Player 'Mix up' (Mayne recruitment) and Collingwood's playling list management issues

Remove this Banner Ad

It certainly looks like it. It would be good if he can get a pay out and Pies can move on. All a bit messy.

I don't see how that happens. He has a contract. Sure, the Pies can terminate him but my understanding of how the salary cap works is that if they terminate him now, the whole value of his contract is counted in this year's salary cap (even if he agrees to take a lesser amount). Surely the Pies don't have a spare $1-1.5m (depending on the actual value and structure of his contract) of space in its 2017 cap?

If they hope to trade him to another club (probably while still paying a significant portion of his salary over the next three seasons - hence spreading out the salary cap impact), they've shown their hand in a surprising way. They may have struggled to find a buyer in any case, but if a club does agree to take him, it won't be on terms favourable to the Pies.

And if he stays at the club, he does so knowing the coach has come out publicly and said he never really wanted him at the club - not conducive to him feeling good about himself for the next few years. Even if that message had already been communicated privately (still poor for motivation), having it made public makes it all the harder for Mayne to put his head down and go about his business.

If this is actually true, then Buckley just lost all respect in my book. What a complete *******. Mayne should just give the whole department the finger and get out of there. Why Pies re signed Buckley is beyond me. Pies have just gotten worse every year under him.

Last edited:
You have the self-awareness of a zucchini.

Do zucchini's have less self awareness than any other vegetable or something? What a silly millennial cliche.

Why a zucchini? Why not a smashed avocado?

Just as recently as this week, Chris Mayne's father is on talkback radio saying how Collingwood has thrown his son under the bus. This is a circus.

The stories are leaking, Collingwood are being uncovereved as a sad state of a football club. A club that isolates individuals, strips them of their cultural integrity, hardwork and mental health.

And realistically it's not the club, its people at the club. Who honestly should be fired. Eddie I'm talking about you firstly.

Not sure how true it is but on one of the footy shows they mentioned Mayne was getting booed by the Collingwood VFL fans on the weekend. Even though he nearly had a match winning 4th quarter. He was in tears after the game as a result.

This is a flow on effect from Buckley's statement. If the coach is publicly berating one of his players then the fans will too. It seems togethet they will bully him to quit.

Do zucchini's have less self awareness than any other vegetable or something? What a silly millennial cliche.

Why a zucchini? Why not a smashed avocado?

Smashed avacados would be more appropriate coming from a Magpie fan. Toothless babies love to eat smashed avacados, Im thinking they must be a hit down at Collingwood.

This gave me a good chuckle. In what alternate universe is AFL coach Nathan Buckley a tall poppy?
In the same universe we've won more than 13 flags, we've actually won 4 in a row, we're the biggest club in the AFL and we've got the biggest membership base. That's the tall poppy. When you're the biggest, you'll get the minions trying to put you down in anyway they can.

In the same universe we've won more than 13 flags, we've actually won 4 in a row, we're the biggest club in the AFL and we've got the biggest membership base. That's the tall poppy. When you're the biggest, you'll get the minions trying to put you down in anyway they can.
Most of those are correct except I find 4 in a row in the 1920s a little irrelevant today. No one is alive today who saw them to actually talk about it which I think is a very important thing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Your club is funded by centerlink.

Most of those are correct except I find 4 in a row in the 1920s a little irrelevant today. No one is alive today who saw them to actually talk about it which I think is a very important thing.
Not a lot of younger footy people were alive when Richmond won their flags, doesn't mean they didn't win 10 flags or they're irrelevant.

Weak troll.
Then stop with the testosterone display and talk with some logic and sense.
Admit your club is a mess and has cultural issues board level down.
The AFL needs a successful collingwood but your club needs to make a stand against racism and sort out it's current issue.
Also there is scientific evidence that the majority of dole receiving individuals are infact collingwood members.

True but you only have to be in your 50's to have seen 5 and the rare millions of those people alive. Nobody is alive to have witnessed the four peat.
Imagine in 30 years time when you've got Giants fans saying all flags won before their inception are 'irrelevant' because they weren't around. Sounds silly now, but that's what you're saying because Collingwood won their 4peat before you were born.

Then stop with the testosterone display and talk with some logic and sense.
Admit your club is a mess and has cultural issues board level down.
The AFL needs a successful collingwood but your club needs to make a stand against racism and sort out it's current issue.
Also there is scientific evidence that the majority of dole receiving individuals are infact collingwood members.
Piss off. You want me to sit on my hands while you guys take free swipes at my club? At least my arguments are facts. Was there anything I said that was factually incorrect? If you told me your club has won the most flags, I wouldn't be feeling insecure about it because you wouldn't be saying anything wrong.

