Player Ratings

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 2, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Brothers of Destruction
  1. Dustin Martin (Richmond) - Won everything.
  2. Lance Franklin (Sydney) - Won Coleman and catalyst for Sydney comeback)
  3. Alex Rance (Richmond) - All Australian Captain and marshalled best defence in AFL.
  4. Patrick Dangerfield (Geelong) - Excellent season and very consistent.
  5. Tom Mitchell (Hawthorn) - most disposals ever recorded in a season.
  6. Rory Sloane (Adelaide) - Best player first half of season.
  7. Josh Kennedy (Sydney) - Top 5 in Brownlow and another reason for Sydney's dominant year.
  8. Matt Crouch (Adelaide) - established as one of the best midfielders in the competition. Great GF.
  9. Paddy Ryder (Port Adelaide) - Pure joy to watch, impact on field massive.
  10. Robbie Gray (Port Adelaide) - Port's most damaging ball user.
  11. Josh Kennedy (WCE) - Super consistent. Best pure forward in the game.
  12. Sam Jacobs (Adelaide) - A part of this Adelaide juggernaut. Gives them first use.
  13. Michael Hurley (Essendon) - Big reason Essendon made finals, been consistent for a few years.
  14. Eddie Betts (Adelaide) - No. 1 small forward, loses a few places due to poor GF.
  15. Danye Zorko (Brisbane) - Awesome season, a real weapon, blistering pace.
  16. Jeremy McGovern (West Coast) - best contested mark in the game possibly.
  17. Josh Kelly (GWS) - Jet.
  18. Jeremy Howe (Collingwood) - Very underrated season by the officials. Should be AA and have MOTY.
  19. Joe Daniher (Essendon) - Kicked over 60 goals and played the second ruck position very well.
  20. Matthew Kruezer (Carlton) - Fantastic season and really good contested mark, excellent converter.
  21. Michael Hibberd (Melbourne) - Took his game to another level.
  22. Dylan Shiel (GWS) - Breaks the lines better than most in the competition. Damaging player.
  23. Sam Docherty (Carlton) - Future captain of Carlton. No doubt.
  24. Taylor Walker (Adelaide) - Amazing season, great at goal assists, poor GF hurts overall standing.
  25. Zach Merrett (Essendon) - Really hit another level this season. Could be a future Brownlow winner.
  26. Toby Greene (GWS) - Could rip a game to shreds. Caused havoc this season for some teams.
  27. Rory Laird (Adelaide) - Awesome season. Can kill you if you don't put someone on him.
  28. Trent Cotchin (Richmond) - Rose up with a maturing finals campaign. Cemented his legacy.
  29. Ben Brown (N. Melbourne) - Over 60 goals. Has potential to be the best forward in the game.
  30. Luke Parker (Sydney) - Ultra consistent for many years.
  31. Marc Murphy (Carlton) - played his best season in many years, all class.
  32. Brodie Grundy (Collingwood) - Great season, future AA. Amazing since he picked up a footy so late.
  33. Mitch Duncan (Geelong) - Geelong's second best player all season.
  34. Clayton Oliver (Melbourne) - Contested beast. Will be something very special.
  35. Jack Billings (St. Kilda) - Jet
  36. Ollie Wines (Port Adelaide) - Monster in close, great agility.
  37. Ben McEvoy (Hawthorn) - Another ruckman with a fantastic season.
  38. David Astbury (Richmond) - Played against oppositions best defender and beat them all year.
  39. Charlie Dixon (Port Adelaide) - bad misses aside against West Coast, he plays all over the ground.
  40. Jeff Garlett (Melbourne) - Really underrated this season.
  41. Callan Ward (GWS) - My pick for best captain in the AFL.
  42. Ben Cunnington (North Melbourne) - Another underrated player, love the way he goes about it.
  43. Gary Ablett (Gold Coast) - Gary Ablett at 70% is enough to make top 50.
  44. Jack Riewoldt (Richmond) - Contested every mark, played his role and kicked over 50 goals.
  45. Brad Crouch (Adelaide) - Jet, making a great pairing with his brother. Who I have ahead.
  46. Joel Selwood (Geelong) - Good season but nowhere near his best.
  47. Andrew Gaff (West Coast) - Grest user of the ball, accumulator.
  48. Scott Pendlebury (Collingwood) - missing the last part of the season hurt his ranking, had a great start.
  49. Marcus Bontempelli (W. Bulldogs) - Only bulldog player on the list.
  50. Dayne Beams (Brisbane) - Fantastic season, should come second to Zorko in the B&F.

