Review Player Review for the first half of 2018 (Mega Edition - 2 Posts)

Remove this Banner Ad

Yezeha

All Australian
Feb 10, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oklahoma City Thunder
Well, here's the giant mega review I promised. Essentially, I'm gonna review every player who has played a senior game this season (except for Fasolo and Broomhead due to extremely limited sample size) and really go into great depth for every player.

2. Jordan De Goey
Yezeha Nickname(s): Air Jordan

Games Played: 9
Score: 16 Goals, 5 Behinds
Average Disposals: 18
Average Marks: 3
Average Tackles: 3
Best Performance: Round 7 vs Brisbane
Worst Performance: Round 6 vs Richmond

Review:

Jordan has had an interesting first half of the season to say the least. At a glance, his raw statistical averages would suggest he's been an above average half-forward. However, they're not indicative of his impact at all. There have been more than enough games to suggest he is a genuine match winner. He has made his off-field problems feel like an eternity ago. The main examples of his match winning ability are his bags against Brisbane and St Kilda. It was tough to choose which game was better but in the end, I felt like the close nature of the Brisbane game and his impact particularly late were the deciding factors. He has also displayed great ability as a midfielder, having dominated Melbourne in our most recent game. However, his year hasn't been perfect. He is yet to kick a bag against a good team and also had a tendency to go missing at times as a forward (the Richmond game being the main example). That's unfortunately pulled his rating down a little bit but nonetheless, he's had a great year so far.

Rating: 7/10

Challenge:

30 and 22 - Kick at least 30 goals and finish the season averaging at least 22 touches. I think the second figure will be fairly easy as Bucks has indicated more midfield time for him in the second half of the season. To reach the first, he's gotta kick 14 goals over the last 10 home and away games.

3. Daniel Wells
Yezeha Nickname(s): Wellsy

Games Played: 4
Score: 2 Goals, 4 Behinds
Average Disposals: 13
Average Marks: 4
Best Performance: Round 9 vs St Kilda
Worst Performance: Round 12 vs Melbourne

Review:

A disappointing first half of the season to say the least. Out of the 4 games, he's played 1 good one which is just not good enough considering his experience and class. To be fair, its not entirely his fault as his body hasn't allowed him to establish a rhythm in the seniors and unfortunately, probably won't for the rest of the season. Our performance as a team has also meant that he hasn't really been needed much to this point. Still, he doesn't look like the Daniel Wells we were hoping to get and saw at times last year.

Rating: 3/10

Challenge:

Get healthy - and work your way up from there

4. Brodie Grundy
Yezeha Nickname(s): El Grundog

Games Played: 12
Score: 4 Goals, 1 Behind
Average Disposals: 21
Average Tackles: 5
Average Hitouts: 38
Best Performance: Round 4 vs Adelaide
Worst Performance: Round 1 vs Hawthorn

Review:

All I can say is "more please". Grundy has been immense to start the season and to be fair, we all know he's been building into this monstrous form since he debuted. I don't think there is much doubt that he'd be leading the Copeland at the moment by a fair way. His season, much like Collingwood's as a whole, started disappointingly against Hawthorn but he has been immense ever since barring a minor slump from rounds 6-8. The highlight was his utter annihilation of Sam Jacobs and Adelaide in Round 4. I think his recent duel against Gawn probably ended up slightly in his favour as well so he should be in the box seat for All Australian.

Rating: 9/10

Challenge:

All Australian - I know its not entirely within his control since the selectors have been known to shaft us in the past but still, it'd be nice.

7. Adam Treloar
Yezeha Nickname(s): Ads, The blonde dude who won the Anzac medal

Score: 10 Goals, 12 Behinds
Average Disposals: 32
Average Tackles: 5
Best Performance: Round 10 vs Western Bulldogs

Review:

Surprisingly, despite his prolific statistical output, he's flown under the radar a little this year. Nonetheless, he's having an outstanding year. He started off a bit slowly but since then, he's been terrific and consistent with a few standout performances. Picking a best game for Ads was like picking a favourite child but I decided to pick round 10 against the Dogs. In a game that was largely a tale of two halves for Collingwood, Treloar was outstanding throughout the whole game. He's often been criticised for his disposal by foot but this year, I find it difficult to recall many clangers on his part. I can remember quite a few great moments spotting up targets inside 50 and some even greater moments where he's decided to go all the way himself.

