Universal Love Player Numbers – 2024 update (sponsored by Tulip)

Remove this Banner Ad

This.

To see who gets what number? I'm interested in the politics behind squad numbers personally, not the song and dance though.

See you could've said that the history thing, not just indigenous

I hate the giving a forward 24 since robbo, the 31, the 2 etc

I don't like it in general, not just with the indigenous players

See you could've said that the history thing, not just indigenous

I hate the giving a forward 24 since robbo, the 31, the 2 etc

I don't like it in general, not just with the indigenous players
It's the 33, 36, 39 thing that frustrates me the most tbh. I don't know where it started, but it happens like clockwork. Only recent exception in the last 10 years or so being JKH, and he took Jurrah's number anyway.

Did you guys see this?

Not sure if he's serious or not, would be strange for Jones to move after so long in the #2

Edit: especially after Flower passed so recently

It's a parody account.

It's the 33, 36, 39 thing that frustrates me the most tbh. I don't know where it started, but it happens like clockwork. Only recent exception in the last 10 years or so being JKH, and he took Jurrah's number anyway.

Yeah but jurrah took robbos number, high leaping forward and all

I don't gaf about the history behind numbers personally

It's why I don't care jack didn't get 12

We're to stuck in our history, we were great, we aren't now

We need to move forward and become great again

33 fair, however its become a popular number for indigenous players across the league

36, the only indigenous player in recent memory is Davey

39, Jetta and Wonnaemirri are the only in recent memory, Wonaemirri being a Tiwi Islander.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did you guys see this?

Not sure if he's serious or not, would be strange for Jones to move after so long in the #2

Edit: especially after Flower passed so recently

Lol, I'm pretty sure that's not Lumumba's real account (if he even has one.... man).

Here's a radical idea, how about we let Garlett choose the number he wants from the ones available? First in, best dressed.

I always got the feeling that indigenous players really enjoy being linked to successful indigenous players for their clubs - Garlett spoke about Davey helping him make his decision to come, maybe he'd want Aaron's number?

They value their culture and heritage, and I think that includes their AFL history.

Stretch for 11... Dees legacy player to forget the campaigner.

Or give him a 40+ for a year given Cross will likely retire after 2015. Then, from 2016 onwards, we can have Stretch in 18 (old man's number).

But in terms of giving him his old man's number. Viney didn't switch from 7 to 12 once Sylvia left.

But in terms of giving him his old man's number. Viney didn't switch from 7 to 12 once Sylvia left.

This. Let's not feel obliged to give #11 to a ruckman or #2 to a rangy wingman. Let the kids build their own story in whatever number they get. By all means, acknowledge the greats of yesteryear in that number, but bloody hell do we overplay the importance of giving kids a number with contrived meaning.

This. Let's not feel obliged to give #11 to a ruckman or #2 to a rangy wingman. Let the kids build their own story in whatever number they get. By all means, acknowledge the greats of yesteryear in that number, but bloody hell do we overplay the importance of giving kids a number with contrived meaning.

Lucky AFL don't retire numbers. The value we give numbers, Christian Salem might be wearing 98 because it's the only number available.

The more numbers greater than fifty, the better. What I would give to see Brayshaw request something ridiculous like #79.

#brayshawgreaterthanfifty

Harry O is a different thinker, he might be into a ridiculously high number to represent third world debt or the year Upper Volta changed their name to Burkina Faso. Would instantly rocket to my favourite player if he came out with something +50.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back