List Mgmt. Player List Management 2020-21

Remove this Banner Ad

Adz2332

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 9, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Leaving out our Prelim Final players, Fantasia, Georgiades, Aliir, Lienert and Mayes:

Woodcock Williams. T.Burgoyne
Bergman. ............ ..............
Schofield. Drew. Farrell
Bonner. Pasini. Jones
Frederick. Goldsack. Garner
Hayes. ............. Mead

So your point is well made. That side will struggle. We have got 2 or 3 more to add to our AFL list but if I had my way that would wait until the 2021 Draft Windows.

Midfield is bare... But when you look at the AFL squad we play tonnes of mids and mid / forward players!

so its not like we lack depth. if a mid goes down we can reshuffle the team. like if a mid goes down we can bring in a forward and play butters rozee gray more in the mid.
But we really need a tall forward / ruck for the maggies

Coobk001

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
SA Spurs, Anaheim Ducks, White Sox
Midfield is bare... But when you look at the AFL squad we play tonnes of mids and mid / forward players!

so its not like we lack depth. if a mid goes down we can reshuffle the team. like if a mid goes down we can bring in a forward and play butters rozee gray more in the mid.
But we really need a tall forward / ruck for the maggies
That's my point though, when it comes to depth for the AFL side, and players available to plug and play. Then we appear to have coverage.

But if you were to say the Magpies team, as a reserves unit should be a flag fav, then that would be wrong IMO. With a smaller list we'd also have more fill ins than 2019. We should be competitive, but I can't see us winning a SANFL flag next year as our list currently sits.

Mar 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Man Utd, Celtic, Tanunda
That's my point though, when it comes to depth for the AFL side, and players available to plug and play. Then we appear to have coverage.

But if you were to say the Magpies team, as a reserves unit should be a flag fav, then that would be wrong IMO. With a smaller list we'd also have more fill ins than 2019. We should be competitive, but I can't see us winning a SANFL flag next year as our list currently sits.
Yay.
Port are in the SANFL next season :rolleyes:
With one whole marquee player :rolleyes::thumbsdown:
Woo hoo, lets party :mad:
With top ups from A7 Ammos and those not good enough to make other clubs' reserves squads, but we still have to pretend we are serious about being in this elite comp and want to win flags!
Blow it out your a*** SNAFL.
The sooner we exit this sham of an organisation the better.

Did we retain Jack strange? Would be a real blow if we didn't.
If the club doesn't bother announcing it, we'll find out on the day of the intra-club match.

Bob Neil

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2011
At a table with old friends
AFL Club
Adelaide
I know it's not really Port news at this stage but seeing Sydney delist Sam Gray certainly vindicates your original decision to move him on.

Getting rid of mediocre, >23yr, fringe players doesn't have a big immediate payoff but the list space and opportunities it creates are underappreciated IMHO and I wish our mob was better at doing it and developing younger players.

Tibbs

The Bearded ZERK!
Sep 9, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I know it's not really Port news at this stage but seeing Sydney delist Sam Gray certainly vindicates your original decision to move him on.

Getting rid of mediocre, >23yr, fringe players doesn't have a big immediate payoff but the list space and opportunities it creates are underappreciated IMHO and I wish our mob was better at doing it and developing younger players.
Problem is we only do it after "gifting" them 99 undeserved games!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oct 7, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Are there other teams?

What club wouldn’t do this? Given the salary cap relief you get, we should have the minimum we can on the main list (37 I think) and the maximum on the rookie list (5 + 2 I think).

We are on target for this anyway. With Jones and Schofield we will have 36 + 3 + 1. That means one extra pick in the ND and 2 free rookie spots (we have no other category B rookies so our max list size for 2021 is 43).

As I have said elsewhere, leave the rookie spots free until the 3 draft windows next year after rounds 4, 8 and 12.

Oct 8, 2004
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
AFL clubs can move two of their senior players straight to the rookie list without having to redraft them, and keep $80,000 out of their salary caps in a last-minute change to list lodgement rules.
After calls from the clubs in a phone hook-up with the AFL on Monday, the league sent a memo to them on Tuesday night outlining the changes to give them more flexibility with reduced list sizes and salary caps.
Each club will be allowed to move two players straight to the rookie list for next season in the second delisted free agent period beginning December 1, without the requirement of having to go to the draft to do so.