Rating: 8/10

Challenge:

Keep it up - A pretty simple challenge. While I do like that he's flown under the radar, I'd love him to force himself into the All-Australian conversation.

8. Tom Langdon

Yezeha Nickname(s): Langers

Score: 1 Goal, 0 Behinds
Average Marks: 6
Best Performance: Round 12 vs Melbourne

Review:

I have to admit, Langers has really impressed me this season and this is coming from someone who hasn't been his biggest fan in the past (see a few deplorable and embarrassing posts in post-game threads from me last year). There hasn't been anything particularly fancy or eye-catching (which in his case is probably a good thing) and he has played his role to a great standard week in week out. He still has one or two heart in your mouth moments every game which are not ideal but are excusable as the good things he does largely outweigh them. The most recent game against Melbourne was probably the ideal Langdon performance. Full credit needs to go to him and the coaching staff for his ability to play to his strengths and hide his weaknesses.

Challenge:

Cut down on those 'moments' - I'm sure the coaches and fans would love that

9. Sam Murray

Yezeha Nickname(s): Zippy

Score: 0 Goals, 1 Behind
Average Marks: 5
Average Tackles: 2
Best Performance: Round 3 vs Carlton
Worst Performance: Round 9 vs St Kilda

Review:

Zippy burst onto the scene with a few exhilarating performances early on. His dash and zip out of the backline gave us a lot excitement in the first few rounds. I thought he was unfairly maligned early on due to the circumstances of his recruitment but I decided to judge him solely on his on-field performance. He quickly became a fan favourite and his almost reckless will to get the ball moving forward was a breath of fresh air for fans after we had to endure the slow, crabby ball movement last year. Unfortunately, not long after his rising star nomination, opposition teams seemed to lock onto his main strength and shut it down. He remained serviceable for the next few rounds but fell away quite sharply from rounds 7-9. Still, as a 20 year old playing in his first season of senior football, I was really impressed with him and I can see there is plenty of potential within him. Hopefully, he can iron out some of his weaker spots and break back into the ones.

Challenge:

Get back into the seniors - then stay there.

10. Scott Pendelbury

Yezeha Nickname(s): Pendles

Games Played: 11
Score: 6 Goals, 2 Behinds
Average Disposals: 27
Average Tackles: 6
Best Performance: Round 11 vs Fremantle

Review:

We may have gone a bit early with the "Pendles isn't elite" calls after the pre-season and round 1. He's still the Rolls-Royce that we all know and love. He's not quite at the same level as 2013-2017 but at the same time, he hasn't really needed to be as many around him have stepped up. At times, Buckley has used him in some more defensive, quasi-tagging roles on the likes of Fyfe and Cripps. These have been his best games of the year so credit needs to go to the coaching staff for coming up with the idea and Pendles for buying in and executing. He's not gonna get the All-Australian accolades anymore but I still feel like there's another level he can go to in the second half of 2018.

Challenge:

Lift - Just a little. You're great how you are now but we all know there's a bit more talent hidden away...

11. Jarryd Blair

Yezeha Nickname(s): Weeman

Games Played: 2
Score: Nil
Average Tackles: 4

Review:

One of the more maligned players on the list. He only played two games in the ones so there isn't a lot to talk about in that regard but I guess he was serviceable in both games. He will remain more than handy depth for the rest of the season. A premiership player with over 100 games of experience isn't the worst backup to have.

Rating: 6/10

Challenge:

Stay ready - to perform if you're called upon.

