List Mgmt. Player Ranking System

Remove this Banner Ad

Warning: Long Post

As I sweltered in my shoebox apartment trying to sleep last night a method of ranking players came to me.

First of all, it is subjective, based on my opinion, but also attempts to utilise some quantification.

We will begin with the basic premise. All players in this system can be ranked on a scale of 1 to 10. I will describe what each ranking means below. In order to assess a players ranking their entire years performances should be assessed and each game ranked on the same scale, with the average denoting their total value. I could, and potentially will assess the 2015 list over the summer, but for right now I will lay the groundwork.

10 - Superstar

This player is truly exceptional. They are a game breaker who impacts a contest across the whole game, although may be more prominent in some bursts then others. They can be said to be the difference between winning and losing, and make the players around them look even better. In a game you would award a rank of 10 for a true game-winning performance or for an ultra-dominant display (say a G Ablett 40 touch, 3 goal game or a J Kennedy 11 goal, 4 goal assist game or even a complete shutdown and dominance by a backman).

9 - Elite

This player is in the utmost echelon of performance and produces a consistently high standard of football. They might not be the sole reason for a victory, but their contribution was invaluable and other teams go out of their way to try and impede their game. In a game you would award a rank of 9 for a player who produced a high impact across the contest and played a large role in their team's success/performance (30+ touches game of a high quality, bag of goals, complete control by a backman).

8 - Very Good

This player produces some really good football and is definitely worth taking note of. They are at the general high level of play and are often a key reason for success. They are not necessarily irreplaceable, but their impact is a loss and they are always right up for re-inclusion. In a game you would award a rank of 8 for a high level game which made a significant contribution to team success (High 20's disposals or even a 30+ game where the touches were less effective, 4-6 goals depending on impact, a definitive win by a backman).

7 - Good

This player wins their position, adds to the efforts of the team and is considered a best 22 player. They are not as consistent across a game, or the season as players above them and will have patches of excellent form broken by down games. In a game they might be an able contributor and part of success consistently, or potentially they might have a purple patch which proves vital but otherwise quiet (mid 20's-low 20's, 3-5 goals varying on impact, a valuable game from a backman, but they might concede some).

6 - Contributor

This player is above average, winning their contests more often than not and adding something of value to the team. They are not necessarily going to be a significant factor most games, but their contribution is valued and they fulfill a spot. They might be a dour defender, a run-with midfielder or an inconsistent forward. In a game they will add something to the team, but they tend to be described as "role players" (20~ disposals, maybe higher but poor quality ones, 1-3 goals, beat their man in defence but didn't offer much rebound or conceded goals but offered rebound).

5 - Handy

This player has some AFL-level attributes and will occasionally deliver some very good form, but also plays some nothing games. Rarely the difference between teams, this player has some impact but it is not significant. They are probably on the fringe of the 22. In a game their contribution will be inconsistent across the duration and while it might be a net-positive this is not guaranteed (teens disposals, 1-3 goals but little other contribution, break-even or worse in defence).

4 - Foot Soldier

This player give you something, maybe they occasionally kick a goal from nothing, or lay a great tackle, but mostly their contribution is miss-able. They generally don't add much to your side on gameday and get beat by better players regularly. If they get an opportunity they can nail some of the basics, but they aren't great at making the opportunity happen. In a game they are pretty unnoticed, often whipping boys for fans (low teens disposals, 0-2 goals with little overall contribution, a general loss in defence, potentially quite bad against elite opposition).

3 - Body

This player fills a spot on the team and aren't an immediate liability. They get involved, cause pressure and try. Potentially they have some other impact across the contest in a few solid plays. In a game they don't make you feel safe, but you don't necessarily cringe either (10~ disposals, 0-2 goals with basically no contribution, lose their position in defence, but maybe kill a few balls).