Players who hold a contract for 2021 and who have been delisted from their clubs senior list with the view to being placed on the rookie list if not taken as a delisted free agent - such as Dylan Clarke and Sam Gray - would still receive the contracted amount they were owed for next year, but $80,000 of that will fall outside of the salary cap.

Under the new agreements clubs will be able to have four to six Category A rookies on their lists, plus two Category B rookies who no longer need to be upgraded to play AFL games.

Clubs are expected to have up to six Category A rookies to offset salary cap pressure, with $480,000 able to sit outside of their caps.

After protracted negotiations the maximum list sizes for next year is 44, including 36 to 38 senior players.

Oct 7, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Are there other teams?
AFL clubs can move two of their senior players straight to the rookie list without having to redraft them, and keep $80,000 out of their salary caps in a last-minute change to list lodgement rules.
After calls from the clubs in a phone hook-up with the AFL on Monday, the league sent a memo to them on Tuesday night outlining the changes to give them more flexibility with reduced list sizes and salary caps.
Each club will be allowed to move two players straight to the rookie list for next season in the second delisted free agent period beginning December 1, without the requirement of having to go to the draft to do so.

Players who hold a contract for 2021 and who have been delisted from their clubs senior list with the view to being placed on the rookie list if not taken as a delisted free agent - such as Dylan Clarke and Sam Gray - would still receive the contracted amount they were owed for next year, but $80,000 of that will fall outside of the salary cap.

Under the new agreements clubs will be able to have four to six Category A rookies on their lists, plus two Category B rookies who no longer need to be upgraded to play AFL games.

Clubs are expected to have up to six Category A rookies to offset salary cap pressure, with $480,000 able to sit outside of their caps.

After protracted negotiations the maximum list sizes for next year is 44, including 36 to 38 senior players.

Thanks. That means we will draft Jones and Schofield and a slider if we can’t resist- then have 2 rookie spots. Or we just take Jones and Schofield and have 3 rookie spots.

I would like us to take Jones and Schofield and bid on Borlase. If they match then take Edwards or Baldwin (unlikely to be available) or Durdin. If they are all gone, leave 3 spots and entice as many young guns as we can with the promise we will elevate one after round 4, one after round 8 and one after round 12.

Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Yay.
Port are in the SANFL next season :rolleyes:
With one whole marquee player :rolleyes::thumbsdown:
Woo hoo, lets party :mad:
With top ups from A7 Ammos and those not good enough to make other clubs' reserves squads, but we still have to pretend we are serious about being in this elite comp and want to win flags!
Blow it out your a*** SNAFL.
The sooner we exit this sham of an organisation the better.
And to say publicly they love us in the comp because we lift everyone's standards, and then cripple us like this.

MALTSY

Club Legend
May 2, 2011
silver sands
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
In terms of depth, backline (talls and smalls) is great, outside mids and small/medium forwards great, Hayes is great.

Inside midfield, only 1 key forward and no ruck support the biggest weaknesses.

C'mon down Fahey-Sparks. Surely will happen.
Waaaaayy smarter player and back up ruck than Frampton.

Oct 8, 2004
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
Current contracted for 2021: 38

The Power have their sights set on Next Generation Academy star Lachie Jones and father-son hopeful Taj Schofield at next month's draft so don't expect them to be overly busy. Martin Frederick is staying as a Category B rookie.

TimmyD11

Team Captain
May 19, 2015
Kapunda
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Fulham FC

David McKay is a prime example of this, how is he STILL on the list!

backtozero

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 26, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
And to say publicly they love us in the comp because we lift everyone's standards, and then cripple us like this.

I don't understand why the league tries to appease its clubs by making it harder for us to be competitive. They should just stfu and realise where their funding comes from. We've still never won a flag under these restrictions and all they do is complain about us being too strong and how unfair it is.

Oct 8, 2004
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
We can only list 43 players as we have 1 category b rookie.

We only have 5 spots available e.g. Jones, Schofield and 3 more.

In the medium term we will need a new key forward and key defender.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back