12. Matt Scharenberg

Yezeha Nickname(s): Schazz

Review:

I am so proud of Schazz. After all the s**t his body has been through, he has finally been able to cement himself in the 22. Not only that, but he has excelled at his role and proven himself one of the most valuable cogs in the back 6. Last year, he was very tentative in the way he played but this year, he has unleashed himself, undoubtedly because of his newfound confidence in his body. The elite traits that he showed as a junior have been on full display. Its hard to find many moments where he's had his colours lowered this season. In the most recent game against Melbourne, he was well beaten by Tom McDonald who does have him exposed for size and height, but other than that, there are really very few poor moments to remember for him.

Challenge:

Keep it up - Once again, a fairly simple challenge. I'd love for him to sneak forward and kick a goal at some point this season. It'd be a great moment for him.

13. Taylor Adams

Yezeha Nickname(s): Tay

Games Played:
Score:
Average Disposals:
Average Marks:
Average Tackles:

Review:

It may seem harsh but I thought Adams had been pretty ordinary until the last 2 and a half games. After round 8, I questioned whether we could really be a good team with him in the side. His poor form culminated in absolute shocker of a first half against the Bulldogs. However, in the last 2 and a half quarters since then, its almost like he turned into a different Taylor Adams. He went back to playing to his strengths and eliminating his weaknesses. Hopefully this is the form that he can carry into the second half of the season as his skill-set really completes our midfield. While he has definitely improved in the last fortnight, the low-ish rating represents his year as a whole.

Challenge:

Maintain this recent form - Simple enough.

14. James Aish

Yezeha Nickname(s): Aisho going nowhere

Games Played: 6
Score: 4 Goals, 1 Behind

Review:

Its a real shame that Aish got injured. It looked like things had finally started to fall in place for him through the first 6 games of the year. He was very good both offensively and defensively playing from the wing. His consistency made it fairly difficult to decide both a best and worst performance for him. His first half on Anzac Day was probably the best football he played for the whole season but his consistency over 4 quarters against Adelaide was probably the deciding factor. Against Hawthorn, he wasn't particularly poor either but wasn't quite at the same level as the other 5 games. Hopefully he's not too far off a return.

Challenge:

Get healthy - and get back into the side.

15. Lynden Dunn
Yezeha Nickname(s): Dunn Dunn Dunnnnnnnn

Review:

A good solid year from Dunn so far. I don't think he's been quite as good as he was last year but he has generally been very good in his role and continues to be an outstanding pickup. This all culminated in a complete shutdown of the for key forward of the competition last game. At times however, he displayed a few lapses in discipline. His moment against Jack Higgins was the worst of them but its easy to forget he gave away stupid goals against Adelaide and Brisbane too. As a senior player and leader of this team, he needs to cut them out.

Challenge:

Stay solid - and don't give away pointless free kicks.

16. Chris Mayne
Yezeha Nickname(s): The Mayne Man

Games Played: 7
Score: 1 Goal, 5 Behinds

Review:

While he remains a maligned member of the team, Mayne has strung together quite a good season so far at senior level. While he may not be the most talented or polished guy on the list, one thing that he never fails in is his application and work rate. He clearly put a lot of work in over the summer to reinvent himself into a player that could contribute to the team. Barring one fairly poor showing against Richmond, he has been solid without being spectacular in the rest of his games. His most recent game against Melbourne was probably the best display of what he provides. I still think he's the one who makes way once Aish gets healthy but he's done a commendable job so far and wouldn't look out of place going forward.

Challenge:

Cult hero status - Follow in the footsteps of our beloved Possum and Anvil into the black and white faithful's hearts.

17. Callum Brown
Yezeha Nickname(s): Rowdy jr. #1

Average Disposals: 17
Average Marks: 2
Worst Performance: Round 8 vs Geelong

Review:

He had a pretty good start to the year but was exposed against some of the better opposition we faced. Against Geelong in particular, his main shortcomings in his size and kicking ability were highlighted and he has been unable to break back into the seniors ever since. Some posters on here think his ceiling is as a Blair type role player which to be brutally honest, is quite fair at this point. However, our last premiership team had a few of these types: we had the Caff, the Anvil, Possum eyes and even Blair himself so even if he ends up being a role player, that doesn't mean he can't contribute to the team. That being said, he's still young and only in his second year so there's still plenty of development to be had with him.