2 - Liability

This player hurts your side by being out there, whether they be leaving their man free regularly, not chasing, missing tackles, making very basic skill errors so on. Their impact is negative across the whole contest, you don't want them in the side. In a game you watch them involved in plays through your fingers, they turn it over frequently, or fail to effectively implement team strategies (Sub 10 touches or a colossally bad series of disposals, 0 effective scoreboard impact, comprehensivey beat, not necessarily by good players)

1 - Coach Killer

This players performance is so rancid that their inclusion puts the coaches neck on the line. Their contribution is toxic, completely damaging team efforts and causing unceasing damage. They would be better off not taking the field. In a game they either never touch it, turn it over the few times they do or so completely bollocks up structures as to be liable for multiple goals against (0 touches, no scoreboard impact at all, complete liability in defence, leaking numerous goals).

NOTE: Goals typically mean goals contributed (goals and goal assists)

Last edited:

As I sweltered in my shoebox apartment trying to sleep last night a method of ranking players came to me.

First of all, it is subjective, based on my opinion, but also attempts to utilise some quantification.

We will begin with the basic premise. All players in this system can be ranked on a scale of 1 to 10. I will describe what each ranking means below. In order to assess a players ranking their entire years performances should be assessed and each game ranked on the same scale, with the average denoting their total value. I could, and potentially will assess the 2015 list over the summer, but for right now I will lay the groundwork.

10 - Superstar

This player is truly exceptional. They are a game breaker who impacts a contest across the whole game, although may be more prominent in some bursts then others. They can be said to be the difference between winning and losing, and make the players around them look even better. In a game you would award a rank of 10 for a true game-winning performance or for an ultra-dominant display (say a G Ablett 40 touch, 3 goal game or a J Kennedy 11 goal, 4 goal assist game or even a complete shutdown and dominance by a backman).

9 - Elite

This player is in the utmost echelon of performance and produces a consistently high standard of football. They might not be the sole reason for a victory, but their contribution was invaluable and other teams go out of their way to try and impede their game. In a game you would award a rank of 9 for a player who produced a high impact across the contest and played a large role in their team's success/performance (30+ touches game of a high quality, bag of goals, complete control by a backman).

8 - Very Good

This player produces some really good football and is definitely worth taking note of. They are at the general high level of play and are often a key reason for success. They are not necessarily irreplaceable, but their impact is a loss and they are always right up for re-inclusion. In a game you would award a rank of 8 for a high level game which made a significant contribution to team success (High 20's disposals or even a 30+ game where the touches were less effective, 4-6 goals depending on impact, a definitive win by a backman).

7 - Good

This player wins their position, adds to the efforts of the team and is considered a best 22 player. They are not as consistent across a game, or the season as players above them and will have patches of excellent form broken by down games. In a game they might be an able contributor and part of success consistently, or potentially they might have a purple patch which proves vital but otherwise quiet (mid 20's-low 20's, 3-5 goals varying on impact, a valuable game from a backman, but they might concede some).

6 - Contributor

This player is above average, winning their contests more often than not and adding something of value to the team. They are not necessarily going to be a significant factor most games, but their contribution is valued and they fulfill a spot. They might be a dour defender, a run-with midfielder or an inconsistent forward. In a game they will add something to the team, but they tend to be described as "role players" (20~ disposals, maybe higher but poor quality ones, 1-3 goals, beat their man in defence but didn't offer much rebound or conceded goals but offered rebound).

5 - Handy

This player has some AFL-level attributes and will occasionally deliver some very good form, but also plays some nothing games. Rarely the difference between teams, this player has some impact but it is not significant. They are probably on the fringe of the 22. In a game their contribution will be inconsistent across the duration and while it might be a net-positive this is not guaranteed (teens disposals, 1-3 goals but little other contribution, break-even or worse in defence).

4 - Foot Soldier

This player give you something, maybe they occasionally kick a goal from nothing, or lay a great tackle, but mostly their contribution is miss-able. They generally don't add much to your side on gameday and get beat by better players regularly. If they get an opportunity they can nail some of the basics, but they aren't great at making the opportunity happen. In a game they are pretty unnoticed, often whipping boys for fans (low teens disposals, 0-2 goals with little overall contribution, a general loss in defence, potentially quite bad against elite opposition).

