Player Sponsorship Player Sponsorship 2013

Which opton do you prefer to contribute to?

• Player sponsorship and membership / ticketing

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Macca19 is onto it. Chief advises there is an issue with the screen real estate the new version takes up so looking into a shortened version, eg
sp-pa-butcher-12-beta-png.16245

Chief will have a tinker with the appearance.

OK so myself and Portology attended the "Before The Bounce" event on the weekend and from the moment I received Portology's SMS at 5pm saying "I'm waiting outside the Magarey Room... next to 2 hot chicks" I knew I was in for a top night. Unfortunately, he didn't know the girls, but it made finding him very very easy indeed. :p

So we headed up and Paul Rofe, Daniel Stewart and a few female staff were there to great us and check out names off the list (this was my second BTB as I attended the R1 event last year). The people filed in and already among the crowd I sensed an atmosphere of positive expectation around the place. Probably due to the general vibe around the club and the best start to our season, sitting at 4-0.

Beer and fine finger food was presented to us on arrival as Portology and I settled into some great conversation. Lamb, pea and cream/feta cheese tarts were rather nice, arancini balls were tasty, but the plate of the night in my mind was these small cornish type pasties filled with braised beef... succulently delicious (as Bruce might say). Time seemed to fly by and before long it was time to find our table #26 (of about 30).

Being the ANZAC Day round there were certainly some big names about place. I dare say that of any BTB event I reckon the ANZAC Day event would be the best/preferred one to attend aside from a showdown BTB. The usual past/present suspects from PAFC were there Kochie, KT, Tredders, Boulton etc... quite a few pollies were there, the West Coast Eagles Chairman and CEO (as special guests), some ANZAC diggers (more later) and some top level brass including a guest speaker Read Admiral (forget which one)... plus one legendary John Cahill (I was drooling as I loved this guy growing up). Tredders (we love you monolith) was the MC and did you expected intro, thank you's etc...

Tredders then plugged today's BTB sponsor SGIC and a promotion they have running ATM... SGIC Support Crew. Basically, they need volunteers for various roles around the club... you can check them our and sign-up here if you're interested:

http://www.nrma.com.au/sa/supportcrew

He then handed over to Kochie.

Kochie went on to talk about the importance of the ANZAC Day round, our strong support and involvement in it, the brief history behind the Peter Badcoe Medal and to pay thanks to a few special people including Lockhart Road, before moving on to briefly cover the Peter Chant story. Kochie then announced our membership figures and how we've broken our all time highest membership figure set in 1998 by now recording 38,650 members. That we should hit the 40k goal well before the Collingwood game, but we still need to do the work to get people on board.

Kochie then handed back to Tredders and then quickly over to Darren Burgess. Tredders had gone a little over schedule (probably due to tracking/reporting on Crows thumping to the delight of the room), so DB didn't have much time before having to leave for the team warm-up. DB spoke briefly about most of his well know postings, how AFL has changed including rotations (PAFC were leading the way with rotations in 2007 with around 40 odd and now most clubs do about 140 :eek:), he spoke about the differences in the 2007 - 2013 squads... the current one is a lot younger, so you can push them harder in a way. Biggest challenge was with 17/18 off-season injuries/operations and considering that with the training, but he wanted to make the players bodies/minds durable to the rigors of AFL footy. He mentioned you need to do this over a number of seasons, that this year was the 1st and next year he will be able to push them harder as they mature/develop. He then joked about the huge $$$ in the EPL, around $95k per week salary for the team, and how a 17yo who just signed his 1st contract rocked up to training in a new Ferrari.

Around about this time they put up a video package of Kane Cornes to mark his 250th game, but this was as the main meal (a lovely chicken dish) was served and my back was to the screen, so I didn't see much as I ate.

The Rear Admiral (name is on the tip of my tongue.. grrr) then spoke about ANZAC Day, the ADF qualities and Peter Badcock again etc. Keith Thomas then quickly took the stage for a special presentation... one that should have been done late last year, but due to (un)availability reasons it couldn't. He awarded Phillip Walsh (now with the WCE) with a PAFC Lifetime Membership Award (IIRC) for his 10 years of wonderful service to the club (perhaps deserves its own "Toast" thread). PW accepted and was extremely appreciative of the award and PAFC for their help. It was truly marvelous to see to both clubs being so respectful of one another.

Finally Tredders showed The Footy Show footage of Gary Lyon in Rundle Mall being smacked by pies after he lost the bet when tipping the Crows to win the Showdown. Checkout the video... and *** NOTE: how he rocks up in a PAFC kit ready for the pies to be thrown at him, but someone points out "We can't have people throw pies at the PAFC gurnsey!!!"... who raised this point???? None other than Mr Oliver Wines (he loves this club) !!!

That ended the pre-game stuff and we headed around to the outer to watch the 1st half with our normal mates etc. At half time I went back to met with Lockhart Road and take him back around to the outer to introduce him to Ford Fairlane and RussellEbertHandball (I saw pastmyprimus was there too). After that I took LR back to his seat and colleagues, it was truly a pleasure/honor to meet and chat with LR.

From there on out I sat back in with the riff-raff and enjoyed our miraculous comeback for the ages. :D

All in all a fantastic evening out.
Cheers All

It wasn't Rear Admiral Kevin Scarce the Governor of SA was it kaysee?

Thanks again to you for bringing Lockhart Road around, one of the many highlights of a great night. I trust LR made it back to his place at the event and didn't live up to the company WTFRW nickname? ;)

wow ... what an event to attend as player sponsorship rep for big footy!

I may have to move back to SA! :rolleyes:

(is there any interstate events like this? Ford Fairlane ???

wow ... what an event to attend as player sponsorship rep for big footy!