Challenge:

Do a Mayne - Find a way to break into the team and play a role.

18. Travis Varcoe
Yezeha Nickname(s): Trav

Score: 3 Goals, 5 Behinds
Average Disposals: 12
Average Marks: 2

Review:

His stats don't jump off the page but my eyes told me he had been quite a handy part of the forward line. I constantly described him as the 'glue guy' of our forward line (Its a term commonly used in basketball to describe a player who's impact isn't entirely reflected in the stat sheet - For you NBA fans, see: Andre Roberson, Andre Igoudala etc.) He possesses a unique blend of speed, toughness and class whenever he has the pill and he always seemed to have an ability to make good plays. One of the many examples of this is his play against Adelaide where he gained 100 metres without gaining possession of the ball - he got nothing on the stat sheet but made a big impact play. Not to mention, he is one of the few players with finals and premiership experience. I think he is without a doubt part of the best 22 and will prove invaluable moving forward.

Get healthy - and bring back the glue

Challenge:

19. Levi Greenwood
Yezeha Nickname(s): Nails

Games Played: 3
Average Disposals: 14

Review:

I was quite surprised by his inclusion against the Bulldogs and even more surprised when he lined up in the back 6 instead of as a tagger on Macrae or Bontempelli. That being said, he ended up being fairly solid in an unfamiliar role on the night. However, his last two games haven't been great and haven't instilled the confidence that he's the man for that role particularly when we have young talent like Murray and Appleby that can also play it. Maybe the coaches see something that we don't so if he maintains his spot in the side, I hope he can do a good enough job in his role.

Challenge:

Take your chance - Make the role yours.

20. Ben Reid
Yezeha Nickname(s): Reidy

Score: 8 Goals, 6 Behinds
Average Disposals: 12
Average Tackles: 1

Review:

Its pretty clear now that Ben Reid isn't the same player he was 2 years ago. While he can still be a useful contributor when fit, his body as well as the recent emergence of Mihocek is going to make it difficult for him to break back in. His best games this year have been solid at best while his worst have been really poor. Even though he kicked 2 goals against the Tigers, I rated it as his worst performance as throughout the day, he made poor decisions that were swiftly punished. He could make a return to the backline as we have been exposed by bigger key forwards like Casboult and most recently McDonald but with Mihocek playing the forward role well and Moore to return soon, things aren't looking great for Reidy at this point.

Challenge:

Find a way - back into the ones.

21. Tom Phillips
Yezeha Nickname(s): Flippa, Ed Phillips' Brother

Score: 11 Goals, 3 Behinds
Average Disposals: 27

Review:

Flippa has put together a very, very impressive season so far especially considering how many (including me, I must admit) had written him off after the start of the season. He has just made so many improvements to his game in such a short amount of time. His running ability and work rate have always been there but I have been impressed by his tidying up of his disposal and overhead marking. What has impressed me most however are his 11 goals for the year. He's been able to bob up and kick them when it seemed like mere moments earlier, he had been helping out in the backline - truly outstanding work-rate. His season hasn't been without a few poor moments though. He fumbled away a couple of gilt-edged opportunities against Richmond and Hawthorn which would've made both those games interesting and he still has a case of the fumbles at times. That being said, the good he brings really outweighs those bad moments.

Challenge:

Find a way to stay productive - Gonna cop a lot more opposition attention now. Important he fights through it.

