• Yes.

• No.

• Sitting on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Interesting discussion regarding if players in this current climate should take an even bigger hit or not to get paid at all considering what the general public are going through the samething.
Listening to the Mark Allen & Ox show yesterday they brought up a few examples of players wages if they are cut to 50% or 70% under the new agreement with the afl.
If the season still doesn't go ahead a player on 600k will still get 180K
300k>>>>>>>90k
80k(min)>>>24k

Most callers were calling them greedy as the general public are facing just as bigger task on centrelink payments less than what the lowest player would be getting.
It was also mentioned that the players would have already recieved their full monthly wage up until this crisis.
Not sure about this to be honest.
Can see both sides.
Players have a limited earning capacity in football whereas the public can have a career for 40+yrs.
We are all in the same boat and all players contracts should be torn up just as Joe Public has lost their job.

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
The players on 80k will definitely be impacted by the paycuts
Thats the point though.
How many of us are on 80k and now face payments on centrelink?
Why should any player be entitled to 80k let alone 180k under the current situation?

Jan 13, 2005
The Hospital
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Golden State, Daniel Rioli
I feel for the players, as much as I do anyone struggling in these circumstances. The players are well within their rights to negotiate a way forward.

But I do think they’ve acted stupidly in the media and reality is the game is generating little to zero income right now, the sad reality is they’re lucky to get anything and plenty in society will get nothing.

They’re not even close to the greediest people in society, plenty of Australians will uses this as leverage to stand down employees, avoid rent, exploit the government payments etc... to generate wealth. Already seen it with Harvey Norman.

rmcq

????????????
Sep 6, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Remember that players on higher salaries will normally have higher expenses, although everyone can put their mortgages on hold.

Also, the higher paid players have a guaranteed job when the AFL resumes. That may be on a lower salary, but that can’t be said for a lot of the support staff that won’t be going back (there’s already talk of a large reduction in the football department spendIng cap).

So while I definitely feel for the fringe players, I don’t have much sympathy for the best 20 in each club. They’ll be doing fine.

Cuts should be on a sliding scale.
800k+: 70%
500-800k: 50%
250-500k: 30%
80-250k: 20%

It’s only for a few months but the more experienced players should bare most of it.
1st year players minimal cut.

Lsta062

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 15, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea, LA Lakers, Western United
I’m on the fence. On one hand, their employers are impacted like any other employer. So, getting nothing is going to be the same as others in the country. Also, how are the AFL/clubs going to keep up the high payments with basically no money coming through from the game? Their wages don’t just appear out of nowhere. It is coming from somewhere.

On the other hand, they probably live their lives with higher expenses than the average Australians given that their cars, houses etc. probably cost more than the average. Hence, they would need more money to keep up with essential payments (let’s be honest, they are likely not able to downsize their house in the current situation).

Overall, I’m on the fence. I understand both perspectives so I don’t really have strong opinions on this debate. One thing that I do have an opinion on is how they handled it. Not really a good look on the PR front.

Tomnat Tigers

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 8, 2009
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Arsenal
You can't compare the average Australian to an AFL player, the context is just completely different. Once this is all said and done money will be flowing back through the AFL and given the strength of the AFL at the moment compared to the likes of the A league and NRL as well as overseas sporting competitions possibly still being in lockdown, the AFL can potentially gain considerably more than it looses post covid 19. The average Australian business on the other hand will be left struggling for years to come post covid 19. I don't blame the players for asking for as much as they can given this is more than likely short term pain for the AFL.

Also many AFL players run small businesses like cafe's so if their AFL wage is able to keep others employed than that is also a good thing. It is better for the AFL to go into more debt when it will be able to get itself out of debt much easier than what it would another business.

Its not as simple as saying other Australians aren't working and not getting paid so AFL players who are also not working should not be paid.

This Is Anfield

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Podcaster
Feb 25, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool, England, Furies
Forget the AFL, what about this poor bloke...

Atletico Madrid boss Diego Simeone - football's highest paid manager - will have to take at least a 30% pay cut in his £3.3m monthly wage.

Jan 3, 2012
From the interview room
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea FC, Victory, All Blecks,

Atletico Madrid boss Diego Simeone - football's highest paid manager - will have to take at least a 30% pay cut in his £3.3m monthly wage.
Mourinho must be in the poor house

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond

Poor bloke.:cool:

Damo80

Premiership Player
Jul 11, 2011
Latrobe Valley
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Brisbane Lions
The biggest PR issue for the players is that they've continually argued their case in terms of deserving a fixed percentage "slice of the pie". Well, right now, when the income is zero, why shouldn't they be prepared to accept the same percentage when times are tough? It has to go both ways.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
The biggest PR issue for the players is that they've continually argued their case in terms of deserving a fixed percentage "slice of the pie". Well, right now, when the income is zero, why shouldn't they be prepared to accept the same percentage when times are tough? It has to go both ways.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Perhaps it may be because their slice of the pie doesn’t wholly reflect their value to the game during better times that they might reasonably expect some form of partial indemnity against one off events like this.

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
List cuts are interesting , curious if a club would have any hold on a supp list player , imagine so if they’re eligible for senior footy. If 3mn is cut from tpp then I suspect we might lose a decent paid player as 5 cast offs wouldn’t =3m
We already have.
Rance.

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
True and we have several high paid players contract end 2021 which Is convenient
I tellya with a small cap there won’t be 2 x 1mn listed players going forward
Coll and WC will struggle to contain tpp
Yep its going to be interesting for sure.
Clubs/Player managers will have to adjust.
The jack martin deal will be the last of its kind.
Hate to be a Brad Crouch right now.Thoughts of a bigger pay day just went out the window.

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Gonna be a few of those 600+ types cut loose around the traps I’d say
The 2y fizzers x 5 won’t add up to 3mn
Wonder if our boys will go to the "sacrifice for success"well again considering where we're at window wise.

Back