Syd
1. Higgins
2. Taz
3. Polec/Hall
4. Dumont/Cunners
5. Goldy
6. Daw/Tyson

Goals: Brown - 61

Most improved: Paul Ahern - to play 20+ games and average 25+ disposals. May be one of the most improved in the comp in either 2019 or 2020.

One(s) to watch:
  • LDU - similar 2nd year to Clayton Oliver (i.e. breakout)
  • Hall - to recapture his 2016 form and play 18+ games
  • Tyson - may slide under the radar and surprise a few

Syd
Cunnington
Jacobs
Ziebell

Goals
Brown 66

Most Improved
LDU

One(s) to watch
Hall is the one I'm most looking forward to watching.
EVW, Simpkin, Ahern all to get their share of positive media attention outside the NM bubble.

Looking at the Syd, it occurs to me that JZ will be 28 by the time the season starts and could be one of the more notable players to retire without a B&F win.

Past captains back to WW2 (years, wins)
Jack Ziebell (2*, 0)
Andrew Swallow (5, 3)
Brent Harvey (3, 5)
Adam Simpson (5, 1)
Anthony Stevens (2, 2)
Wayne Carey (9, 4)
Matthew Larkin (3, 3)
John Law (1+, 0)
Wayne Schimmelbusch (8+, 0)
Keith Greig (3+, 1)
Barry Davis (3, 2)
David Dench (1+, 4)
Barry Goodingham (1, 0)
John Dugdale (3, 4)
Noel Teasdale (3, 4)
Allen Aylett (4, 3)
Al Mantello (1, 0)
John Brady (3, 1)
Bob Brooker (1, 1)
Vic Lawrence (1, 0)
Gerald Marchesi (1, 0)
Kevin Dynon (3, 0)
Les Foote (4, 3)
Fred Fairweather (1, 0)

I was going to make some grand point about how nobody who captained the club for a full two seasons or more has failed to win a Syd since Kevin Dynon in the early '50s, but OMG how did I not know that Schimma never won one? And HowTF did he never win one?

Syd
Cunnington
Jacobs
Ziebell

Goals
Brown 66

Most Improved
LDU

One(s) to watch
Hall is the one I'm most looking forward to watching.
EVW, Simpkin, Ahern all to get their share of positive media attention outside the NM bubble.

Looking at the Syd, it occurs to me that JZ will be 28 by the time the season starts and could be one of the more notable players to retire without a B&F win.

Past captains back to WW2 (years, wins)
Jack Ziebell (2*, 0)
Andrew Swallow (5, 3)
Brent Harvey (3, 5)
Adam Simpson (5, 1)
Anthony Stevens (2, 2)
Wayne Carey (9, 4)
Matthew Larkin (3, 3)
John Law (1+, 0)
Wayne Schimmelbusch (8+, 0)
Keith Greig (3+, 1)
Barry Davis (3, 2)
David Dench (1+, 4)
Barry Goodingham (1, 0)
John Dugdale (3, 4)
Noel Teasdale (3, 4)
Allen Aylett (4, 3)
Al Mantello (1, 0)
John Brady (3, 1)
Bob Brooker (1, 1)
Vic Lawrence (1, 0)
Gerald Marchesi (1, 0)
Kevin Dynon (3, 0)
Les Foote (4, 3)
Fred Fairweather (1, 0)

I was going to make some grand point about how nobody who captained the club for a full two seasons or more has failed to win a Syd since Kevin Dynon in the early '50s, but OMG how did I not know that Schimma never won one? And HowTF did he never win one?

Interesting read!

My take on Zeebs is that he was made captain as a galvanising cultural leader - someone that captures the essence of the club during tough period.

Not because he’s the best player necessarily. I think he certainly has the skill to take it next level and win one or even two but only time will tell.

I would love him to take CHF by the scruff this year and kick 40+ goals.

Either way - I think he’s the best man for the captains role and I love him!

FlyHigh18

Arden St Parking Inspector
May 8, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
After watching Will Walker's highlight reel and seeing the footwork, CONFIDENCE, and fancy goals gee it makes for such good viewing. But it's got me thinking...
  • Is Ats ever going to use his speed to sprint and bounce the ball. I saw only glimpses of it last year.
  • They said Jy had fancy footwork and snap goals.... I've seen it maybe twice...
  • When was the last time Tarrant went up for a hanger?
  • Anyone recall our last goal from outside 50?
I'm ranting now but gee the flair has been sucked out of this team. Here's to hoping we don't do the same to young Will.

After watching Will Walker's highlight reel and seeing the footwork, CONFIDENCE, and fancy goals gee it makes for such good viewing. But it's got me thinking...
  • Is Ats ever going to use his speed to sprint and bounce the ball. I saw only glimpses of it last year.
  • They said Jy had fancy footwork and snap goals.... I've seen it maybe twice...
  • When was the last time Tarrant went up for a hanger?
  • Anyone recall our last goal from outside 50?
I'm ranting now but gee the flair has been sucked out of this team. Here's to hoping we don't do the same to young Will.
  • Different running patterns in the forward line from Ats.
  • Jy's fine, developing nicely.
  • You’re worried our full back doesn’t take enough hangers?
  • Go and find Arthur Cloke's goals outside 50 thread from during the season (I actually think there’s a decent point to be made here, it’s an important weapon in modern attacking footy).

Our two most productive forwards are not really 'flair' types, and then we have small forwards like Turner & Hrovat. Say what you like about LT, he wasn’t boring. Our best midfielder is an inside beast/distributor (but I would argue has his own kind of flair).

Ahern's got a bit of razzle-dazzle, LDU looks great in full flight, and we just went and recruited 3 flashy run-and-carry types. We’ll be ok for flair.

Back