22. Steele Sidebottom
Yezeha Nickname(s): Rusty, Sidearse

Score: 8 Goals, 9 Behinds
Average Disposals: 32

Review:

Coming off his first Copeland Trophy last year, Sidebottom has well and truly elevated himself into the elite category of midfielders in the competition. While he has been consistently prolific and good throughout the season, he had a truly spectacular purple patch from rounds 3-5 that he hasn't quite been able to reproduce since. It was difficult to decide which of his performances were the best out of the three - the two 3-goal bags or the complete annihilation of Sloane. In the end I decided to settle on the round 4 performance as it was against the best opposition (at the time). Even in some of his poorer games, he has still been good. His elevation has allowed Pendlebury to be used in more creative ways. In the second half of the season, I'd love to see him spend more time in the forward line especially with De Goey primed for more midfield time. Despite his midfield ability, I still think he's the most dangerous forward we have available at the moment.

Challenge:

Straighten up a little - 8.9 is still too inaccurate for a player of his quality.

24. Josh Thomas
Yezeha Nickname(s): JayTee

Score: 20 Goals, 6 Behinds
Best Performance: Round 5 vs Carlton

Review:

One of the more underrated stories of 2018 in the Collingwood camp has been this guy's resurgence. Most people had written this guy off since the drug suspension but we've all been pleasantly surprised by his form. He enjoyed a pretty solid finish to last season and had a good preseason but I don't think anyone expected him to have the kind of impact he's been able to have thus far and I must say, I'm really proud of him. He has only been goalless 3 times this year and has kicked multiple goals in 6 games - the pick of them being his 5 goal bag against Carlton. He has been one of the main reasons our forward line has been so dangerous and unpredictable this year. Full credit to him. He's been to hell and back, and even though he largely brought it upon himself, you can't discount the effort its taken for him to get back to this level.

Challenge:

40 Goals - This is a tough but achievable challenge for him. To achieve this, he needs to average 2 goals per game for the rest of the season.

25. Jack Crisp
Yezeha Nickname(s): Crispy, Steak Knives

Score: 1 Goal, 2 Behinds
Average Disposals: 24

Review:

Prior to the season starting, I was actually quite happy when I heard he would be playing off half back this year. I though it suited his skill-set quite well and sure enough, it has. He has been a model of consistency this year (really, ever since he joined Collingwood) and has played his role beautifully. At times, his disposal has been poor but most of the time, the error has come because he's trying to create something offensively and I can live with those kinds of mistakes. The only negative that has come with his move to the backline has been a distinct lack of those long running goals from fifty that we saw in previous years. I loved them but I guess I love this role for Crispy even more.

Challenge:

Kick more goals? Maybe? - Not really a requirement but I couldn't think of anything else he can really do except for this.

26. Josh Daicos
Yezeha Nickname(s): Daics, Macedonian Marvel jr. #1

Games Played: 3
Score: 2 Goals, 1 Behind
Average Disposals: 16

Review:

Isn't it great to have a Daicos running around and kicking goals for Collingwood again? In his three games to date, Josh has shown glimpses of his old man while also managing to hit the scoreboard in two of his three games. Its really impossible to decide a best and worst performance as all of them were fairly similar in terms of statistics and impact. Most small forwards only really show glimpses in their first few games - See Fasolo and Elliott in 2011 and 2012 - so I think he is definitely worth persisting with on his performances so far. Hopefully he can nail down a spot and make an impact but he is the obvious candidate to make way when Elliott gets healthy. I think he's still about a year away from really needing to nail a spot down.

Challenge:

Kick a handful at some point - Preferably this Sunday.

30. Darcy Moore
Yezeha Nickname(s): Darce

Games Played: 4
Score: 3 Goals, 0 Behinds
Average Disposals: 7
Best Performance: Round 1 vs Hawthorn
Worst Performance: Round 7 vs Brisbane

Review:

While his body has failed him, his form when he has been healthy hasn't been good enough. He had one promising display both forward and back against the Hawks but was very poor against Brisbane and was injured before halftime in both the other games. While I normally only evaluate on-field performances for our players, there just isn't really much to talk about for Moore. As for the off-field stuff, I'd be absolutely filthy if he were to leave. AFL standard athletic big men don't grow on trees and while he's been inconsistent, he's proven he is AFL standard.

Rating: 3/10

Challenge:

Not really a challenge but ******* stay - Please.