3 - Body

This player fills a spot on the team and aren't an immediate liability. They get involved, cause pressure and try. Potentially they have some other impact across the contest in a few solid plays. In a game they don't make you feel safe, but you don't necessarily cringe either (10~ disposals, 0-2 goals with basically no contribution, lose their position in defence, but maybe kill a few balls).

2 - Liability

This player hurts your side by being out there, whether they be leaving their man free regularly, not chasing, missing tackles, making very basic skill errors so on. Their impact is negative across the whole contest, you don't want them in the side. In a game you watch them involved in plays through your fingers, they turn it over frequently, or fail to effectively implement team strategies (Sub 10 touches or a colossally bad series of disposals, 0 effective scoreboard impact, comprehensivey beat, not necessarily by good players)

1 - Coach Killer

This players performance is so rancid that their inclusion puts the coaches neck on the line. Their contribution is toxic, completely damaging team efforts and causing unceasing damage. They would be better off not taking the field. In a game they either never touch it, turn it over the few times they do or so completely bollocks up structures as to be liable for multiple goals against (0 touches, no scoreboard impact at all, complete liability in defence, leaking numerous goals).

Thanks for taking the time to think this up and articulate it B&S. Some thought and work has gone into it.

My first thought is the vastly different ratings we would see from our posters for our own players. Probably worthy of its own thread with a view to generating that sort of discussion.

10 - Superstar

9 - Elite

8 - Very Good

7 - Good

6 - Contributor

5 - Handy

4 - Foot Soldier

3 - Body

2 - Liability

This player hurts your side by being out there, whether they be leaving their man free regularly, not chasing, missing tackles, making very basic skill errors so on. Their impact is negative across the whole contest, you don't want them in the side. In a game you watch them involved in plays through your fingers, they turn it over frequently, or fail to effectively implement team strategies (Sub 10 touches or a colossally bad series of disposals, 0 effective scoreboard impact, comprehensively beat, not necessarily by good players)

1 - Coach Killer

Excellent !!! :thumbsu:

For us to be successful, we must not have anyone on our list below an 8. Any player in the 7 category must be a noob from the draft who is given time to improve & develop so they become a higher-rated player.

10 - Superstar

9 - Elite

8 - Very Good

7 - Good

6 - Contributor

5 - Handy

4 - Foot Soldier

3 - Body

2 - Liability

1 - Coach Killer

Love it! Great work. Can we possibly fine-tune (if required) and use for future reference? Is champion more a hindsight term then?

10 - Superstar

9 - Elite

8 - Very Good

7 - Good

6 - Contributor

5 - Handy

4 - Foot Soldier

3 - Body

2 - Liability

1 - Coach Killer

In pursuit of an effective application I will demonstrate with Patrick Cripps' year:

Round 1: Richmond

Score: 5

14 touches, 3 marks, 3 tackles

Round 3: Essendon

Score: 6

22 touches, 2 marks, 4 tackles

Round 4: St Kilda

Score: 9

33 disposals, 4 marks, 11 tackles, 1 goal

Round 5: Collingwood

20 touches, 2 marks, 6 tackles

Round 6: Brisbane

18 touches, 1 mark, 4 tackles, 1 goal

Round 8: Geelong

19 touches, 3 marks

Round 9: Sydney

Score: 7

25 disposals, 3 marks, 4 tackles, 1 goal

Round 10: Adelaide

25 disposals, 4 marks, 4 tackles, 1 goal

Round 12: Port Adelaide

31 disposals, 3 marks, 12 tackles

Round 13: Gold Coast

20 disposals, 3 marks, 6 tackles

Round 14: Western Bulldogs

16 disposals, 5 marks, 6 tackles

Round 15: Richmond

22 disposals, 3 marks, 6 tackles

Round 16: Fremantle

17 disposals, 1 mark, 6 tackles

Round 17: Hawthorn

Score: 8

27 disposals, 3 marks, 3 tackles

Round 18: North Melbourne

20 disposals, 6 marks, 6 tackles

Round 19: Collingwood

35 touches, 6 marks, 2 tackles

Round 20: Brisbane

25 disposals, 2 marks, 4 tackles

Round 21: Melbourne

26 disposals, 3 marks, 3 tackles, 2 goals

Round 22: GWS

30 disposals, 2 marks, 3 tackles

Round 23: Hawthorn

26 disposals, 5 marks, 3 tackles

Average: 6.65

Cripps was across the season at worst handy and at best elite. He had some middling games which brought down his average.

