Player 'Mix up' (Mayne recruitment) and Collingwood's playling list management issues

Remove this Banner Ad

My club? Really? Chris Mayne was in tears after putting in a damn fine performance in the VFL because the crowd was jeering him. We're not talking about the history of the CFC.

I have nothing against Chris Mayne and hope he can turn it around. But that damn fine performance was, as you said, in the VFL. Of course he was getting jeered, because it's the members money that is paying his salary. Who else is at fault for not being to cut the mustard and make it into one of the worst forward lines in the comp? (Don't be silly and blame Buckley)

This is about the current administration and their boys club. You're clearly showing emotion, and that's admirable, but you've prepared an oral presentation on 'Global Warming' when the topic is 'Mechanical Engineering', you've missed the point.

I keep hearing the same, yet no-one can give me any adequate proof of a 'boys club' and where the idea comes from. Because we re-signed our coach and he is known to have been a favourite player of the president, that's all everyone has?

As a general rule, the definition of an organisation in distress is one where performance is dropping, and every problem is either characterised as an external issue rather than an internal one, or is being blamed upon individuals who have either left in recent years, or just recently exited.

Where an organisation really gets into trouble, though, is where they only seek solutions from the same people have have been at the helm for a number of years. Those organisations can quickly trend from distress towards collapse.

Unfortunately, if this process lasts for too long the only way to fix the culture is rip the guts out of the management, roots and all.

Big year ahead for the Pies, I'd say.

I don't see how that happens. He has a contract. Sure, the Pies can terminate him but my understanding of how the salary cap works is that if they terminate him now, the whole value of his contract is counted in this year's salary cap (even if he agrees to take a lesser amount). Surely the Pies don't have a spare $1-1.5m (depending on the actual value and structure of his contract) of space in its 2017 cap?

If they hope to trade him to another club (probably while still paying a significant portion of his salary over the next three seasons - hence spreading out the salary cap impact), they've shown their hand in a surprising way. They may have struggled to find a buyer in any case, but if a club does agree to take him, it won't be on terms favourable to the Pies.

And if he stays at the club, he does so knowing the coach has come out publicly and said he never really wanted him at the club - not conducive to him feeling good about himself for the next few years. Even if that message had already been communicated privately (still poor for motivation), having it made public makes it all the harder for Mayne to put his head down and go about his business.
I suppose the point is that they're paying him regardless. The issue is whether he should take a spot on their list or not. If the give him the Tijuana they can take an extra draftee. Keeping him means this conjecture will continue to play out in the media for three more years.

Has a legitimate claim to top five worst footballer contracts of all time.

The rub is when Eddie took over, he said it was the end of the boys club at Collingwood.

I guess we didn't realise it would be replaced by a different boys club

I have nothing against Chris Mayne and hope he can turn it around. But that damn fine performance was, as you said, in the VFL. Of course he was getting jeered, because it's the members money that is paying his salary. Who else is at fault for not being to cut the mustard and make it into one of the worst forward lines in the comp? (Don't be silly and blame Buckley)
That argument is such crap. The revenue clubs make through membership pales in comparison to the broadcasting deal and sponsorship.

It's disgusting the way Collingwood's administration and Buckley are treating Mayne. I often defend Collingwood but the last week has been beyond a joke.

And then fans like you state that you're paying Mayne's contract so reserve the right to boo him? Get a grip. Support your players all the time, not when it suits you or when the weather is fair.

Take off your black and white glasses and see how embarrassing this is for Collingwood. In the history of the AFL, no coach or administration has ever thrown a player under the bus like this.

And before you say my post is irrelevant because I'm a GWS fan (I know that's the first defence you'll jump to--- Man>Ball)- don't bother.

Year two in 2018 without COLA......do well in 2017 or Big year ahead of the Swans, I'd say.

....and worse for the Pies when loaded Footy Show payments are included in the Salary Cap. Collingwood has cheated the salary cap for years by using that device. McGuire gave the Club the inside running.

....and worse for the Pies when loaded Footy Show payments are included in the Salary Cap. Collingwood has cheated the salary cap for years by using that device. McGuire gave the Club the inside running.

Hey-man-you-got-any-of-that-proof-to-back-you-up.jpg

I understand that players who make guest appearances on tv football shows are paid for those appearances. However I find it a bit of a stretch that these publicly listed companies would endorse exorbitant payments to Collingwood footballers in particular, to assist the football club rort the AFL TPP's, regardless of Eddie McGuire's involvement.

I understand that players who make guest appearances on tv football shows are paid for those appearances. However I find it a bit of a stretch that these publicly listed companies would endorse exorbitant payments to Collingwood footballers in particular, to assist the football club rort the AFL TPP's, regardless of Eddie McGuire's involvement.
Channel 9 gave Cloke a 5 year deal, which not only pretty neatly aligned against the Collingwood term, but was rumoured to be longer than any other contract a 9 at that time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lumumba's claims about Buckley's lack of emotional intelligence validated even further. I believed Lumumba when he said it anyway, but for the people jeering him, maybe Lumumba isn't some crazed lunatic and he is saying what needs to be said about the boys club culture.

