List Mgmt. Player List Management 2020-21

Remove this Banner Ad

Thats a lot of core talent leaving the side in quick succession. We will need a better plan than just using the draft to replace them.

Midfield will have a big hole that Rozee & Butters cant fill alone. We dont have a Dixon replacement in the system yet and anyone we get will take 4+ years to develop. Marshall and Georgiades are great but they arent Dixon.
Thinks its pretty obvious what we require at the draft/trading over the next couple years. Mids and a couple of monster KPP’s at either end. We have done a really good job at drafting the flankers/hybrid players that can go inside and out and fill multiple roles but now we need some genuine mids and KPPs. We get this right and our future can start to look very pretty.

Transitioning old guys out of the squad probably looks something like this;

October 2020
Westhoff 34 years even
Ebert... 30 years and 6 months

October 2021
Gray... 33 years and 6 months
Hartlett 31 years and 2 months
Rockliff 31 years and 7 months

October 2022
Boak.. 34 years and 2 months
Motlop 31 years and 7 months
Mckenzie 30 years and 6 months

October 2023
Dixon 33 years even
Lycett 31 years even
Jonas 32 years and 7 months

Westhoff -> Ladhams
Ebert -> Georgiades

Gray -> Williams?
Hartlett -> Garner?/Jones
Rockliff -> Drew

Boak -> Rozee - need a HFF to step up
Motlop -> Meh, hopefully replaced before then
McKenzie -> Pasini I guess?

Lycett -> Hayes
Dixon -> ??? Big Question Mark
Jonas -> ??? Littler Question Mark

The next couple of years gaps we can already fill. Afterwards, well we have a little time to address those I suppose. HFF position is a weakness, as we are losing the old guard, and our current youngsters will move into the middle, leaving no-one.

HFF position is a weakness, as we are losing the old guard, and our current youngsters will move into the middle, leaving no-one.

This is why we're going after Fantasia.

Westhoff -> Ladhams
Ebert -> Georgiades

Gray -> Williams?
Rockliff -> Drew

Lycett -> Hayes

The next couple of years gaps we can already fill. Afterwards, well we have a little time to address those I suppose. HFF position is a weakness, as we are losing the old guard, and our current youngsters will move into the middle, leaving no-one.

I see it more like...

expand...2020
Westhoff -> Marshall
Ebert -> ? (Fantasia)

Gray -> Butters
Hartlett -> Jones
Rockliff -> Rozzee (we don't need to replace with similar mid)

Boak -> ?
McKenzie -> Pasini

Lycett -> Hayes
Dixon -> ?
Jonas -> ?

- Marshall needs to roam
- Ebert to be replaced with pacy, skilful HFF
- We need to develop Ladhams as a key forward and also recruit a replacement for Dixon.
- Rozzee and Butters join SPP and Wines in midfield
- Need to find another high quality inside/outside mid to replace Boak.
- Need to find another hardnut to replace Jonas

I see it more like...

expand...2020
Westhoff -> Marshall
Ebert -> ? (Fantasia)

Gray -> Butters
Hartlett -> Jones
Rockliff -> Rozzee (we don't need to replace with similar mid)

Boak -> ?
McKenzie -> Pasini

Lycett -> Hayes
Dixon -> ?
Jonas -> ?

- Marshall needs to roam
- Ebert to be replaced with pacy, skilful HFF
- We need to develop Ladhams as a key forward and also recruit a replacement for Dixon.
- Rozzee and Butters join SPP and Wines in midfield
- Need to find another high quality inside/outside mid to replace Boak.
- Need to find another hardnut to replace Jonas
Yep, I can see that too. I was trying not to replace the outgoing players the with ones already in the 22 (IE replacing Gray with butters just leaves a butters sized hole), but I can see the logic.

