Player Movement 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

But you're missing the point that completely ignoring his bowling, he's an accomplished middle order batsman, and he has a better record than every other batsman South Australia has.
I'd suggest he is a better bowler than most of our team too.

you have no arguement from me that the guy is talented.

holy crap, where has this brilliant batsman been for the last 5 years!

that being said, it would be a shame for SA to lose him.

I don't know why we'd consider recruiting an underperforming but clearly talented right hand middle order bat when we already have Adam Voges on our list. :p

Voges and Mitchell Marsh.

If the WACA really are going after Luke Butterworth that would be good, as Mitch Marsh needs pressure put on him. He and Shaun Marsh are automatic picks regardless of what they do.

Mitch's bowling is very good now but he needs to pick up his batting or they should dump him down to 7 or 8.

Its officially the silly season - WA looking at Ferguson. I would have thought the priorities rank
1. Opening Bat
2. Keeper
3. Bowlers

Given S.Marsh is coming off an Aus contract, North, Voges and hopefully M.Marsh cementing the top 6. Unless they plan to open with Shaun again? Never been a huge fan of Ferguson, FC ave of 35 playing every 2nd game on the highway at the Adelaide oval.

Still, looks like the decks are shuffling quickly.

http://www.sportsnewsfirst.com.au/articles/2012/06/28/callum-ferguson-in-tug-of-war/

Not Ferguson and not Paine. No more injury-prone and/or flaky players for heaven's sake. Don't WA ever learn?

Triffit yes please.

I'm saying again Tim Paine's contract is not in doubt. It was signed today at the tigers despite what your hearing at the warriors.

As for Triffit though I don't know. It could get interesting as Brady Jones is considering nominating for the AFL draft.

Pretty messed up if Tas can't afford to keep players like Faulkner and Butterworth. Surely they can convince Trifitt to stay on for one year and then reassess next season if Paine actually does comeback from injury. It's not as if he has been treated like Brady Jones and thrown aside when it suits.

As predicted in a couple of earlier posts, Pain has signed at Tassie whilst Kwahaja is on the move to Queensland. Not sure that's the best place for him to be batting on a Gabba greentop every 2nd game, but if he can master those conditions I suppose he's going to become a better player.

Malcolm Conn's article in the News Limited daily's is pretty scathing on the lack of depth in Australian batting, and rightly so. This really needs to be the year a few young stars emerge. Kurtis Patterson (NSW), Joe Burns (QLD), even Peter Handscomb from Victoria if they give him regular games. Will someone under the age of 25, please stand up and have a break out season?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So Queensland get Horry & Ussie - adds to the depth and strength of their squad. Boof seems to be a pretty decent lure to get blokes to come here! I saw Ussie get his hundred in a Shield game against Queensland a few years back and he looked like a superstar in the making. Maybe this will be the switch that gets him back on track.

Feeling kinda conflicted as a NSW supporter. On the one hand, FUUUUUUUUUU. On the other hand, it will be exciting to see new talent hopefully put their hands up. It will also have some implications for team balance, most of them positive. SOK won't have to play himself as a bowling allrounder, which is a big plus. Steve Smith's role will change markedly; with Katich, Khawaja, Hughes and Jaques gone, Smith is going to become a permanent number 3 and will be carrying the batting lineup, which will be massive if he wants to prove himself a genuine batsman. On top of that, with Hauritz gone, there's room alongside SOK for Smith to roll the arm over more, which hopefully will get him back into the swing of things bowling wise. He's an underrated bowler in the short forms and with some consistency could be really useful in the longest form, but needs to work on it. Hopefully this encourages him. Nevill and Haddin can play alongside each other now as well, which is great. None of these fully make up for the losses, but it makes it easier.

Also, I feel these moves are good for Australian cricket. Khawaja going to QLD is going to make or break him. If it makes him, we'll have a genuine player on our hands, so that will be massive.

Hughes, well, SA isn't what I would have chosen for him, but there are only so many places in the QLD lineup, and a change might do him good. He's already done some clearly visible work on his technique which he's showing off in the UK at the moment, so coming home to a new state will hopefully mean he doesn't fall back into bad habits. I'm hoping this is a fresh start for him.

So yeah, disappointed, a little anxious about the upcoming season, but also kinda excited.

Also, special mention must go to Brett Lee, who has proven just what an awesomely amazing guy he is. Declined a NSW contract so that NSW could keep as many of their players as possible, and is instead focusing on trying to get upgraded to a CA contract.

As for Triffit though I don't know. It could get interesting as Brady Jones is considering nominating for the AFL draft.

Triffitt will probably go to WA, Brady Jones Will be nomanating for the draft ( sydney have encouraged him to ). This means the Tigers will be a keeper short on there list, with painey coming back from injury there is room for a young keeper, but I dont think there is anybody in Tassie at the moment who could step up. Might have to recruit one i think

Have we heard any other rumors? At the moment it stands like this:
Confirmed
Nathan Hauritz NSW >> QLD
Usman Khawaja NSW >> QLD
Philip Hughes NSW >> SA
Tim Armstrong NSW >> WA
Steve Magoffin QLD >> Retired/County Cricket

Rumored Departures
Tom Triffit TAS >> WA
Brady Jones TAS >> AFL Draft
Callum Ferguson SA >> WA
Luke Butterworth TAS >> WA or NSW
Michael Hogan WA >> Retired/County Cricket (Unlikely to return)

Other Whispers
Paine has just re-signed with Tasmania as captain for 2 years
Faulkner is rumored to have re-signed a 2 year deal with Tasmania

Have we heard any other rumors? At the moment it stands like this:
Confirmed
Nathan Hauritz NSW >> QLD
Usman Khawaja NSW >> QLD
Philip Hughes NSW >> SA
Tim Armstrong NSW >> WA
Steve Magoffin QLD >> Retired/County Cricket

Rumored Departures
Tom Triffit TAS >> WA
Brady Jones TAS >> AFL Draft
Callum Ferguson SA >> WA
Luke Butterworth TAS >> WA or NSW
Michael Hogan WA >> Retired/County Cricket (Unlikely to return)

Other Whispers
Paine has just re-signed with Tasmania as captain for 2 years
Faulkner is rumored to have re-signed a 2 year deal with Tasmania

HOLEY MOLEY!

Gee, NSW aren't in a good position suddenly. Wonder if they'll go after other batsmen to replace the big 4 of Katich, Jaques, Khawaja and Hughws?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back