Review Player review v Geelong

jonmacTrag

Premiership Player
May 27, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
I’ve had/got EBV it’s not debilitating for everybody, the research is not definitive and there are no direct links to chronic fatigue. Pendles had it early days too.

Definitely his lack of prep will show with his ability to cover the ground etc, but most players are in that category. My question on him though is not his ability, but more his heart...I think he’s soft. You can’t teach somebody to be hard, and if someone needs to be traded to make way for a quality KPF, he’d be my pick.
Well you don't have a question you are making and outright accusation.
Pretty tough talk on the internet.
I will wait until definitive proof is in before besmirching anyone.

Horaceg

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2014
Sydney
AFL Club
Collingwood
Stephenson is a third year player who missed half of his second year and had a pretty debilitating illness at the start of the third. Trading him is a ridiculous call.
We have two players that have a special talent to make something happen, he's one the other guy kicked five in the wet.

Pragmatic Shill

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 2, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Well if a quality key position tall is a need, you have to give something up for him...unless we can snare a free agent I guess. Stepho has currency, we have a lot of quality small forwards and Stepho for me is soft and I despise soft players.

You have to give up something to get something...Depends on your perspective, does our list need improving in the key forward positions?

Of course our list needs improving in that area. But there isn't a key forward available that a club would be willing to part with that is worth giving up Stephenson. I'd love one of the King twins and Stephenson being included in that trade would just about get it done but neither of them will be let go by their clubs.

Horaceg

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2014
Sydney
AFL Club
Collingwood
Well if a quality key position tall is a need, you have to give something up for him...unless we can snare a free agent I guess. Stepho has currency, we have a lot of quality small forwards and Stepho for me is soft and I despise soft players.

You have to give up something to get something...Depends on your perspective, does our list need improving in the key forward positions?
Stepho? No offence,appreciate your opinion but Stepho? This guy will mature, two an half years in, anyone one that comes in plays a full year as a kid, looked like a child out there and delivered the sort of football that saw him as the number one emerging talent of that draft pool.

I'm keeping him

Jun 10, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood
Stepho? No offence,appreciate your opinion but Stepho? This guy will mature, two an half years in, anyone one that comes in plays a full year as a kid, looked like a child out there and delivered the sort of football that saw him as the number one emerging talent of that draft pool.

I'm keeping him
Fair enough, I’m just here to share an opinion. Who else would you trade, provided it’s needed?

Jun 10, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood
Of course our list needs improving in that area. But there isn't a key forward available that a club would be willing to part with that is worth giving up Stephenson. I'd love one of the King twins and Stephenson being included in that trade would just about get it done but neither of them will be let go by their clubs.
For certain they come at a premium, which is why you need to give up something of value. Discontent and disharmony, home sickness can arise at any time you never know what might be available come trade time.

Pragmatic Shill

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 2, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Fair enough, I’m just here to share an opinion. Who else would you trade, provided it’s needed?

Phillips is expendable, we have Sidebottom or Mayne that can play on the wing along with Daicos improving out of sight, Quaynor and Noble capable of doing so and the development of TBrown and Rantall that can also do it.

Phillips is a best 22 player who is durable, contracted and young but without a set role. He would have some currency.

Pragmatic Shill

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 2, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
For certain they come at a premium, which is why you need to give up something of value. Discontent and disharmony, home sickness can arise at any time you never know what might be available come trade time.
Can almost guarantee the King twins won't be going anywhere this year. In fact, Max King won't be going anywhere his whole career, you can take that to the bank.

On SM-G981B using BigFooty.com mobile app

surfer1

Premiership Player
Aug 8, 2006
coogee
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
parramatta
I’ve had/got EBV it’s not debilitating for everybody, the research is not definitive and there are no direct links to chronic fatigue. Pendles had it early days too.

