List Mgmt. Player List Management 2020-21

Remove this Banner Ad

If we were selecting players that cost you big games we'd have a couple of senior boys from the PF that would be out the door with Bonner and Bonner didn't even play in it.. Lack of composure when under pressure is a trait I am not sure you can train out of a player. Some players are just made that way.
Only playing in big finals once in a blue moon doesn't help either but you are right to an extent, this years Brownlow runner-up s**t the bed more than once in that game.

It isn't a myth. His decision making is poor but he is a great kick.
So you are telling me that he's aiming for the crowd when he kicks it? I doubt it.

There's a guy called Lienert who is a more than adequate backup.

I agree with JimmyBC. One of the big reasons for our improved consistency and rise up the ladder has been getting rid of the flaky, inconsistent, tease type players - Howard, Pittard, Polec, etc. One week these guys are BOG, the next they cough up 4 goals directly from their own mistakes. You don't win flags with too many of these guys. Bonner is in that category.
[/QUOTE

Amon is one player who has really stepped up.
IF Bonner stays, he won't have too many chances left to prove himself.

People are so harsh on Bonner to the point of ridiculousness

I saw him as having improved this year. His workrate is well up from when we drafted him. I thought his disposal was pretty safe compared to the past.

I still think he was droppable at times this year (and he was dropped).

he’s not perfect but I think that plenty of run and carry defenders in the league are pretty well just as flawed as him defensively.

the difference is most of them play within themselves and hide their deficiencies by steering clear of contests by a wide berth or staying a handball away from packs or getting to the back of contests instead of to them.

I wouldnt be horrified if we did trade him for something we need though. There is a flaky side to his game, I think he lacks concentration is my main gripe.

My concern is that people think that jones makes him redundant. We’ve got bugger all actual run and carry defenders. I see Hartlett Houston Garner and jones as general medium / small defenders who offer some rebound. Dbj Frederick and bonner as our running defenders and one of those guys likely won’t make it.

if we trade bonner, I can see port overpaying some average defender in free agency.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I saw him as having improved this year. His workrate is well up from when we drafted him. I thought his disposal was pretty safe compared to the past.

I still think he was droppable at times this year (and he was dropped).

he’s not perfect but I think that plenty of run and carry defenders in the league are pretty well just as flawed as him defensively.

the difference is most of them play within themselves and hide their deficiencies by steering clear of contests by a wide berth or staying a handball away from packs or getting to the back of contests instead of to them.

I wouldnt be horrified if we did trade him for something we need though. There is a flaky side to his game, I think he lacks concentration is my main gripe.

My concern is that people think that jones makes him redundant. We’ve got bugger all actual run and carry defenders. I see Hartlett Houston Garner and jones as general medium / small defenders who offer some rebound. Dbj Frederick and bonner as our running defenders and one of those guys likely won’t make it.

if we trade bonner, I can see port overpaying some average defender in free agency.
I agree I thought he improved quite a bit this year. Players are very keen to get it in Bonner's hands as they exit defense so I think in general he has a good kick. I think lacking composure is a flaw, as is trying to bite off too much with the kick and turning it over. I don't like the way he get caught with the ball and isn't strong enough to dispose of it. Also doesn't get as many intercept marks as you might expect for 193cm.
I don't see him as a first 22 player but good enough to stay on the list. I thought he might find himself on the wing when Polec left but that ship has sailed long ago. Not sure how to rate Lienert, Bonner and Garner in order because each brings something different to the table although it might be in the order I have them for now with Garner hopefully pulling ahead of both.

Bonner is the new Pittard - until they hound him out of the club too. And then it will be someone else.

If we continue to accept poor disposal, we will never go anywhere. We have tried the 'play harder' route since the start of 2013 and it has got us nowhere. Richmond won a GF yesterday playing only 1.5 good quarters of football because they don't waste the ball. Bonner might not be as bad as Pittard because he doesn't shank kicks very often, but he makes shocking mistakes and has a low football iq. He will go alright in a mid tier team because his flash will cover up his weaknesses, and likely his bad games will mirror his teams. The simple question is do you trust him to play 3 finals in a row and not have a game where basic errors cost 2-3 goals? If the answer is no, then he has no place at the club. If you want to play him off a wing or HFF fine, give that a go, but he's not a defender's a-hole.

If we continue to accept poor disposal, we will never go anywhere. We have tried the 'play harder' route since the start of 2013 and it has got us nowhere. Richmond won a GF yesterday playing only 1.5 good quarters of football because they don't waste the ball. Bonner might not be as bad as Pittard because he doesn't shank kicks very often, but he makes shocking mistakes and has a low football iq. He will go alright in a mid tier team because his flash will cover up his weaknesses, and likely his bad games will mirror his teams. The simple question is do you trust him to play 3 finals in a row and not have a game where basic errors cost 2-3 goals? If the answer is no, then he has no place at the club. If you want to play him off a wing or HFF fine, give that a go, but he's not a defender's a-hole.
Do I see Bonner playing defence in a Port Premiership side - No I don't but I think he is a useful backup player and is a list player not a first 22 player. And I'll answer the next question. You can't have a list of 45 players who can walk into your first 22 because if you have guys who can play in an opposition first 22 they will walk to another club to get a game. Guys who are not first 22 players but have useful attributes are worth keeping on a list. Our disposal is infinitely better than a couple years ago. And you cite Richmond-they have got more hack kickers than us. They won on the back of being able to turn the ball over with their relentless pushing in the back, tackling any way you can , and constant harassment until you turn the ball over. If we did that we'd give away 60 frees per game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back