Opinion Player list management and game plan 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remember when Fabian Francis fluffed that kick in the Semi against Hawks?
Remember when he was gone quicker than you can say, "Freo Heave Ho"?
I miss that club.

Perhaps we've laid the accountability cards on the table and some of the players aren't liking what they're showing.

Polec wants to go to North and soak up their 'war chest' instead of being accountable to his teammates at Port.
Good riddance to him.

That vision of him giving Schuey that ridic free still burns.
Well I guess Impey was one of the reasons we lost the West Coast final and we got rid of him.

I will agree with output but not durability.

Rockliff was definitely a case of buyer-beware - hamstring, knee and shoulder injuries really affected his 2017 season - yet we gave him 4 years at the age of 28.

You have to also keep in mind team balance and needs - we have a lot of unskilled inside mids but very few skilled link players. This in most ways cancels out the statistical disparity.

Polec has surely fallen out with the coaching staff to be in this position, yet if that's the case his performances this season defy that, which is why I put this down to list mismanagement.

Injuries did impact Rockliff's 2017. In fact, Rockliff's injury-interrupted 2017 is comparable to Polec's career best 2018. The important difference is that Rockliff's injuries at the end of 2017 didn't appear to be anywhere near as career threatening as Polec's foot injury, which is why the club was comfortable offering a 4 year deal. It should be noted that Rockliff's contract package to get him to Port was worth $2.6 million ($650k per season), Polec's offer from North is $3.5 million ($750k per season).

As for team balance, Rockliff is an inside-outside midfielder capable of averaging high 20s disposals. He may not be as good a kick as Polec but he gets the ball often enough that he can impact a game on the outside just as well, if not better, than Polec once tackles and other team efforts are factored in. I'd say that's the exact type of player we needed at the end of 2017 to boost our midfield.

That said, I don't believe there was ever any intention for the club to let Polec go a year later when Rockliff was recruited. There doesn't appear to be any connection whatsoever between Rockliff's contract and Polec's contract offer.

You're claiming this is a list management blunder because the club does not wish to make Polec effectively our highest paid player. The justification for the salary is that he's highly skilled? How often has he won us games off his own boot? You want to pay him Robbie Gray money, he should at least impact as well as Gray is able to, no?

Injuries did impact Rockliff's 2017. In fact, Rockliff's injury-interrupted 2017 is comparable to Polec's career best 2018. The important difference is that Rockliff's injuries at the end of 2017 didn't appear to be anywhere near as career threatening as Polec's foot injury, which is why the club was comfortable offering a 4 year deal. It should be noted that Rockliff's contract package to get him to Port was worth $2.6 million ($650k per season), Polec's offer from North is $3.5 million ($750k per season).

As for team balance, Rockliff is an inside-outside midfielder capable of averaging high 20s disposals. He may not be as good a kick as Polec but he gets the ball often enough that he can impact a game on the outside just as well, if not better, than Polec once tackles and other team efforts are factored in. I'd say that's the exact type of player we needed at the end of 2017 to boost our midfield.

That said, I don't believe there was ever any intention for the club to let Polec go a year later when Rockliff was recruited. There doesn't appear to be any connection whatsoever between Rockliff's contract and Polec's contract offer.

You're claiming this is a list management blunder because the club does not wish to make Polec effectively our highest paid player. The justification for the salary is that he's highly skilled? How often has he won us games off his own boot? You want to pay him Robbie Gray money, he should at least impact as well as Gray is able to, no?

Some laughable claims in here Forza.

I don't think he's going anywhere but it does seem a little strange that Westy hasn't signed yet. Maybe his management are expecting a strong showing on B&F night and want to use that as leverage in terms of years/$ on the new contract?

I strongly suspect that westhoff is on hold until after trade week. He said he would take a pay cut if needed, so they might wait and see if they can reel anyone in and then do his contract?

If I were him I'd be asking for a two year contract and a pay rise. He deserves it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Amon wants out.....

I have started the car.

Where did you hear this? I'll pack his bags and drive him to the airport. Will even use my velocity points to book him a flight out of here!

Where did you hear this? I'll pack his bags and drive him to the airport. Will even use my velocity points to book him a flight out of here!

Channel 9 running with it.

It's true. Surprised it took this long to get out. Media wanting another story.

I wonder if North would have made the same offer to Polec if they knew that there was a chance with Wingard at the time?
Maybe should have got the Chad talk out a bit earlier so such large offers weren't made to Polly and we could have kept him at a reasonable price

I can’t imagine we would get very much for him at all.

Would love to see if we can bundle Amon with a late pick for a 2019 3rd round pick for points next year.

Unfortunately for Karl he doesn’t have what you need to make it. Will fill a spot on a list but I doubt he’s going to surprise us with any sudden improvement. He is what he is and I wish him luck

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back