It seems to be a common thread since Eddie took over, that anyone who is unhappy with Collingwood quickly gets marginalised, booted out, and then blamed for everything. From Tony Shaw to Malthouse to the Cloke family, those who complain or criticise just get dismissed and branded as 'disloyal' attention-seeking nutters. And all the problems seem to be entirely the fault of people who aren't at the club anymore. Nothing is Eddie's fault, none of his decisions are wrong, and every problem should be hushed up and buried.

Eddie seems to me to be slowly going the way of John Elliot, who did a lot of good things for his club, but eventually damaged it by turning it into his personal fiefdom.

From an outsiders perspective they don't really seem to operate with the club first line of thought. Keeping their jobs seems more important than doing what's best for the club.

I can't see it getting any better until Eddie is gone.

For all of his faults, one of the great things Kennett did when he was at Hawthorn was introduce a two term limit for the President. I imagine it was done to avoid a similar scenario to what Collingwood are going through now.

Piss off. You want me to sit on my hands while you guys take free swipes at my club? At least my arguments are facts. Was there anything I said that was factually incorrect? If you told me your club has won the most flags, I wouldn't be feeling insecure about it because you wouldn't be saying anything wrong.
Look I understand you are passionate about your club and so is everyone else so saying things like ' you're the biggest clubs and everyone else's club are minions' when clearly someone put an argument in front of you about issues about your club, is clearly not a sensible response.
As for insecurity refer to the above. I was born in 87 and since then the HAWKS CATS LIONS have been successful teams and I am envious but I am not going to revert back to the old days of glory.

Look I understand you are passionate about your club and so is everyone else so saying things like ' you're the biggest clubs and everyone else's club are minions' when clearly someone put an argument in front of you about issues about your club, is clearly not a sensible response.
As for insecurity refer to the above. I was born in 87 and since then the HAWKS CATS LIONS have been successful teams and I am envious but I am not going to revert back to the old days of glory.
You, as a Blues fan, would understand better than most that things are never as bad as opposition supporters like to make it out to be when the chips are down. I don't disagree that there are issues that need to be rectified at Collingwood, as there are at many other clubs, but things are never as bad as people on BF like to make it out to be.

There are real issues at Collingwood. The typical response from supporters will be to

A/ Personally attack me or Richmond.

B/ Brush off my topic as ludicrous when it's quite clearly not.

C/ Bring up an issue that's irrelevant.

Let's talk about Mick Malthouse first. A highly decorated coach who was given over 10 years in control. He was afforded two rebuilds during that time, the second one he hit the jackpot and coached Collingwood to their first premiership in 20 years.

Once Buckley entered the picture, McGuire seemed more interested in creating a succession plan than allowing Malthouse to get the most out of this new list that he'd developed. No one has considered Malthouse throughout all this, how awful to strip him of all his hard work and place it on Bucks. Has there ever been a coach given such a great opportunity to succeed and failed so miserably? Maybe Longmire, but he didn't fail at all.

Travis Cloke and H' as he's often called (or Chimp, which is slowly, slowly becoming more concrete to the dismay of the Collingwood faithful), both had ugly exits, once their form deteriorated, so did the respect they seem to have had for themselves. Cloke went through an awful bout of depression, where his family would talk to anyone who'd listen, which could only be seen as a cry for help. Has there ever been a player so isolated and lonely? The Magpie supporters booed the hell out of him, choosing not to respect him for his premiership heroics.

H' has come out swinging, calling Buckley out and what's interesting to read was Malthouse's support of H'. In the paper today Mick said he's proud of the stance that Lumumba has taken. Not to mention Mick's article a few weeks ago where he spoke about how appealing a Richmond premiership is and how he's a Richmond man through and through.

Leon Davis and Krak both leaped to the defence of H'. Andrew said that the club forced him to play after the Goodes' King Kong remarks even though he didn't want too. I mean that's just appalling.

Just as recently as this week, Chris Mayne's father is on talkback radio saying how Collingwood has thrown his son under the bus. This is a circus.

The stories are leaking, Collingwood are being uncovereved as a sad state of a football club. A club that isolates individuals, strips them of their cultural integrity, hardwork and mental health.

And realistically it's not the club, its people at the club. Who honestly should be fired. Eddie I'm talking about you firstly.
I've been saying that there's something rotten at Collingwood for a while now.
More disappointment with each revelation.

My club? Really? Chris Mayne was in tears after putting in a damn fine performance in the VFL because the crowd was jeering him. We're not talking about the history of the CFC.

This is about the current administration and their boys club. You're clearly showing emotion, and that's admirable, but you've prepared an oral presentation on 'Global Warming' when the topic is 'Mechanical Engineering', you've missed the point.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back