It appears that some of my fellow posters are bit cross at my very harsh attitude towards the Hammer. I know that he is the most likeable of all the current Port players and personally I like the man, so it hurt me to write about Hammer the way I did. Let me come at this split second brain fade by Hammer from another direction.
Firstly, let me congratulate Defensive Coach Monty and the Port defensive roster for a brilliant 2020 season as after the completion of the 17 home and away games, we were the competition’s defensive leaders. No small effort as I’m sure that that roster spent hours practicing on the field, working out strategies on the white board (making sure the board was cleaned after the session) and countless hours watching videos. When Jarod Lienert was asked to fill in, he knew exactly what Monty expected and he never put a foot wrong.
That said, let my throw in a few “Port Adelaide” phrases that would only be understood by a Port supporter. Ron and Bubbles, Roger and George and Jasper moments.
The first two means that if in a game you were in a Bubbles or George situation you would know that you would have a Ron or a Roger just sitting behind you ready to lend immediate assistance. It’s helping your mate out and in 2020 our backline did that in bucket loads. You don’t need Jasper moments!
Now in that split second of knocking the ball out of bounds, Hammer had a Jasper moment and he shouldn’t have because if he had picked the ball up he would have had some Ron or Roger there to help - it’s the Port thing.
So Hammer’s brain fade or whatever you can call it was not acceptable. Yes it was brain fade and not a shirking moment.
I hope that sorts out my frustration from last Friday night!

Last edited:
Westhoff -> Ladhams
Ebert -> Georgiades

I have been saying for the second half of the season to play Georgiades on a flank. To me he isn't a permanent KPF. Can pinch hit there, but isn't tall enough and big enough to permanently play there.

He is 191cms, Ebo 189cms and Burton 191cms. To me he is similar to Ebo and Burton, good size, strong athletic types, but not a KPP. What he has got is that he launches himself at every marking contest - just like Liam Ryan but you wouldn't play flying Ryan at CHF permanently.

If we continue to bomb inside 50 we need someone who regularly takes marks. Georgiades has shown he has the smarts and the ability to float across the pack and take a pack mark. Playing HFF allows that as he isn't the main target about to be crunched by 4 or 5 others.

Yes there are some big holes to fill in the next 3 or 4 seasons. Hopefully this building the best possible U/23 squad works and they develop in time to fill the slots.

We are in quite an awkward situation with our rucks.

1. Ladhams is much better as the main ruck as he can turn games on his own playing also as a midfielder. Nowhere near the same impact in the forward line.

2. However without Lycett we are going to get killed in the rucks.

3. Lycett is absolutely hopeless going forward or being placed in defence.

Best scenario is that Ladhams somehow becomes a premier tap ruckman and drops Lycett from the side.

I have been saying for the second half of the season to play Georgiades on a flank. To me he isn't a permanent KPF. Can pinch hit there, but isn't tall enough and big enough to permanently play there.

He is 191cms, Ebo 189cms and Burton 191cms. To me he is similar to Ebo and Burton, good size, strong athletic types, but not a KPP. What he has got is that he launches himself at every marking contest - just like Liam Ryan but you wouldn't play flying Ryan at CHF permanently.

If we continue to bomb inside 50 we nee someone who regularly takes marks. Georgiades has shown he has the smarts and the ability to float across the pack and take a pack mark. Playing HFF allows that as he isn't the main target about to be crunched by 4 or 5 others.

Yes there are some big holes to fill in the next 3 or 4 seasons. Hopefully this building the best possible U/23 squad works and they develop in time to fill the slots.
MG is 192, same height as Charlie Curnow (who a couple of years ago before his injury concerns was one of the most exciting young KPF prospects in the game) and a whopping 1cm shorter than 3 time Coleman Jack Riewoldt. So to use his height as reason being capable of being a KPF is wrong....

That’s not to say we absolutely must develop him as a FF, as Schofield said earlier in the year probably has the potential to be a Nat Fyfe type and develop in the midfield. I’m not going to pigeon whole him asfter one year, If he can do that great and I’m also all for picking him on a HFF.

FYI Liam Ryan is 179cm so that’s a fairly silly comparison to be making.

MG is 192, same height as Charlie Curnow (who a couple of years ago before his injury concerns was one of the most exciting young KPF prospects in the game) and a whopping 1cm shorter than 3 time Coleman Jack Riewoldt. So to use his height as reason being capable of being a KPF is wrong....

That’s not to say we absolutely must develop him as a FF, as Schofield said earlier in the year probably has the potential to be a Nat Fyfe type and develop in the midfield. I’m not going to pigeon whole him asfter one year, If he can do that great and I’m also all for picking him on a HFF.