31. Flynn Appleby
Yezeha Nickname(s): Apples

Best Performance: Round 6 vs Richmond
Worst Performance: Round 7 vs Brisbane

Review:

A good solid start to his career so far. He had a very impressive debut and was fairly consistent until he was unluckily dropped for the QBD game. I think he's already shown more than enough to suggest he is going to be a viable long term option as a shutdown small defender. He has many common traits with Sydney's Nick Smith and I think thats the kind of player he should model his game on. As for this year, I'd love for him to get more game time but he's already earned himself a senior elevation next year.

Challenge:

Get back - into the ones.

32. Will Hoskin-Elliott
Yezeha Nickname(s): WHE

Score: 27 Goals, 9 Behinds
Average Disposals: 15
Worst Performance: Round 2 vs GWS

Review:

Outstanding year so far. He has easily been our best and most consistent forward this season. On Monday he became the last man to hold the mantle of kicking a goal in every game. I don't think he'll be able to maintain it for the whole season but what do I know? All year, he has been the model of efficiency and his form in the last two weeks in particular has been quite outstanding. I take full credit for this because I'm the one who gave him the tough love in my Round 10 player review. In all seriousness, all we can hope for is that he maintains this form for the rest of the year.

Challenge:

50 Goals - Once again, difficult but achievable. It'll be hard for the All-Australian selectors not to notice him if he achieves this though.

35. Jaidyn Stephenson
Yezeha Nickname(s): Jet

Score: 18 Goals, 8 Behinds
Worst Performance: Round 3 vs Carlton

Review:

What a jet. The best part is his season didn't really get going until his breakout game against the Crows. Since then, he hasn't taken a step back. Some credit needs to go to the coaches for persisting with him even through poor performances. However, most of the credit needs to go to Stevo himself for following up his two quietest performances with two of his best. It was difficult to choose between the Adelaide game and the Melbourne game for a best performance but I settled on the most recent one. The first game had a bit of a "who the * is this kid" factor about it but against the Dees, he lit them up all day and on a big stage. He could've easily finished with 6 or 7 goals too. Our forward line this year has been a case of 'pick your poison' for opposition teams and he has been one of the deadliest of them all. He's on track to kick 30 goals in his first year as a 19 year old. Holy s**t.

For *s sake, he's only 11 months older than I am...

Challenge:

Rising Star - We all know it should be his but he wears a Collingwood jumper so you never know.

37. Brayden Maynard
Yezeha Nickname(s): Bruzzy Bray

Games Played: 8
Score: 1 Goal, 3 Behinds

Review:

He's had a strange kind of year. I thought he was in line for a real breakout season as an attacking half back but he started the year playing much more accountable and defensive roles. He was unleashed against admittedly weak opposition in Fremantle and he played the kind of game that I thought we'd see more from him. That being said, he's been more than solid in his role but I'd like to see more of the kind of game he played against Freo in the second half of the year.

Challenge:

Elevate - He's got it in him.

38. Jeremy Howe
Yezeha Nickname(s): Howe did he do that?!?!?!?

Score: 2 Goals, 2 Behinds
Average Disposals: 20
Average Marks: 8
Best Performance: Round 9 vs St Kilda

Review:

He has been our best and most consistent defender all season and should firmly be in All-Australian calculations. There's really not much else to say about his year so far except "Keep it up". He's been an absolutely magnificent recruit for us.

Challenge:

Win the car - He was robbed of MOTY last year. I hope he wins it this year.

39. Ben Crocker
Yezeha Nickname(s): Benny, Not Barry

Games Played: 7
Score: 4 Goals, 6 Behinds
Average Disposals: 10
Best Performance: Round 1 vs Hawthorn

Review:

Crocker started off the season strongly being one of our best against the Hawks. However, since that game he was consistently mediocre. I admired his work-rate but other than that, he really didn't provide much. This may seem harsh but he is just way too 'vanilla' as a forward for my liking and I think the forward half has functioned so much better without him. The numbers seem to indicate this too. In the 7 games he has played, we averaged 91.4 points (4 wins, 3 losses) while in the 5 without him, we scored 106.2 (4 wins, 1 loss). However, like Blair he remains handy depth but I don't think he has the weapons to be a good forward at AFL level.

