Player Ratings

Remove this Banner Ad

The AFL Player Rankings are whack - even I a Collingwood supporter wouldn't have Treloar in the top 25 at least. It also severely handicaps injured players - Ablett is the 3rd best player in the AFL but he's in the 40's or 50's or something. No way are Steven, Burgoyne and Neale top 20 players in the comp either, at least in my view.

Like the other posts in this thread - its subjectively based opinions. We will rarely see a list that everyone agrees on.

1. Dustin Martin (Richmond) - Won everything.
  2. Lance Franklin (Sydney) - Won Coleman and catalyst for Sydney comeback)
  3. Alex Rance (Richmond) - All Australian Captain and marshalled best defence in AFL.
  4. Patrick Dangerfield (Geelong) - Excellent season and very consistent.
Dangerfield easily No.2 this year. Only 3 votes behind Dusty in the Brownlow and I don't recall him being beaten.

....12 months more of inane threads by Richmond posters telling us how excellent everything about Richmond is

I don't think they're that great either. Franklin 7th? There is no chance Treloar is the 9th best player in the AFL. Goldstein at 21 is laughable, and here are some names that missed the top 20 altogether:
Rance, Betts, M Crouch, Ward, T Mitchell,
These guys missed top 30:
J Kennedy (WC), J McGovern, J Kelly,
missed Top 40: Ablett,
missed top 50: Fyfe, Hannebury, S Jacobs, Daniher, Laird, Docherty

I could go on, but I think the point is made. If you can find me 77 better players than Rory Laird who is ranked 78, you are doing it wrong, and that ratings system is a joke.

If I recall correctly, player ratings are based on a player's last 40 games.

So breakout players this season such as Crouch, Kelly, Daniher, Oliver, Mitchell are not yet reflected highly. And players who had great 2015/16 seasons are still highly rated.

If I recall correctly, player ratings are based on a player's last 40 games.

So breakout players this season such as Crouch, Kelly, Daniher, Oliver, Mitchell are not yet reflected highly. And players who had great 2015/16 seasons are still highly rated.
Yeh, that could be the problem with them. 40 games is too long, the AFL landscape changes too quickly. A player can go from good to great or great to average within a season and it happens quite regularly.

I'll go with the 2017 AFL player ratings
That is the moving ratings over the past 40 games - here is the most up-to-date ratings for season 2017 (although its only to round 25 which is after week 2 of the finals).

DKNCmaJVoAELQAz.jpg:large

If neutrals don't think Astbury is top 50, then how about Dylan Grimes? He's one of the fastest and hardest defensive players in the league.

Personally, I wouldn't put a single ruckman in the top 50.

They do nothing.

Shaun Grigg was one of our premiership ruck men matching it with Sam Jacobs, so if literally anybody can break even with a supposedly elite ruckman, then ruck men can't be very influential.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If neutrals don't think Astbury is top 50, then how about Dylan Grimes? He's one of the fastest and hardest defensive players in the league.

They do nothing.

Shaun Grigg was one of our premiership ruck men matching it with Sam Jacobs, so if literally anybody can break even with a supposedly elite ruckman, then ruck men can't be very influential.
tenor.gif

He'll be AA or AA squad next year if Richmond do well, mark my words.

Richmond had clearly the best defence all year in the AFL. And it was defence - the ratio of opposition goals per inside 50s was was the lowest in the league. The opposition scored as many Inside 50s against them as any other team. So it wasn't just midfield pressure stopping the ball getting there.

Rance is good - but as long as people don't recognise the similar jobs that Astbury and Grimes do (our two other purely defensive stoppers) , well, they'll just keep under-estimating the Tigers and saying 'Oh, they're just lots of tackling and Martin'. Grimes is particularly good - he can play on people like Betts, or 6-3, 6-4 marking targets. He's one of the best 3rd-man up spoilers.

Rance and Grimes both finished top-5 in Richmond's B&F.

I know crap defenders - I've barracked for Richmond for a very long time. These guys are good.

Dangerfield easily No.2 this year. Only 3 votes behind Dusty in the Brownlow and I don't recall him being beaten.

....12 months more of inane threads by Richmond posters telling us how excellent everything about Richmond is

Dangerfield is No.2 but Geelong players have always had such a comfy ride in these "Top 50" lists over the past decade. Stokes & Mackie are a couple that come to mind.

Dangerfield is No.2 but Geelong players have always had such a comfy ride in these "Top 50" lists over the past decade. Stokes & Mackie are a couple that come to mind.
What's that got to do with the "2017 Player Ratings"?

They do nothing.

Like any position, if the players around you don't back you up, you can be made to look average, Jacobs won the hit outs but when the midfielders are being dominated as clearly as they were on Saturday there is little he could do. Look at the qualifying and prelim finals, the mids came to the party and Jacobs influence was clear to see. Take Sauce out of Adelaide's side next season and we are weakened as much as any other player's absence, look at how badly the Eagles missed naitanui

West Coast won far less hit-outs in 2017 than 2016. Their number of clearances was basically exactly the same (played one more game in 2017)

As regards stoppage clearances, they didn't miss Natanui at all.

You need a ruckman, because if you don't an unopposed ruckman will kill you (although Jacobs didn't have a clue what to do when he was unopposed a few times in the GF). Overall, however, the main thing a ruckman can do is prevent his opponent getting an uncontested tap and then compete in the clearance himself (a big body who is purely focussed on shepherding etc is very useful - if everyone is on the same page).

Adelaide's best two games in terms of winning the hit-outs were the Melbourne game and the GF. They won the hitouts v Melbourne 76-28, and against Richmond 55-28. They lost the overall clearances in both games, and lost both games.
Adelaide lost the hitouts in 9 games this year. They won 7 of those games and drew one. They won the hitouts in 6 of the 7 games they lost.

Ruckmen are important - ruckwork is overrated.

I don't understand why people get so outraged at peoples subjective rankings of players. Yeah, Fyfe probably should be somewhere, I could say the same for Shuey, but it is subjective.

Lol at rating Sam Jacobs so highly.

Isn't even among the top 5 ruckmen in the league IMO. People continually get suckered in by his raw hitout numbers, and disposal and mark tallies, without realising that his actual ruck and stoppage work is average, and his ball use is mediocre and rarely damaging.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back