Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2005
Glen Iris, Victoria
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Bushrangers, Liverpool, Celtics
My player ratings for GF day
11 - Kennedy (Legend. Hero. Champion. Future first-ballot AFL Hall Of Famer. Deserved to win the Norm Smith. So gutted for him.)
9.5 - Grundy (Was such a gladiator on Saturday, I lost count of the amount of times I screamed "REGGG!!")
7 - Jones (Seemed to have the right mindset & aptitude for the contest it was, battled hard and ran all day.)
6.5 - Heeney (His distribution from defence was a stand-out in what was otherwise a pretty lousy display of ball movement.)
6.5 - Rampe (Not at his brilliant best but was pretty solid, played with the right attitude and was certainly not in the worst few.)
6 - Mitchell (Scrapped hard as he does and had some great moments but faded in & out like many others.)
6 - Hannebery (Was hampered by injury for most of the day and was therefore slow but still kept trying when others weren't. Give him a big rest.)
5 - Naismith (Made a great impact early, was eventually overworked & overcome by Boyd & Roughead but can hold his head high and may have performed better if Tippett had've provided some sort of support for him.)
5 - Lloyd (Butchered the ball under pressure occasionally but provided one of very few run & carry options)
5 - Franklin (Some may say a five is generous cause he was beaten, but he was beaten by 3 opponents which he drew towards him all day - Morris, Hamling & Wood - surely one of the other forwards could've got off the leash on the back of it.)
4 - Jack (Missed those two set shots in the first quarter. Killed us. Needed to have a massive impact after that to get those two back but sadly wasn't near influential enough.)
4 - Smith (Nowhere near his best, lost 1-on-1s and looked slow in the second half. A below-par day for Smooch.)
4 - Parker (Also nowhere near his best, also looked slow. Had a disappointing finals series. Must have a huge pre-season.)
3 - Papley (Tried to get involved but also wasn't at his best and his opportunites were few and far between.)
2 - Hewett (Kicked a big goal late but rarely sighted before and after.)
2 - Laidler (Unfortunately too slow for the Doggies.)
2 - Mills (Tried hard but unfit, poor selection, shouldn'tve played.)
1 - Rohan (Sadly a very quiet day for Gary again on the big stage.)
1 - McGlynn (Another one exposed for lack of pace and skill execution under pressure.)
1 - Richards (Never seemed to settle, not sure if he was ready for a GF, will be a hardening experience for him though)
0 - McVeigh (Shouldn't have played. Shocking call by Horse or a selfish call by Macca, one of the two)
0 - Tippett (Absolutely pathetic, pea-hearted performance from Kurt. If he had've had any sort of positive influence for us at any stage throughout any of the contests during the 120 minutes it would've given the team just a slighter chance of winning. That would've been enough for me. But he never got involved at any stage. Absolute garbage. Floated around all day like he had no idea where he was. His lack of effort and endeavour to will himself into the contest and put his heart & soul on the line for the Grand Final has led to me giving him this brutal bake, but it's just not good enough. Fix it Kurt.)

0 - Coaches (Why did we pick blokes who weren't fit? Why weren't we adaptable enough to try new combinations - like the Dogs did - in the last quarter when we the starting mids were cooked? Where was Heeney or Kennedy or even Grundy going forward late? Why wasn't Buddy tried in the midfield? Should've played Marsh instead of McVeigh. Should've had a plan B.
Horse cooked it - 9/10 from Round 1 to prelim, 0/10 on GF day. Got the selections wrong and was reactive on gameday. Incredibly important draft / trade period coming up. Lessons to learn.)

Last edited:
Memory of specifics is hazy and haven't watched replay

10: -
9: Kennedy, Grundy
8: -
7: Rampe
6: Mitchell
5: Lloyd, Heeney, Hannebery, Jones, Jack, Naismith
4: Parker
3: Mills, Papley, Smith
2: Franklin, Hewett, Laidler, McVeigh, Tippett
1: McGlynn, Richards, Rohan

Memory of specifics is hazy and haven't watched replay

10: -
9: Kennedy, Grundy
8: -
7: Rampe
6: Mitchell
5: Lloyd, Heeney, Hannebery, Jones, Jack, Naismith
4: Parker
3: Mills, Papley, Smith
2: Franklin, Hewett, Laidler, McVeigh, Tippett
1: McGlynn, Richards, Rohan

harsh on franklin imo

harsh on franklin imo

Ankle injury aside (which I didn't know he had until I got home), he s**t me all day when his first instinct after getting the ball was to find the nearest Bulldogs player and run into them so he can get tackled and lose possession.

Like I said, haven't watched the replay but I remember thinking more than a few times at the ground that he was s**t.

Ankle injury aside (which I didn't know he had until I got home), he s**t me all day when his first instinct after getting the ball was to find the nearest Bulldogs player and run into them so he can get tackled and lose possession.

Like I said, haven't watched the replay but I remember thinking more than a few times at the ground that he was s**t.

his defensive work alone gets him a pass imo

but thats just me

Think he was trying to do the whole mongrel thing we keep on discussing on here. But it doesn't work when only one player is doing it.

I honestly reckon only 4 players had genuinely bad games - mcglynn, Tippett, Richards, Rohan.

Other guys put in middling performances that would have gone unremarked in the h&a season, or if we'd won ('did a job' sort of stuff). They did some things well, others not so much, but are getting outsized criticism because we lost and we've seen them be match winners.

Last edited:
I honestly reckon only 4 players had genuinely bad games - mcglynn, Tippett, Richards, Rohan.