Rating: 5/10

Challenge:

Stay ready - Same challenge as Blair. If god forbid, we get mauled by injuries again, he needs to stay ready to perform at senior level.

41. Brody Mihocek
Yezeha Nickname(s): The other Brody

Games Played: 2
Score: 5 Goals, 1 Behind
Average Disposals: 11

Review:

Only a very small sample size to rate but he has been very good in the two games he played. He had one of the best debuts possible and followed it up with a solid, albeit quieter display against Melbourne. Quite surprising considering he was drafted as a defender and played most of his career there in the VFL. Hopefully he can keep his form up and stay in the team.

Challenge:

Make that spot his - Moore and Reid are waiting in the wings. He needs to maintain his current form to stay in the seniors.

46. Mason Cox
Yezeha Nickname(s): Coxy

Score: 11 Goals, 5 behinds
Average Disposals: 9
Average Hitouts: 9

Review:

He was a colossus in his most recent game but prior to that, he had been going through an up and down year. His season started at the lowest possible point with him failing to take a mark against Hawthorn and being heavily criticised as a result. Over the next few weeks however, he established himself as an important cog in the side structurally without really impacting the game himself. He had probably the best 's**t game' in AFL history against Adelaide as his ability to provide a contest in the air proved highly valuable for the smaller forwards at his feet. He also showed flashes that he was capable of dominating a game in the same manner as the most recent outing by playing great halves against Richmond and Essendon while also standing tall late against the Lions. Hopefully the performance against Melbourne isn't just a flash in the pan and is a genuine breakout game in the same way Round 4 was for Stephenson.

Challenge:

30 Goals - He's at 11 for the season so the form we saw against the Demons really needs to carry over into the second half of the year. If he achieves this, there's no doubt we finish in the top 4.

And that is that. One long ass writeup...

Love this, and the nicknames.

Not sure you can rate Murray, Apples and Mihocek at 7/10, based on their few games, and then rate Cox beneath them. Rating on a small sample size tends to skew the results.

But otherwise a terrific effort, and thanks.

The big question as a whole (the team as a whole) can we continue form? And what form is that? Our best form this season has been against teams that were more fancied at the time in Melb, Ess and Ade and I'll add Richmond for 3 qtrs.

What does that form look like? It's the style of footy, pressure and outnumber at the contest then out run / transition on the link up. Make no mistake this is Nathan's "vision" that has been in his mind for all of these years and only now looks like coming to consistent fruition.

Our worst form? Round 1, and I'm guilty of believing that was going to continue given our "glimpses" in all of those years.

In between form? Unconvincing wins against teams like carl, saints, bris and dogs (given that very good 2nd half doesn't equate to a 4 qtr performance).

Continue our best form and we go top 4 - mark my words, that style of footy is very very difficult to defeat and should contend. A mix of all of our form and we may miss or just scrape in.

Cox is not a 6. Your rating is worthless in terms of his potential value and his last performance.
I based that rating entirely on his performances and didn't let his most recent outing sway it too much. What would you have rated him?

I based that rating entirely on his performances and didn't let his most recent outing sway it too much. What would you have rated him?
On current and potential worth I would give him an 8. You gave Stephenson an 8 though his season has been up and down, and posters have at least twice called for him to be rested (thankfully he wasn't). I think Cox deserves the same rating as him.

Sorry, I came across as blunt with 'worthless'. I do enjoy reading your summaries whether in full agreement or not and appreciate the work put into the stats and comments. My apologies. Poor choice of word.

Last edited:
On current and potential worth I would give him an 8. You gave Stephenson an 8 though his season has been up and down, and posters have at least twice called for him to be rested (thankfully he wasn't). I think Cox deserves the same rating as him.