FYI Liam Ryan is 179cm so that’s a fairly silly comparison to be making.
2 sources say MG is 191 and another 192, that's why I went with 191 after going with 192 all year. I agree 1cm or 2cm don't make a difference. But why is Ryan Burton never talked about playing at CHB but always as HBF?? He's taller than Mckenzie and Jonas.

That's what I'm getting at, don't pigeon hole him as a KPP. People say you can't play Dixon, resting ruck, Marshall and Georgiades in our forwardline as we are too tall but I reckon that is a bit meaningless, its what role they play, and if Georgiades can do what Ebert did at HFF when Dixon, Ladhams and Marshall are in the forwardline, why not play him at HFF.

My mistake on Ryan, I thought he was 186cms not 179cms. The point was, having a floating forward who can take a hanger on a big bloke or a pack of big blokes is a valuable asset. You dont need that bloke to be the KPF who has to continually be the meat in the sandwich of the pack.

We are in quite an awkward situation with our rucks.

1. Ladhams is much better as the main ruck as he can turn games on his own playing also as a midfielder. Nowhere near the same impact in the forward line.

2. However without Lycett we are going to get killed in the rucks.

3. Lycett is absolutely hopeless going forward or being placed in defence.

Best scenario is that Ladhams somehow becomes a premier tap ruckman and drops Lycett from the side.
Ladhams is only better as the main ruck against certain types of rucks. He is great against the skinnier athletic blokes but he can't move the big log, older wiser types at ball ups and throw ins.

We have signed Lycett for 5 years. He has played 2 years. I expect him to still be the #1 ruck next year and transition out of that spot in the 2nd half of his 4th year and be #2 or #3 in the 5th year.

We desperately need to play proper B grade comp games next year if Covid is still hanging around, to develop Hayes properly.

2 sources say MG is 191 and another 192, that's why I went with 191 after going with 192 all year. I agree 1cm or 2cm don't make a difference. But why is Ryan Burton never talked about playing at CHB but always as HBF?? He's taller than Mckenzie and Jonas.

That's what I'm getting at, don't pigeon hole him as a KPP. People say you can't play Dixon, resting ruck, Marshall and Georgiades in our forwardline as we are too tall but I reckon that is a bit meaningless, its what role they play, and if Georgiades can do what Ebert did at HFF when Dixon, Ladhams and Marshall are in the forwardline, why not play him at HFF.

My mistake on Ryan, I thought he was 186cms not 179cms. The point was, having a floating forward who can take a hanger on a big bloke or a pack of big blokes is a valuable asset. You dont need that bloke to be the KPF who has to continually be the meat in the sandwich of the pack.
Combine said 192 and club website has been recently updated in the last few days to also read 192.

No worries. Maybe you’re thinking of Ryan from Freo who’d be around that height.

On Burton, probably more so the way he plays, rather than his height... although he did give Tex a bath a few years back as a hawk.

Last edited:
It appears that some of my fellow posters are bit cross at my very harsh attitude towards the Hammer. I know that he is the most likeable of all the current Port players and personally I like the man, so it hurt me to write about Hammer the way I did. Let me come at this split second brain fade by Hammer from another direction.
Firstly, let me congratulate Defensive Coach Monty and the Port defensive roster for a brilliant 2020 season as after the completion of the 17 home and away games, we were the competition’s defensive leaders. No small effort as I’m sure that that roster spent hours practicing on the field, working out strategies on the white board (making sure the board was cleaned after the session) and countless hours watching videos. When Jarod Lienert was asked to fill in, he knew exactly what Monty expected and he never put a foot wrong.
That said, let my throw in a few “Port Adelaide” phrases that would only be understood by a Port supporter. Ron and Bubbles, Roger and George and Jasper moments.
The first two means that if in a game you were in a Bubbles or George situation you would know that you would have a Ron or a Roger just sitting behind you ready to lend immediate assistance. It’s helping your mate out and in 2020 our backline did that in bucket loads. You don’t need Jasper moments!
Now in that split second of knocking the ball out of bounds, Hammer had a Jasper moment and he shouldn’t have because if had picked the ball up he would have had some Ron or Roger there to help - it’s the Port thing.
So Hammer’s brain fade or whatever you can call it was not acceptable. Yes it was brain fade and not a shirking moment.
I hope that sorts out my frustration from last Friday night!
If Rocky stuck his hand out, Hammer's "Brain Fade" becomes a non-issue! He didnt have a great game, but no worse than a number of others. If Boak kicks a goal like he should have ... we win!