Other guys put in middling performances that would have gone unremarked in the h&a season, or if we'd won ('did a job' sort of stuff). They did some things well, others not so much, but are getting outsized criticism because we lost and we've seen them be match winners.

Fair point, im guilty of that

I'd throw McVeigh & Mills in with those four, they were ineffective.

Probably Laidler too, he was just way too slow in the second half.

Papley & Hewett relatively unsighted.

Parker, Jack & Smith were all off.

Bud & Hanners were both injured & performed below par thereafter.

Naismith & Lloyd tried all day but weren't overly damaging.

The rest of the lads were pretty solid or better.

But that's six/seven blokes having stinkers and way over half of the team (16/22) not playing near their best, which just isn't good enough on GF day, against anyone.

Jones, Heeney, Rampe & Mitchell all put in solid, hard-working, four-quarter performances.

Kennedy & Grundy were inspirational.

Last edited:
I've said this elsewhere but I might as well say it again.

I'm not sure too many had stinkers. I think most of the team played as they have for weeks.

Mills played poorly but he played like a player who hadn't played for a while. Tippett played at the level he has played for the past six weeks. Competed in the ruck but did not impact forward of the ball. But he's been like this for the past six weeks. McVeigh has been off for most of the year and certainly hasn't looked good in the finals.

I said before the gws final that our side has been carried by its best players for an extended period. We have been carried by grundys marking and rampes ability to play tall and small and smith shutting down small forwards. We've been carried by Kennedy Parker and Mitchell in the middle and hanners ability to spread. Jack has had a poor year not because he's played badly but because he hasn't been as successful spreading from the contest.

Buddy aside our forward line has been dysfunctional - the fact that we've had ted and xavier playing as our key tall forward has been a problem. We manufacture goals through the midfield winning the ball repeatedly and midfielders kicking goals. Nothing changed on the day. Hewitt I would guess has kicked more goals from free kicks than marks and nothing changed on Saturday. His performance was quiet but was it any different to Saturday ? Rohan motors around putting pressure on players but his possessions are rarely high when we are beaten in the middle. Mcglynn is exactly the same. These guys run around trying to lay tackles and didn't - but the ball rarely went forward.

So while I would give xavier, Hewitt, papley, Tippett, Rohan all very low marks, the marks were not different to my prior expectations. We had to win in the middle and unambiguously so for these guys to do well. We didn't. We've got some serious issues with our on ball division against good teams and we can't continue to lose inside fiftys by 50% or worse. The 41:59 differential is just too consistently a problem and our entries were often shallow while theirs were deep to the goal square.

So I'd have

Kennedy Grundy 9
Rampe Mitchell 8
Heeney hanners jones Jack Naismith 5
Lloyd smith Franklin Parker 4
Mills McVeigh Hewitt papley laidler 3
Tippett mcglynn Richards 2
Rohan 1

Hence I'd only have four winners on the day and another five who drew. But almost everyone who lost was forward of the ball and the inability of the swans to win it often enough and spread to the outside.

Horse needs to have a good look at the list and his structures.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And so Nankervis leaves for Richmond, and why wouldn't he! Our best form this year was with Naismith and Nankervis in the ruck.

And Harry Marsh is well entitled to feel robbed of a GF by half fit, rusty players.

I reckon Bevo would have played both, on form and fitness. That's the difference.

And so Nankervis leaves for Richmond, and why wouldn't he! Our best form this year was with Naismith and Nankervis in the ruck.

And Harry Marsh is well entitled to feel robbed of a GF by half fit, rusty players.

I reckon Bevo would have played both, on form and fitness. That's the difference.
The clear one was Marsh instead of Laids. Clear as bloody day. The talk was Mills taking Marshs spot. I reckon Mills in was ok. He tried & did a few good things. Marsh instead of Laids would of given us so much more IMO.

I get the Tippo > Nank selection. Tip has a better tank IMO & was almost AA before he got hurt. He just takes FOREVER to find form. Horse was hoping 6 weeks was enough, he was wrong (which is ridiculous IMO). Tippo needed to give more & didn't. Overpaid at the moment & 2017 will be it for him to give us something of value finals-wise if we make it.

Macca was the worst call though I reckon. He was clearly not right. Since when is an individual greater than the club? It was either Macca making the call & giving us even less than usual (which had been crap all year anyway). Or it was Horse gifting him a GF spot, the question is then would his replacement have provided more? Cunningham? Foote? Newman? I don't know. I like Macca but he was woeful all year, not fit to be captain or best 22 & was a horrific call GF day 2016 IMO.

The clear one was Marsh instead of Laids. Clear as bloody day. The talk was Mills taking Marshs spot. I reckon Mills in was ok. He tried & did a few good things. Marsh instead of Laids would of given us so much more IMO.

I get the Tippo > Nank selection. Tip has a better tank IMO & was almost AA before he got hurt. He just takes FOREVER to find form. Horse was hoping 6 weeks was enough, he was wrong (which is ridiculous IMO). Tippo needed to give more & didn't. Overpaid at the moment & 2017 will be it for him to give us something of value finals-wise if we make it.

Macca was the worst call though I reckon. He was clearly not right. Since when is an individual greater than the club? It was either Macca making the call & giving us even less than usual (which had been crap all year anyway). Or it was Horse gifting him a GF spot, the question is then would his replacement have provided more? Cunningham? Foote? Newman? I don't know. I like Macca but he was woeful all year, not fit to be captain or best 22 & was a horrific call GF day 2016 IMO.

Laidler > Marsh

Remove this Banner Ad

Back