Thanks for taking the time to think this up and articulate it B&S. Some thought and work has gone into it.

My first thought is the vastly different ratings we would see from our posters for our own players. Probably worthy of its own thread with a view to generating that sort of discussion.

If you wanted I would be happy for you to move the posts :)

10 - Superstar
Nil

9 - Elite
Marc Murphy
Patrick Cripps

8 - Very Good
Kade Simpson
Bryce Gibbs
Dylan Buckley
Sam Docherty
Matthew Kreuzer
Sam Kerridge
Jacob Weitering

7 - Good
Andrejs Everitt
Nick Graham
Zach Touhy
Andrew Walker
Dale Thomas
Ed Curnow
Jack Silvagni
Blaine Boekhorst
Kristian Jaksch
Lachie Plowman

6 - Contributor
Dennis Armfield
Cameron Wood
Levi Casboult
Michael Jamison

5 - Handy
Jason Tutt
Simon White
Mark Whiley
Ciaran Sheehan
Ciaran Byrne
Liam Sumner
Andrew Phillips
Jed Lamb
Clem Smith

4 - Foot Soldier
Mathew Dick
Jayden Foster
Dillon Viojo-Rainbow

3 - Body
Sam Rowe

2 - Liability
Liam Jones

1 - Coach Killer
Nil

The assessment is a little hard to do without recent viewing because obviously certain players have huge involvement in 20~ touches and some have very little effective impact in 30.

Ideally I would try and lodge an assessment at the end of each game, then use those numbers in a whole season analysis next year

The assessment is a little hard to do without recent viewing because obviously certain players have huge involvement in 20~ touches and some have very little effective impact in 30.

Ideally I would try and lodge an assessment at the end of each game, then use those numbers in a whole season analysis next year

Don't make it a long & hard chore for yourself, just marry up the player with your category description.

Well put together ranking system Blue and Silver :thumbsu:

Seems to me we are mainly a team of Handy Foot Soldiers.

I think TheSheik is correct with no Superstars and only two Elite , although I think the vast majority would not be in the Very Good/Good category.

10 - Superstar
Nil

9 - Elite
Marc Murphy
Patrick Cripps

8 - Very Good
Kade Simpson
Bryce Gibbs
Dylan Buckley
Sam Docherty
Matthew Kreuzer
Sam Kerridge
Jacob Weitering

7 - Good
Andrejs Everitt
Nick Graham
Zach Touhy
Andrew Walker
Dale Thomas
Ed Curnow
Jack Silvagni
Blaine Boekhorst
Kristian Jaksch
Lachie Plowman

6 - Contributor
Dennis Armfield
Cameron Wood
Levi Casboult
Michael Jamison

5 - Handy
Jason Tutt
Simon White
Mark Whiley
Ciaran Sheehan
Ciaran Byrne
Liam Sumner
Andrew Phillips
Jed Lamb
Clem Smith

4 - Foot Soldier
Mathew Dick
Jayden Foster
Dillon Viojo-Rainbow

3 - Body
Sam Rowe

2 - Liability
Liam Jones

1 - Coach Killer
Nil
You are a harsh man. Some of those names are better than where you have them. You obviously have extremely high standards.

You are a harsh man. Some of those names are better than where you have them. You obviously have extremely high standards.
Haha I was thinking Sheik had gone a bit easy on some :eek:

I am from the old school of thought, probably akin to SOS right now.