Definitely his lack of prep will show with his ability to cover the ground etc, but most players are in that category. My question on him though is not his ability, but more his heart...I think he’s soft. You can’t teach somebody to be hard, and if someone needs to be traded to make way for a quality KPF, he’d be my pick.
I think you should replay the game against the Hawks, he was hard at it supported his teammates and showed a bit of mongrel whilst playing in an unfamiliar position against more experienced players

manicpie

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood

The only forward we can realisticly trade for is 2M Peter, there just isn't any up for grabs. To trade Stepho at this stage of his career would be crazy, in 5 years time he will be ripping the Competition apart

Mar 11, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
This review was a bit of a mixed bag.

A couple of good calls (e.g. WHE has been largely terrible since 2018, contributes nothing most weeks) and some shockers (e.g. Stephenson. He's one of the best players at the club despite only having 45 senior games to his name. Will be a superstar).

The one whose head I always find myself calling for is Cal Brown. I just don't understand what he does.

He is completely anonymous for almost all of his games and the good things he is capable of doing, such as the odd goal out of a stoppage, are far too infrequent to make him at all useful. He is short, weak, not particularly quick, there's no penetration in his kicking and he's not offensively talented enough to play as a permanent forward. He's quite good below his knees and has good reflexes, but is several levels below our elite centre bounce brigade, so won't get a gig in there either. At least Wills can affect the contest and his tackles stick, and I don't even rate him much.

Most weeks Brown is completely anonymous and the rest of his games are a sprinkling of terrible performances or largely anonymous performances where he does a couple of nice things and has 'contributed'. He's not AFL standard and IMO never will be.

His brother, on the other hand, is a little bit special in my opinion. Gives me Fyfe vibes.

Last edited:

covid19

Senior List
Jun 30, 2020
Croydon
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'd trade him for one of the King twins or someone similar but not for anything less. So basically we are stuck with Stevo. Didak was a soft player but would have thought he was vital to our 2010 win. Skillful players with elite disposal are crucial inclusions in any team seeking to win a premiership. I think you should get used to the fact he won't be going anywhere.

Last edited:
May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory

Stephenson is a special talent and I believe our best forward. He isn't soft. There was a chest mark he took last night where he needed to protect the ball but to do so was going to cop the hit. He knew it and he didn't shirk. He stood and copped it. He isn't the body shape now, and likely won't ever be, to be throwing his weight around. Stephenson is a player you build a forward line around. Trading him would be insanity.

Last edited:

themulletking

Senior List
Jul 1, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
Cannot believe we're talking about trading Stephenson: 100% untouchable, easily one of the best prospects on our list. Can just about do anything, just imagine how good he'll be when he actually grows a body. Drafting him was a key reason for 2018/1st half of 2019, his that scary.

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory
Well you don't have a question you are making and outright accusation.
Pretty tough talk on the internet.
I will wait until definitive proof is in before besmirching anyone.

You still refuse to accept Heritier Lumumba was nicknamed and called chimp despite all the proof. I'm not sure what would be "definitive proof" for you. It's a convenient argument you use to shout down anyones opinions that are contrary to yours.

Let's do away with the stupid macho notion that tough is better. Better is better and Stevo is as good as they come.

I can love both Maynard and Stevenson in equal measure because they each have amazing but unique qualities.

Nobody soft makes an afl list... except Lonie.

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sydney Sweeney's Shaving Team...
If we are going to continue with the idiotic "one ruckman" plan then we need to make some proper sacrifices on the field when Grundy goes off the ground. Roughead is a premiership ruckman and Moore has excellent ruck skills. We need to utilise one of them when needed and just hope the backline can cope for 5-10 minutes. Not ideal but better than Wills (or nobody at all which happened a lot last night). Better still, play Cox.

To tell you the truth, i like Mason but I was happy when I got to the ground and found out that he got replaced in the team.

I got worried again when I looked down at the half forward flank and saw the midfield practising clearances using Rupe as the ruckman. It looked like the first training session after someone came up with the idea. I didnt expect Rupe not to even make contests. He might have forgotten to nominate for them. That's pretty understandable. Last night wasnt the conditions to try to get Mason back into form. If the weather improves next week against the beagles, he might be given half a chance to succeed.

Back