Channel 9 gave Cloke a 5 year deal, which not only pretty neatly aligned against the Collingwood term, but was rumoured to be longer than any other contract a 9 at that time.
What was the contract? How much was he paid per week? Or was he guaranteed a specific number of appearances?

Publicly listed companies are beholden to the shareholders. They have to publish their annual financial statements. I find it really hard to believe that he was being paid huge money in comparison to other players appearing on the show, without someone blowing the whistle. Does everyone at Channel 9 support Collingwood?

"Pathetic" Pittman says hello

Yeah.

Pittman, Austin McCrabb, Jason Cloke for starters.

Coaches have been throwing players under busses since the invention of the internal combustion engine. It just looks worse due to the incessant social media driven echo chamber magnifying everything.

Dont get me wrong this is s**t but its neither unprecedented or even that egregious by comparison to some.

That argument is such crap. The revenue clubs make through membership pales in comparison to the broadcasting deal and sponsorship.

It's disgusting the way Collingwood's administration and Buckley are treating Mayne. I often defend Collingwood but the last week has been beyond a joke.

And then fans like you state that you're paying Mayne's contract so reserve the right to boo him? Get a grip. Support your players all the time, not when it suits you or when the weather is fair.

Take off your black and white glasses and see how embarrassing this is for Collingwood. In the history of the AFL, no coach or administration has ever thrown a player under the bus like this.

And before you say my post is irrelevant because I'm a GWS fan (I know that's the first defence you'll jump to--- Man>Ball)- don't bother.

It's also harsh booing Mayne when it appears that his papers have been stamped now and Buckley refuses to pick him no matter how well he plays.

Mayne probably wouldn't have even got a game at AFL level this year if the likes of Elliott weren't injured early on and from what I saw from his few AFL games he wasn't that bad, he pressured hard, laid tackles and kicked the odd goal which is what he used to do at Freo.

The likes of Dane Swan, Luke Ball and Daisy Thomas all got a good run on TFS when they were playing for Collingwood too.

I don't recall Ball being on TFS much when he was at St Kilda, when he went to Collingwood he was on almost every second week.

It's also harsh booing Mayne when it appears that his papers have been stamped now and Buckley refuses to pick him no matter how well he plays.

Mayne probably wouldn't have even got a game at AFL level this year if the likes of Elliott weren't injured early on and from what I saw from his few AFL games he wasn't that bad, he pressured hard, laid tackles and kicked the odd goal which is what he used to do at Freo.

I still don't know where he fits into the Collingwood side. Their top 2 goalkickers were Elliott (178) and Fasolo (181), with Hoskin-Elliott (186) and Sidebottom (184) rounding out the top 5. Moore is their only key forward and he is still a ways off being a genuine target in the mould of Cloke. Mayne at 188 just gives them another (slightly smaller) version of Tyson Goldsack who has played a bit as a makeshift defensive forward. He was a strange target let alone at $500k or whatever they paid him.

If they used him as a proper defensive forward and had him basically tagging guys like Rance, Hurley etc. I'd sort of get it.

While some who haven’t watched Collingwood play this season may disagree, I think the Pies have made the best of a bad situation with Chris Mayne. This is validated through his form since coming into the senior side playing as a winger who helps out the back half and links up for forward forays.

One of the best in the league for pressure acts and if anyone watched yesterday, time and time again saved Collingwood from conceding about 3-4 goals with hard running defensively as GCS attacked.

His season so far has actually been quite reasonable for someone who has changed their role around.

Highlight for me was the Geelong game where he almost achieved the ultimate BF accomplishment of the ‘quadruple double’, ending the game with 10k, 15h, 10m and 9 tackles.

Last edited:
While some who haven’t watched Collingwood play this season may disagree, I think the Pies have made the best of a bad situation with Chris Mayne. This is validated through his form since coming into the senior side playing as a winger who helps out the back half and links up for forward forays.

One of the best in the league for pressure acts and if anyone watched yesterday, time and time again saved Collingwood from conceding about 3-4 goals with hard running defensively as GCS attacked.

His season so far has actually been quite reasonable for someone who has changed their role around.

Highlight for me was the Geelong game where he almost achieved the ultimate BF accomplishment of the ‘quadtriple double’, ending the game with 10k, 15h, 10m and 9 tackles.

I agree and must add in, what a great test of character for him. He’s really impressed me because he became an easy target

Highlight for me was the Geelong game where he almost achieved the ultimate BF accomplishment of the ‘quadtriple double’, ending the game with 10k, 15h, 10m and 9 tackles.

This is a perfectly fair assessment I reckon

One of your Collingwood mates was trying to tell me the other day that it was a win for them. It's not, it's still a really bad contract but it's making the most of a bad situation I like Mayney too so happy to see him playing well.

Last edited:
I agree and must add in, what a great test of character for him. He’s really impressed me because he became an easy target

I was listening to this, and it made me write my post. He is a really selfless, team player. You need those alongside the superstars, similar to a Dylan Grimes for you guys I guess.

This is a perfectly fair assessment I reckon

One of your Collingwood mates was trying to tell me the other day that it was a win for them. It's not, it's still a really bad contract but it's making the most of a good situation. I like Mayney too so happy to see him playing well.
Definitely still a poor list management decision, and would only truly be classified as a success if Collingwood wins a flag with him in the 22.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back