as we can from a list numbers perspective. Both Boyd and Riley are aware of this and have worked with us on this decision, putting the club’s needs first,” said General Manager – Football, Chris Davies.

“As players, both boys have shown significant development in their football this year and we look forward to seeing more improvement when they return to Port Adelaide in 2020.”

I need a lay down

“We’d like to approach the upcoming draft with as much flexibility as we can from a list numbers perspective. Both Boyd and Riley are aware of this and have worked with us on this decision, putting the club’s needs first,” said General Manager – Football, Chris Davies.

So either we have been spooked about the rules re using picks on Mead and having to have a lot of spaces on the primary list free to be able to use all our 4th round picks with points attached to them, and/or we are going to get into live trading and need to have the vacancies on our main list to be able to take advantage of the way the rules are written and any potential players that drop down the draft that we like.

I assume given they are were first year players this year they still get the standard 2 year contracts payment rates, and get a bit of cap relief as we can pay them a base outside the TPP of $80k. I doubt that $160k TPP underspend saving to land a big expensive fish is any material consideration to why we are doing this.

Edit and looks like Brody has agreed to a 7 year deal with Collingwood so Riley isn't bait any more to try and catch Brody.

Would be funny if another club jumped in and grabbed one of them.

So as of today our key defenders are Clurey and 188cm Jonas. yep that’s great.
The club will use Westhoff, Watts, Burton, McKenzie and Lienert.

Nemisis

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 27, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Can't Grundy and Woodcock demand payment for the second year of their contact?
Or have they waived their rights...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back