Player managers : are they parasites that will ruin the game?

Remove this Banner Ad

NYMets

Club Legend
Jan 20, 2001
a windy hill by the sea
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Mets & ManUtd Giggsyrulz
This year more and more of these ****ers are springing up in the media. Are the players getting thier 20%'s worth or will they and the media outlets eventually ruin the game a la American baseball or Premier League futball?
:confused:

I hate player managers, the worst of the bunch is definitely David Allison. He has stated publicly that he cares nothing about the clubs, & couldnt give a rats about the salary cap, he ONLY cares about getting his player the fattest possible cheque - stuff the consequences.

Originally posted by Deej
I hate player managers, the worst of the bunch is definitely David Allison. He has stated publicly that he cares nothing about the clubs, & couldnt give a rats about the salary cap, he ONLY cares about getting his player the fattest possible cheque - stuff the consequences.
... which is exactly what you'd expect a player manager to do. If he's doing his job.

Originally posted by carneagles
... which is exactly what you'd expect a player manager to do. If he's doing his job.
He's good at his job, sure. But he's not good for the game. And he's a parasitic ****. And I hate him.

The problem with that attitude is that it permeates through to the players, who then stop playing for a club and start working for an employer.

Managers don't care about clubs because they don't make any money out of them.

Players, however, still need the clubs to provide the vehicle for their income producing activity - otherwise they're out with you and I and 45 hour weeks to pay the bills.

yes player managers are the root of the problem. THey constantly put up a players value to the point that average players are getting 100 000 a year. An average sales representative doesn't get paid 100 000 a year.

I agree that because of the professionalism of sport and the fact that players don't get a chance to make a living outside of AFL, that they should recieve good payment. But there must be a minimum payment that a club can give a player and each club must have say 3 players on that wage, and a maximum wage that a player can earn.

But he's not good for the game.
Is it "good for the game" when:

- a player manager shops a player around the clubs, driving his contract price up until a club blows half their cap to get him?

- a star player gets to the end of his contract and starts telling journalists how much he misses mum in Perth?

- the AFL is happy to sign off on a media deal which allows the broadcaster to warehouse AFL coverage to the northern markets?

- the MCC is happy for an interstate club to be shafted in the finals because, well, a contract's a contract?

The trouble is, nobody is looking out for "the good of the game" these days. Everyone's out for number one. Player managers are part of the problem, they're not the problem.

Is it "good for the game" when:

- a player manager shops a player around the clubs, driving his contract price up until a club blows half their cap to get him?

- a star player gets to the end of his contract and starts telling journalists how much he misses mum in Perth?

- the AFL is happy to sign off on a media deal which allows the broadcaster to warehouse AFL coverage to the northern markets?

- the MCC is happy for an interstate club to be shafted in the finals because, well, a contract's a contract?

The trouble is, nobody is looking out for "the good of the game" these days. Everyone's out for number one. Player managers are part of the problem, they're not the problem. [/B]

All of these things may be "bad" for the game, but only one of them is potentially devastating.

Player Managers are a necessary evil, but much of the current crop are nothing more than greedy, self-serving, leaches who offer little of consequence, but get handsomely rewarded in the process

Kevin

Originally posted by hourn
yes player managers are the root of the problem. THey constantly put up a players value to the point that average players are getting 100 000 a year. An average sales representative doesn't get paid 100 000 a year.

I agree that because of the professionalism of sport and the fact that players don't get a chance to make a living outside of AFL, that they should recieve good payment. But there must be a minimum payment that a club can give a player and each club must have say 3 players on that wage, and a maximum wage that a player can earn.
Last night on the fat they were saying that the AFL have tighter reigns on the managers' machinations than the Rugby League...anybody know what they are?

Not all of them are. However, Ricky Nixon can be really stubborn at times.

They all can be really rude to the media. The media shouldn't get involved with everything to do with the players.

Not necessarily. I would think most player managers would acknowledge that a 50% rise in the salary cap would probably put 5 or 6 clubs out out business. Therefore less players, or in their language, less clients.

I would *hope* most managers would share this opinion anyway. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Rob

I would *hope* most managers would share this opinion anyway. :rolleyes:
Allison's comments are entirely consistent with the stance they should be taking, if you look at the agency in isolation - they're putting the interests of their clients above everything else. If they start worrying about the well-being of the clubs, well, maybe it's not technically a conflict of interest, but it's quite possibly a breach of their duty to their client.

Of course, it's not good for the way the game is going. But all of the stakeholders are too caught up in their own self-interest to see the wood for the trees.

But I personally believe that the way he does it does himself no favours in the long term. The relationship between him and Carlton is shocking, meaning that if he wants any favours from Carlton in the future, he is not likely to get them. Allison doesn't negotiate, he just holds clubs to randsom. Allison is scum.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back