Review Player review

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks for the incisive advice. Marstermind seems a misnomer if you can't understand what is an obvious & common rating system. It's a combination of performance, expectation & starting base. FYI Dusty would probably get an 8 - very good but less than last year. What rating system would you use?

Good players get high scores, bad players get low scores, players who didn't play get no score.

I was hoping to get some thoughts on the three players I found hardest to score: Sugar, Ats and Mason.

I don't reckon any of them had particularly good years despite playing most games between them. I heard Boomer on radio yesterday say that he doesn't think we can play Ats and Sugar in the same forward line going forward as neither of them get crumbing goals. I agree with this particular when a fit Garner is available.
So I would appreciate some comments on this rather than fellow NMFC fans sniping over a pretty obvious rating system and time consuming reviews. After all I could score Maj, Jed etc good scores and Morgan a low one but there is no subtlety in that and would take about 5 mins to do the whole list.

I was hoping to get some thoughts on the three players I found hardest to score: Sugar, Ats and Mason.

I don't reckon any of them had particularly good years despite playing most games between them. I heard Boomer on radio yesterday say that he doesn't think we can play Ats and Sugar in the same forward line going forward as neither of them get crumbing goals. I agree with this particular when a fit Garner is available.
So I would appreciate some comments on this rather than fellow NMFC fans sniping over a pretty obvious rating system and time consuming reviews. After all I could score Maj, Jed etc good scores and Morgan a low one but there is no subtlety in that and would take about 5 mins to do the whole list.

Don't worry about it.

Everyone has different opinions about how people played and how they rate things. If we all thought the same way what would be the point of even having a discussion board?

Mason ... dunno it'll be hard to tell until he gets a run at it. He seems to go missing alot as people say but this I noticed him tackling, smashing into opposition players and other sorts of things when he wasn't getting alot of the ball which is always a good sign. if players go missing then don't try and get themselves into the game thats not good but he appeared to be trying to at times.

Ats seemed to disappear after he signed his contract... dunno whats up with that and Suga had an average year but i value the stuff he does more than most.

If you were in a street fight, going into battle or playing finals next season then you'd want him beside you not coming at you.

My scoring is based on how the player went compared to where they were at the start of the year.
Then Paul Ahern is a 10.

Bloke coming off two knee recos had 37 touches in one of his first 10 games.

Also in the absence of Higgins became the focus of opposition team Defence.

Rating him anything other than 10 relative to where he was is nuts.

You also seem to have rated a bunch of players at a 6 just by virtue of them getting injured rather than relative to where they were prior to the season.

Lets pull one of those apart.

EVW doubled his games total. But what a 7 games it was.

Kid is a lock. Once he's fit he's in, no ifs no bits, he's fit he plays. He established that in the 7 game he played.
Relative to where he was that's huge and significantly higher than the 6 you rated him.
Definitely higher than the 6 you've rated other players.

I can only guess that he's rated a 6 because of a freak collision with goal post. Something entirely out of his control.

This is just an example of how your (its not common as you stated) rating system is flawed.

Those three are difficult to score but get games so must have value to the selection panel.

Sugar does good defensive work in a position where you usually see a zippy guy who either scores a lot or has score assists. Jy could be playing in his spot.
Ats is all over the field as our one true fast player. He doesn't get front of the KPFs but more running at goal.
Wood doesn't really have a position. Maybe high hff but he's too often out injured.

You also seem to have rated a bunch of players at a 6 just by virtue of them getting injured rather than relative to where they were prior to the season.

Lets pull one of those apart.

EVW doubled his games total. But what a 7 games it was.

Kid is a lock. Once he's fit he's in, no ifs no bits, he's fit he plays. He established that in the 7 game he played.
Relative to where he was that's huge and significantly higher than the 6 you rated him.
Definitely higher than the 6 you've rated other players.

I can only guess that he's rated a 6 because of a freak collision with goal post. Something entirely out of his control.

This is just an example of how your (its not common as you stated) rating system is flawed.

Wonderdog, your comments and analysis are fine - I've read all of them and found them interesting and generally on the money. I'd prefer some discussion about the players one by one rather just listing your own personal musings. I think that's what King Corey was getting at. But it's still better than most of the nonsense I contribute so fair enough.

It's just that your scoring system is rubbery at best. Yes we are being picky on what is an otherwise excellent analysis. What OF says is spot on. Let's pick apart another "6" - Alex Morgan. Played 2 games. Made no impact in either other than a crucial error at the end of a close loss and got injured early in the other game. Doesn't look likely to be part of any long term plans. But because that was more than we expected from him, he gets the same score as good contributors like EVW, Waite, Jacobs, Marley and Simpkin and more than Wood, Atley, Turner who, despite being frustrating, at least contributed something.

Whilst my rating system isn't as complex as yours, it would give a better indication of what players actually did.

I agree the scoring system has to be about context. I've looked at a view but viewing performances in terms of context I think is the right way to.

Example Jed. 20 possies per game, played 22 games lower than average DE. Scie with no context 6 an average mids season. With context he was playing for his career & put Together by far & away his best season & attackedbthe ball like a mad man 9

Ahern. 10 games good metrage, dropped twice. One sensational game. 5. With context. Coming off 2 recos. Not played before. Inconsistent as to be expected. 8.

I agree the scoring system has to be about context. I've looked at a view but viewing performances in terms of context I think is the right way to.

Example Jed. 20 possies per game, played 22 games lower than average DE. Scie with no context 6 an average mids season. With context he was playing for his career & put Together by far & away his best season & attackedbthe ball like a mad man 9

Ahern. 10 games good metrage, dropped twice. One sensational game. 5. With context. Coming off 2 recos. Not played before. Inconsistent as to be expected. 8.

Ahern had 2 sensational games imo. 29 possessions and 5 clearances in your debut senior game has to sensational by definition. That blew me away as much as anything he did this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back