Mar 8, 2013
On my high horse
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chicago Bears
And so it begins...

Essendon drug ban: Banned Bomber Nathan Lovett-Murray enlists own counsel

Disgruntled former Bomber Nathan Lovett-Murray has engaged a high-profile barrister as the fight for compensation after a year-long ban intensifies. Lovett-Murray has turned to Tony Nolan SC, who was by James Hird in his initial dealings with the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority.

Lovett-Murray is also expected to seek compensation for breaches of duty of care and reputational damages and his total claim is likely to be for hundreds of thousands of dollars.

I am praying the insurance companies are going to challenge payouts so we get the full cross examination in court with the players obliged to spill the beans to justify their claims.
If Essendon are insured as Little states the companies will not be interested in brand protection. I am curious to know if the insurance companies will challenge there right to make a claim as they were a party to the deeds.

I wonder if Essendon are not granted insurance coverage would the club survive? Would they AFL dig into the coffers?

Imo, none of them will get to Court.

Gillon has already given the heads up that he will contribute AFL money to the pot (as much as it takes) to "look after the players".

Already they will get all but their full wage this year. Plus paid courses have already been mentioned to keep them occupied this year. Whatever else is required in the pot to make the players happy enough to stay outta court will be provided by EFC, with guarantor of the AFL.

They have shown with their bastardry toward Hal Hunter that they will continue to diminish their practically non existent integrity to keep the still plentiful secrets secret.

We'll see if they can pull it off. Shouldn't be too hard. Afterall, it's all back in their own backyard again now.

Gillon has already given the heads up that he will contribute AFL money to the pot (as much as it takes) to "look after the players".

Already they will get all but their full wage this year. Plus paid courses have already been mentioned to keep them occupied this year. Whatever else is required in the pot to make the players happy enough to stay outta court will be provided by EFC, with guarantor of the AFL.

They have shown with their bastardry toward Hal Hunter that they will continue to diminish their practically non existent integrity to keep the still plentiful secrets secret.

We'll see if they can pull it off. Shouldn't be too hard. Afterall, it's all back in their own backyard again now.
I can't see the AFL and Essendon paying for it out of there own pockets even if it was only 20 million. Is Gillion just offering spin then when they sit down at the table with the players he starts playing hardball with a big haggle. I reckon a NLM would be prime to stay stick it , see you in court.

I can't see the AFL and Essendon paying for it out of there own pockets even if it was only 20 million. Is Gillion just offering spin then when they sit down at the table with the players he starts playing hardball with a big haggle. I reckon a NLM would be prime to stay stick it , see you in court.

It's already been reported EFC are successfully hitting up their deep list of deep pockets to build a fund.

Gillon has already declared that "whatever it takes", EFC will remain a thriving Club.

We'll see , i guess.

hal needs to try crowd funding, take it all the way, doubtful but one can hope

It's already been reported EFC are successfully hitting up their deep list of deep pockets to build a fund.

Gillon has already declared that "whatever it takes", EFC will remain a thriving Club.

We'll see , i guess.
The football public will have every right to be outraged if that happens. Means Joe in the stand gets to pay for Hirds wages, Hirds 1 million French jaunt, Essendons legals etc etc.
Reckon the media would play on that and that Gillion will be looking to keep everything under the table, what's it called.....Hush money, add that to the list.

I am praying the insurance companies are going to challenge payouts so we get the full cross examination in court with the players obliged to spill the beans to justify their claims.
If Essendon are insured as Little states the companies will not be interested in brand protection. I am curious to know if the insurance companies will challenge there right to make a claim as they were a party to the deeds.

I wonder if Essendon are not granted insurance coverage would the club survive? Would they AFL dig into the coffers?
Geoffrey Edelsten is looking for a team to buy now he has come out of chapter 11 and divorced those two floozies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope so too.

There's little doubt that the AFL would cover any payouts, hopefully as a loan to Essendon with some heavy strings attached so that Essendon survive but will not be able to prosper for many years to come.

I think the football public have every right to ask WTF is going on? Hird is found guilty and receives a wonderful parting gift of $1 million, a 12 month overseas trip, and the promise of a job upon his return. Players are found guilty of wilfully partaking in a banned substances program, suspended for 2 years backdated to 2015, even though they played that season. On top of this, the AFL are compensating them for lost income.

I mean, where in hell are the penalties? If I were found guilty of illegal practices in my job, there'd be no $1 million payouts, overseas holidays, promises of jobs. No year off work on full pay. I'd be sacked, with the opportunity to join the dole queue the following week.

The AFL are showing, yet again, that they are still not prepared to make a stance against drugs in sport. Spineless wimps.

I think the football public have every right to ask WTF is going on? Hird is found guilty and receives a wonderful parting gift of $1 million, a 12 month overseas trip, and the promise of a job upon his return. Players are found guilty of wilfully partaking in a banned substances program, suspended for 2 years backdated to 2015, even though they played that season. On top of this, the AFL are compensating them for lost income.

I mean, where in hell are the penalties? If I were found guilty of illegal practices in my job, there'd be no $1 million payouts, overseas holidays, promises of jobs. No year off work on full pay. I'd be sacked, with the opportunity to join the dole queue the following week.

The AFL are showing, yet again, that they are still not prepared to make a stance against drugs in sport. Spineless wimps.

So ... what to do about this ?

The public only have one course of action that the AFL would care about ... desist from stocking their coffers .
Pretty sure for most fans , to do what's required to achieve this outcome is a step too far .
The AFL know and count on this , but how far can you stretch a piece of string till it breaks ?

Over to you the people to have your say ...

So ... what to do about this ?

The public only have one course of action that the AFL would care about ... desist from stocking their coffers .
Pretty sure for most fans , to do what's required to achieve this outcome is a step too far .
The AFL know and count on this , but how far can you stretch a piece of string till it breaks ?

Over to you the people to have your say ...

I voted with my feet several years ago. I have a lot of issues with the AFL as an organisation. The Essendon saga is just the latest betrayal of my trust. I contribute about $0 to football every year now. Pretty sad really. I will occasionally pick up a Guernsey if I can find one on discount but compared to how I used to spend on merch, the AFL has lost a fortune.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back