I may have to move back to SA! :rolleyes:

(is there any interstate events like this? Ford Fairlane ???
I hear there is a nsw event in June. Can we get tickets from this sponsorship

So this is a bit late, but I've been busy today, and celebrated last night :)

Myself and DonDraper were lucky enough to have our names drawn out of the hat, and therefore got to attend the Before The Bounce event yesterday.

What a fantastic event - met don in the Checkside tavern and headed up to the Magary room just after 2pm. The room looked great, fully decked out with the Renault in the corner. We were sat on a table with some others, I forget who they were or why they were there (sponsors of some kind I believe), and a work experience kid. Apparently his dad is the CEO of one of our sponsors. Nice perk. The booze was flowing and the food was good. First course was some fancy chicken thing which I liked. At all place settings was a macaroon in Port colours in a little box provided by Renault - a nice touch. Nussy provided the music, which was fantastic, and Jane Reilly was the MC.
Kochie then spoke, made it extremely clear that despite any rumours to the contrary, they would fight tooth and nail to keep the magpies in the SANFL, citing numerous figures that it wouldn't make any sense (financially, or otherwise) for anyone to not want to see the Magpies in the SANFL. The crows were a different story - DonDraper may remember his comment about the fact that we're actually a football club, not some made up team. Brilliant. As it was ladies round, he had some excellent words about the women connected to the cub, and also said a few words about J-Mac. Also discussed the great rivalry we have with the Pies, and the connection to our SANFL team, dropping a few gentle digs along the way. Kochie is an excellent speaker - unfortunately we were unable to get a photo with him (our fault really, we should have just gone and asked).
Then came the steak main which was excellent, served with beans, a salad and some kind of potato thing (I think it was potato - it was good either way). The CEO of Renault Australia then spoke, and it was interesting to hear that many AFL clubs had approached them in recent years and been knocked back, as they had initially with us, however after meeting key people at the club, hearing our story and what we're trying to do, they could identify with us, being the small guys in a big market etc. Also said they didn't see the arrogance they found at some other clubs. They're very happy with the partnership, and Renault have had increased sales every month since the sponsorship was announced, culminating with record sales with June. Was extremely positive about the future with PAFC.
Don then headed off to find his seat, but I hung around for dessert. I couldn't tell you what it was, but it was tasty. And I ate yours, Don - thanks ;)
During that, Jane Reilly interviewed one of the host mums, and that was about it.
I headed back at half time for a couple more free bevvies, and they had scones jam and cream, mini pies, pasties, sausage rolls, chicken tenders, as well as a number of the desserts they obviously had left over. I then headed around to meet a few mates in 116.

Overall it was a really good event, so I'm pretty thankful for the opportunity to attend. A couple of pics below. Don may be able to fill in anything I missed!

HLX09tR.jpg

F3omyoI.jpg

NNZpPmh.jpg

nUTmfVF.jpg

BgeGaZI.jpg

OsLZqN8.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Came to write a review, thanks for the great write up Moses01! Was great to meet you and talk all things PAFC.

You covered most things but I'll just add that Ah Chee checked us in at the door, which was a little highlight. Kochie's speech was pretty inspiring. The man is just a leader. We're in not only safe, but ambitious hands. One thing I liked hearing about was the rivalry between both clubs. Kochie mentioned that growing up, himself and other Port fans naturally supported the Magpies and the respect and admiration between the two clubs was high. The J-Mac mention was touching and after watching the game don't think we could have honoured him any better.

More than welcome to have my dessert mate haha, I wanted to scan in and back out to win the car plus wanted to catch Eddie Dingle at the Premiers Bar! Hope you enjoyed the game and like me had no voice left when leaving the ground.

Just like to say thanks to Ford Fairlane for organising the Player Sponsorship!

Edit: It won't let me tag your names for some reason!

Came to write a review, thanks for the great write up Moses01! Was great to meet you and talk all things PAFC.

You covered most things but I'll just add that Ah Chee checked us in at the door, which was a little highlight. Kochie's speech was pretty inspiring. The man is just a leader. We're in not only safe, but ambitious hands. One thing I liked hearing about was the rivalry between both clubs. Kochie mentioned that growing up, himself and other Port fans naturally supported the Magpies and the respect and admiration between the two clubs was high. The J-Mac mention was touching and after watching the game don't think we could have honoured him any better.

More than welcome to have my dessert mate haha, I wanted to scan in and back out to win the car plus wanted to catch Eddie Dingle at the Premiers Bar! Hope you enjoyed the game and like me had no voice left when leaving the ground.

Just like to say thanks to Ford Fairlane for organising the Player Sponsorship!

Edit: It won't let me tag your names for some reason!

I goitta move back to SA ... how fantastic!

do YOU guys where something to identify yourself as 'bigfooty' sponsors?

Ford Fairlane DonDraper Moses01

I goitta move back to SA ... how fantastic!

do YOU guys where something to identify yourself as 'bigfooty' sponsors?

Ford Fairlane DonDraper Moses01

Not me, I prefer being a ghost in the machine. ;)

Welcome back to SA. Just remind yourself of SA's motto, In the race of life always back self-interest, at least you know it's trying. (apologies to Sydney, Paul Keating and Jack Lang ;))

Did there end up being a raffle for mech at all
Not me, I prefer being a ghost in the machine. ;)

Welcome back to SA. Just remind yourself of SA's motto, In the race of life always back self-interest, at least you know it's trying. (apologies to Sydney, Paul Keating and Jack Lang ;))
Did there end up being a raffle for mech at all ...????

I just say 'we are from the internet' and they move on pretty quick

;)

haha ... Moses01 ... wear a 'crowvertiser' badge (if you know that facebook shitfight site?) or 'TPFP' ? ;)

Back