Current and potential worth is quite different to a review of what's happened in the year to date. Elliott and Moore have current and potential worth, but so far their seasons have been a write off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Current and potential worth is quite different to a review of what's happened in the year to date. Elliott and Moore have current and potential worth, but so far their seasons have been a write off.
Let's agree to disagree. Potential I'm not on a collision course with you about, but current worth to me is self explanatory. - how a player has performed in recent times e.g. Shannon Cox 7/8 - 10, Stephenson similar, and both highly rated because of current form.

Reviews might say 'He started well but finished better' or 'Thought he was a dud and now he's a star' or 'Developed a cult following, hailed an early messiah, but now struggling for a game in the VFL' but ultimately wouldn't they have to be rated on what they've averaged over their allotted games? Otherwise, how does Mihochek in 2 games get 7? If Cox gets 6, then Stephenson should get similar, whereas WHE should have 8.

Current is as current does from where I view player's progress and form. If not available like Moore or Elliott, their current worth is 0, their potential a very different issue..

Last edited:
Enjoyed the write up, agreed with most things and will be keen to see the comparison at round 22.
Unless we make finals of course. In that case, the final writeup might come a bit later (Hopefully a month later after a victory)

Be curious at where the various Copeland positionings leaders etc might be if it was stopped now?

• Copeland leader: Brodie Grundy
  • Runner Up: Steele Sidebottom
  • Third: Adam Treloar
  • Fourth: Tom Phillips
  • Fifth: Jack Crisp
  • Best First Year: Jaiyden Stephenson (a lock)
  • Most improved: Tom Phillips (a lock)
  • Darren Millane / Inspirational: Jordan De Goey
  • Best Clubman: Mason Cox (from Tyson Goldsack and Lynden Dunn)
  • Most 1%: Scott Pendlebury
Some fun prizes:
  • Most maligned player who doesn’t deserve it: Chris Mayne
  • Coaches Pet: Taylor Adams
  • Will win Mark of the year except because if the nasty AFL cheats: Jeremy Howe
  • Best looking player: Ryan Gosling / Tom Phillips (tie)
  • Best hair or is that worst: Darcy Moore (VP decides)
  • Best comeback from injuries: Matthew Scharenberg
  • Best silk but hasn’t left the tailors much this year: Daniel Wells
  • Best player who posts on Bigfooty: Ben Reid (Waltblaknwite we all know it’s you)
  • Most hurtful injury: Jaime Elliott
  • Best placement into a bin: Jaime Elliott
  • Taxi or Uber? Yep, Jordan
  • The non Collingwood Person, Services Award to Collingwood: Bolton

Be curious at where the various Copeland positionings leaders etc might be if it was stopped now?

• Copeland leader: Brodie Grundy
  • Runner Up: Steele Sidebottom
  • Third: Adam Treloar
  • Fourth: Tom Phillips
  • Fifth: Jack Crisp
  • Best First Year: Jaiyden Stephenson (a lock)
  • Most improved: Tom Phillips (a lock)
  • Darren Millane / Inspirational: Jordan De Goey
  • Best Clubman: Mason Cox (from Tyson Goldsack and Lynden Dunn)
  • Most 1%: Scott Pendlebury
Some fun prizes:
  • Most maligned player who doesn’t deserve it: Chris Mayne
  • Coaches Pet: Taylor Adams
  • Will win Mark of the year except because if the nasty AFL cheats: Jeremy Howe
  • Best looking player: Ryan Gosling / Tom Phillips (tie)
  • Best hair or is that worst: Darcy Moore (VP decides)
  • Best comeback from injuries: Matthew Scharenberg
  • Best silk but hasn’t left the tailors much this year: Daniel Wells
  • Best player who posts on Bigfooty: Ben Reid (Waltblaknwite we all know it’s you)
  • Most hurtful injury: Jaime Elliott
  • Best placement into a bin: Jaime Elliott
  • Taxi or Uber? Yep, Jordan
  • The non Collingwood Person, Services Award to Collingwood: Bolton

Love that you managed a dig at Bolton with your last dot point. Good work.:thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back