If we want to be a mediocre club then we fill the list with mediocre players, you want to be a high-performing & successful club ......................

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unfair on the players with less than 30 games experience, so unless their exceptional like Dylan or P Crippy, I won't list.

9 - Elite
Cripps - future Brownlow Medallist

8 - Very Good
Murphy - Peaked in 2011 but still in our top 3 most important players.
Gibbs - consistent but not brilliant.
Docherty - vital role down back, needs more midfield minutes

7 - Good
Buckley - on the rise and plays with passion.
Kreuzer - Our best ruck but needs another 12 months to recover pre-injury best.
Curnow - consistent performer
Jamison - still our best tall defender.

6 - Contributor

Walker - just happy to get on the field these days. Has his good days.
Simpson - final season. Big uncontested possession winner.
Tuohy - polled highly in the B&F but lacks defensive smarts and is a natural wingman.
Everitt - came of age this year but has quiet days.
White - not blessed with class but dogged performer who plays a role.
Casboult - kicking fixed but still growing into #1 forward role with Waite gone.

5 - Handy
Armfield - at his best he's useful and has pace. Old legs.
Rowe - Important stucturally.
Tutt - never a player more maligned unfairly. Gets the footy.
Thomas - the guy is all but finished at AFL level but a big preseason may prove me wrong.

4 - Foot Soldier
Wood - Cannon fodder who will slide down the pecking order.

3 - Body
Jones - New fitness and conditioning staff will see him impact more contests.

10 - Superstar
Nil

9 - Elite
Marc Murphy
Patrick Cripps

8 - Very Good
Kade Simpson
Bryce Gibbs
Dylan Buckley
Sam Docherty
Matthew Kreuzer
Sam Kerridge
Jacob Weitering

7 - Good
Andrejs Everitt
Nick Graham
Zach Touhy
Andrew Walker
Dale Thomas
Ed Curnow
Jack Silvagni
Blaine Boekhorst
Kristian Jaksch
Lachie Plowman

6 - Contributor
Dennis Armfield
Cameron Wood
Levi Casboult
Michael Jamison

5 - Handy
Jason Tutt
Simon White
Mark Whiley
Ciaran Sheehan
Ciaran Byrne
Liam Sumner
Andrew Phillips
Jed Lamb
Clem Smith

4 - Foot Soldier
Mathew Dick
Jayden Foster
Dillon Viojo-Rainbow

3 - Body
Sam Rowe

2 - Liability
Liam Jones

1 - Coach Killer
Nil
I think you've jumped the gun on Kerridge and Weitering.

Unfair on the players with less than 30 games experience, so unless their exceptional like Dylan or P Crippy, I won't list.

9 - Elite
Cripps - future Brownlow Medallist

8 - Very Good
Murphy - Peaked in 2011 but still in our top 3 most important players.
Gibbs - consistent but not brilliant.
Docherty - vital role down back, needs more midfield minutes

7 - Good
Buckley - on the rise and plays with passion.
Kreuzer - Our best ruck but needs another 12 months to recover pre-injury best.
Curnow - consistent performer
Jamison - still our best tall defender.

6 - Contributor

Walker - just happy to get on the field these days. Has his good days.
Simpson - final season. Big uncontested possession winner.
Tuohy - polled highly in the B&F but lacks defensive smarts and is a natural wingman.
Everitt - came of age this year but has quiet days.
White - not blessed with class but dogged performer who plays a role.
Casboult - kicking fixed but still growing into #1 forward role with Waite gone.

5 - Handy
Armfield - at his best he's useful and has pace. Old legs.
Rowe - Important stucturally.
Tutt - never a player more maligned unfairly. Gets the footy.
Thomas - the guy is all but finished at AFL level but a big preseason may prove me wrong.

4 - Foot Soldier
Wood - Cannon fodder who will slide down the pecking order.

3 - Body
Jones - New fitness and conditioning staff will see him impact more contests.
this is nearly how i would rate them apart from changing Gibbs and Kreuzer around.