So many what-if moments in that game ... I reckon we can back off the players, they are probably being harder on themselves than we are

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we continue to bomb inside 50 we need someone who regularly takes marks. Georgiades has shown he has the smarts and the ability to float across the pack and take a pack mark. Playing HFF allows that as he isn't the main target about to be crunched by 4 or 5 others.

According to Portia on the last podcast, we are heading for a massive cliff. If we don't start playing Marshall as a key FF we may well be.

According to Portia on the last podcast, we are heading for a massive cliff. If we don't start playing Marshall as a key FF we may well be.
To me a heading off a massive cliff means within a season or two you have lost 8-10 of your best players and you are heading for bottom 4. I don't see that. I think we will have 4 seasons inc 2020 to transition out upto 12 of our best 16 players. This year with covid made it tough to develop players who we want to fill those gaps.

Free agency will play its part in arresting any slide.

Last edited:
To me a heading off a massive cliff means within a season or two you have lost 8-10 o your best players and you are heading for bottom 4. I don't see that. I think we will have 4 seasons inc 2020 to transition out upto 12 of our best 16 players. This year with covid made it tough to develop players who we want to fill those gaps.

Free agency will play its part in arresting any slide.
Yeah I tend to agree but we must get Marshall up and running and get some good game time into MG, Hayes, Williams, Meade Pasini and a few others.
Where do you see Drew? I really like what he brings.

Yeah I tend to agree but we must get Marshall up and running and get some good game time into MG, Hayes, Williams, Meade Pasini and a few others.
Where do you see Drew? I really like what he brings.
If he doesn't get his foot and other issues right, he wont fill any holes left by retiring players. I think he can be part of the new midfield, but until you see him play 10-12 games in a row, its hard to know for sure.

I wouldnt pigeon hole him as a KPP right now. He can certainly play on the HFF, but it's pretty clear to me at least that he has a frame that when it fills out will be looking very much like a KPF. His height is offset by his leaping ability.

My only concern about him.being on the flank is whether he will apply enough defensive pressure, and whether he will have the gas tank to get up and down the ground.

I wouldnt pigeon hole him as a KPP right now. He can certainly play on the HFF, but it's pretty clear to me at least that he has a frame that when it fills out will be looking very much like a KPF. His height is offset by his leaping ability.

My only concern about him.being on the flank is whether he will apply enough defensive pressure, and whether he will have the gas tank to get up and down the ground.
Hes a Jack Darling style KPF. He needs to develop that kind if tank to succeed at that height.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Any thought on whether Ladhams could be our KPD answer? I'm thinking if Hayes comes on like we want.
He's gotta catch the ball more often to be a KPF. That is his biggest weakness playing forward.

I remember going to Glenelg Oval, pretty sure it was the opening game of 2017 SANFL season, it was a night game, so would have been his first league game for the Magpies, I had seen Ladhams in trial game and was impressed by his speed leading out if FF/FP, but that night he got his hands on a lot of kicks deep inside 50, maybe 10, and he just didn't mark enough of them. Think he took 1 mark and kicked a goal. 4 seasons later its still an issue with him.

I'd like to see him have a go at CHB, not to permanently play there, but if we get injury in a game or a complete disaster we throw him down there to plug a gap. Think he is athletic and agile enough to play there.

He's gotta catch the ball more often to be a KPF. That is his biggest weakness playing forward.

I'd like to see him have a go at CHB, not to permanently play there, but if we get injury in a game or a complete disaster we throw him down there to plug a gap. Think he is athletic and agile enough to play there.

That was my thinking.

It was more than that and you know it.
Absolutely.
Wingard was lazy and didn't out the effort in to reach the brownlow medal level potential he has.
Polec was a a selfish and soft player who repeatedly pulled out of contests.

Westhoff -> Ladhams
Ebert -> Georgiades

Gray -> Williams?
Rockliff -> Drew

Lycett -> Hayes

Fantasia will fill Ebert's role. We will go to free agency next year and beyond to help fill some of those spots. Besides that we need to hope the academy and F/S picks work out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back