Astbury ahead of Selwood, Pendlebury, Bontempelli and Beams?

Look, it's been a great week for the Tigers but that's a bit of a stretch.
This is not based on their careers, it's based on the year and yes Astbury was better, he helped Richmond win the premiership.

This is not based on their careers, it's based on the year and yes Astbury was better, he helped Richmond win the premiership.
You think Astbury was honestly better than those four throughout 2017? I'm not doubting that he had a very good season, but he is a fair way behind those four in my opinion.

You think Astbury was honestly better than those four throughout 2017? I'm not doubting that he had a very good season, but he is a fair way behind those four in my opinion.
I really aimed to have a wide spread of all different positions. Richmond without David Astbury this year probably don't win a final. He's very underrated and I stick by my decision.

Those other players are phenomenal, however they've had better years and didn't assist their sides in succeeding throughout the season the way Astbury did with Richmond.

It's just an opinion anyway.

Yeah, no.
The Bulldogs were pitiful this season and I really struggled to fit any of their players in. A shell of their former beings. They have the ability to bounce back very quickly, we know their quality but every player on their list under performed in 2017.

I really aimed to have a wide spread of all different positions. Richmond without David Astbury this year probably don't win a final. He's very underrated and I stick by my decision.

Those other players are phenomenal, however they've had better years and didn't assist their sides in succeeding throughout the season the way Astbury did with Richmond.

It's just an opinion anyway.
Maybe on Pendlebury yes, but I couldn't imagine Brisbane without Beams or the Bulldogs without Bontempelli this year.

Very good list though, I like what you have done :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe on Pendlebury yes, but I couldn't imagine Brisbane without Beams or the Bulldogs without Bontempelli this year.

Very good list though, I like what you have done :thumbsu:
Thanks mate and I appreciate the conversation. Really difficult list to do and impossible to agree with everyone but I feel like it's as unbiased as it could possibly be.

Will you do a list just as wrong next season or will you be back in your closet by then when Richmond aren't relevant again ala 2016?

Will you do a list just as wrong next season or will you go back in your closet when Richmond aren't relevant again ala 2016?

Conversion:

'* this arsehole, no players from my team'.

Fremantle were insipid this year. Hopefully next year is better, the question isn't whether they've got talent, it's can they actually deliver on the field.

Matt Crouch in the top 10, I get he improved this year but come on..

The GF raised his value to be honest, he was legit the only Adelaide player that made an impact for all four quarters, he was fantastic and yes, if you can step up all finals series, especially in a Gf, you definitely deserve the credit.

Pretty good imo. I don't really rate buddy that much for some reason, and def think beams is higher, I watched quite a bit of the lions this year. Beams is a straight up jet. Also think heeney should be somewhere in there.

Saw the thread was created by a Richmond supporter and didn't read.

Did he manage to squeeze all of Richmond's squad of 44 into the 50?

Wait for the next Richmond thread: Ranking of Coaches and Assistants closely followed by the thread: Ranking CEOs and club presidents.

Can't believe Gale hasn't got his own thread; or did I miss that one?

Saw the thread was created by a Richmond supporter and didn't read.

Did he manage to squeeze all of Richmond's squad of 44 into the 50?

Wait for the next Richmond thread: Ranking of Coaches and Assistants closely followed by the thread: Ranking CEOs and club presidents.

Can't believe Gale hasn't got his own thread; or did I miss that one?

5 Tigers, 4 undisputed and one underrated but iffy. Hardly stinks of bias.

Think Murphy is overrated - good season and top 50, but if Beams is marked down for impact /=/ wins, so should Murphy. If anything Gibbs has a bigger impact on us winning.

And Laird should be above Docherty because his defensive effort is insane - Docherty is great, but he's probably just a margin below. 1-2 spots maybe.

Agreed with Kreuzer. Think Gibbs would be well-placed in 51-60. And then we get to Cripps, kids, average senior players and that's where we're at.

I think your most glaring oversight is no Shuey (unless I missed him?). Shuey > Gaff by a country mile. Shuey is a gun.

Conversion:

'**** this arsehole, no players from my team'.

Fremantle were insipid this year. Hopefully next year is better, the question isn't whether they've got talent, it's can they actually deliver on the field.

No. If your list is based on just 2017 alone it's garbage, if it's based on the last couple of years it's even more garbage. I actually wonder how many games you watched this year because it looks like you only have the last 8 weeks ingrained in your memory.

Actually watch some more games next time you make this list and if you do - don't give a one sentence summary that even a casual could think of.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back