10 - Superstar
Nil

9 - Elite
Marc Murphy
Patrick Cripps

8 - Very Good
Kade Simpson
Bryce Gibbs
Dylan Buckley
Sam Docherty
Matthew Kreuzer
Sam Kerridge
Jacob Weitering

7 - Good
Andrejs Everitt
Nick Graham
Zach Touhy
Andrew Walker
Dale Thomas
Ed Curnow
Jack Silvagni
Blaine Boekhorst
Kristian Jaksch
Lachie Plowman

6 - Contributor
Dennis Armfield
Cameron Wood
Levi Casboult
Michael Jamison

5 - Handy
Jason Tutt
Simon White
Mark Whiley
Ciaran Sheehan
Ciaran Byrne
Liam Sumner
Andrew Phillips
Jed Lamb
Clem Smith

4 - Foot Soldier
Mathew Dick
Jayden Foster
Dillon Viojo-Rainbow

3 - Body
Sam Rowe

2 - Liability
Liam Jones

1 - Coach Killer
Nil
You are a generous man. Some of those names are worse than where you have them. You obviously have extremely low standards.

10 - Superstar
Nil

9 - Elite
Marc Murphy

8 - Very Good
Bryce Gibbs
Kade Simpson
Patrick Cripps

7 - Good
Dylan Buckley
Sam Docherty
Matthew Kreuzer
Andrejs Everitt
Nick Graham
Zach Touhy

6 - Contributor
Ed Curnow
Andrew Walker
Michael Jamison

5 - Handy
Levi Casboult
Blaine Boekhorst
Dennis Armfield
Cameron Wood
Mathew Dick

4 - Foot Soldier
Sam Rowe

3 - Body
Jason Tutt
Simon White
Clem Smith
Mark Whiley
Kristian Jaksch

2 - Liability
Dillon Viojo-Rainbow
Jayden Foster

1 - Coach Killer
Liam Jones

N/A- Missed too much footy to assess/New to the club
Lachie Plowman
Jed Lamb
Dale Thomas
Ciaran Sheehan
Ciaran Byrne
Sam Kerridge
Liam Sumner
Andrew Phillips

I don't feel its right to rank players who have been missing for over a year or are new to the club. If you've just walked through the door your slate is clean.

Haha I was thinking Sheik had gone a bit easy on some :eek:

I was expecting him to have 40 players at 5 or lower .... and we only have 38 on the list currently.

10 - Superstar
Liam Jones

9 - Elite
Marc Murphy
Kade Simpson

8 - Very Good
Patrick Cripps
Bryce Gibbs

7 - Good
Dylan Buckley
Ed Curnow
Sam Docherty
Andrejs Everitt
Matthew Kreuzer
Zach Tuohy

6 - Contributor
Dennis Armfield
Nick Graham
Michael Jamison
Dale Thomas
Andrew Walker
Simon White

5 - Handy
Blaine Boekhorst
Ciaran Byrne
Levi Casboult
Matthew Dick
Kristian Jaksch
Sam Rowe
Ciaran Sheehan
Jason Tutt
Mark Whiley
Cameron Wood

4 - Foot Soldier
Jayden Foster
Clem Smith
Dillon Viojo-Rainbow

3 - Body
Billy Gowers

2 - Liability
(Seriously, we all know which name belongs here)

1 - Coach Killer
Nil

Can't Judge On The Following Yet
Daniel Gorringe
Sam Kerridge
Jed Lamb
Andrew Phillips
Lachie Plowman
Liam Sumner

Hopefully, last year's draft picks can step up and prove that they were not questionable decisions.

Might as well do a retrospective for every player on the list over the summer. Starting with Andrew Walker in the #1 jumper:

Round 3: Essendon

20 disposals, 6 marks, 1 goal

Round 4: St Kilda

24 disposals, 4 marks, 3 tackles, 1 goal assist

Round 5:

Score: 3

8 disposals, 1 mark

Round 6: Brisbane

Score: 4

13 disposals, 3 marks, 3 tackles