Player Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Just make sure you split step, and make contact with the ball out in front of you. Get both those things right, and you can do everything else wrong and still hit a good volley.

Very interesting reading here fellas :thumbsu:

I have only recently gotten right into tennis, I had never played as a junior so coming in fresh was a challange, at the moment I would say Im up to a level were I can hold my own. I play with a mate who is roughly the same level and we try to play twice a week, I would love to join a club and be involved with social play but am a bit trepadicious with my skill level. Plus playing footy during Winter rules out Tues, Thurs and Sat, so will look more into it over the next summer.

As for game style I am much more a control over power guy, I like to hit corners and work my mate side to side, I have a fairly topspin heavy forehand and play a one handed backhand, although at the moment this is purely a defensive shot, I can prob count the amount of backhand winners Ive hit on one hand :D This is the part of my game I would most like to work on and will be looking into a few 1 on 1 coaching sessions. My serve is competent enough, a few aces here and there and like I said hitting lines and corners helps. Being drawn into the net is my worst nightmare haha, I avoid it like the plague :oops: Look forward to following this thread and any hints and tips thrown my way would be much appreciated :thumbsu:

At the moment Im playing with a Babolat Pure Drive

B101150-X.jpg

You sound a very similar player to me, Dewy006. Similar racquet, too; I run a Babolat Aeropro Drive GT (sounds like a bloody car, therefore is good ;)).

I'd suggest playing around with a few different strings to see. The hardest part for me, playing with heavy topspin, was finding the correct balance. For me a string more suited to power was very hard to adjust to, but eventually added another dimension to my game. I'd have a look at Cobra strings - they're what I use and I love them.

You sound a very similar player to me, Dewy006. Similar racquet, too; I run a Babolat Aeropro Drive GT (sounds like a bloody car, therefore is good ;)).

I'd suggest playing around with a few different strings to see. The hardest part for me, playing with heavy topspin, was finding the correct balance. For me a string more suited to power was very hard to adjust to, but eventually added another dimension to my game. I'd have a look at Cobra strings - they're what I use and I love them.

Yeah being a bit of a novice, stuff like Strings and tension is a bit foreign to me, at the moment I have the Babolat Hurricane strings, Ill see how I go and there is a pro tennis shop just down the road so I may duck in there and get some advice and make some adjustments, I would like to add some more power but not at the sacrifice of control and placement. I have read a Poly string is great for Top Spin players?

You're using a poly string at the moment (or rather a copoly, which is basically the same thing these days).

IIRC Hurricane is a very spin-friendly string. You can probably find a poly string that is a bit stiffer and gives you a bit more power. As your strokes improve though, you will find yourself generating all the power you need.

I string with multis at the moment, which I find gives a good balance - I can string it quite tight, so it doesn't feel like a trampoline. Only tradeoff is that the durability is terrible and it is costing me a fortune. I think I will switch to stringing with poly mains and multi crosses.

You're using a poly string at the moment (or rather a copoly, which is basically the same thing these days).

IIRC Hurricane is a very spin-friendly string. You can probably find a poly string that is a bit stiffer and gives you a bit more power. As your strokes improve though, you will find yourself generating all the power you need.

I string with multis at the moment, which I find gives a good balance - I can string it quite tight, so it doesn't feel like a trampoline. Only tradeoff is that the durability is terrible and it is costing me a fortune. I think I will switch to stringing with poly mains and multi crosses.

Cheers Caesar :thumbsu: Yeah like I said the whole string thing is new to me, Poly, Gut, Natural Gut, Multi :confused: Seems the best way is just a trial and error, as long as I avoid having to restring every month or so, I'll start basic and then work out from there.

Natural gut is awesome but really expensive and needs to be restrung constantly. I have played with it a couple of times and for my style of game (S&V, reasonably flat hitting) it's amazing.

Synthetic gut is generally single-filament nylon (I think). It's cheap and durable, but really stiff and kind of unforgiving.

Multis (multiple strands of nylon) are about as close to natural gut as you can get, but again it's not very durable and kind of expensive.

Poly strings are by far the most popular going around and give you ridiculous amounts of spin. Pretty durable too. Most of the pros use polys.

They're the most common ones. There are other materials floating around but I don't know much about them. I played a tournament over Easter and a guy there had his racquet strung with Kevlar string. I had never heard of it. Maybe it is the new thing.

Speaking of S&V, I watched this instructional video with Pat Rafter recently that talks about how to integrate S&V tactics into your game. It's a bit slow going (he gets into the demonstration about the 9min mark) but he gives a pretty good overview:

I am not sure if the link will work, but if it doesn't you can watch it for free (along with a few other videos about how to develop a Rafter-style kick serve) by registering at www.patrafterserve.com

Anyone here play competitively (high pennant/Aus ranking tourns) in Melb? After a few solid hit-outs as have got almost a month off.

Just as an aside, I've been coaching for roughly 3 years so can give some tips to people in this thread who are after them. :thumbsu:

I am down in Melbourne in a couple of weeks, rustle me up a racquet and we can maybe have a hit. Been out of pennant for a couple of years but still play club comps with the coaches. You'd beat me but it wouldn't be a walkover.

Sounds good to me, not after a super competitive hit but enough to get me hitting consistently and what-not.

Got a friend who plays VFL footy and coaches tennis as well, runs out of time to have a proper hit. Can't do everything I spose

Nah, I'd be no good. Only very, very casual these days, and any time I have a hit I pretty much destroy my legs :p.
Plus i'm in Geelong, and cbf travelling only to come back and be dead, haha.

But enjoy :thumbsu:.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just having a quick look through the thread:
Dannnnnnnnnn
Dewy006
matt_897

You guys free in a couple of weeks and in Melb? Get a bit of a social hit going, be interesting putting a few faces to usernames

EDIT:
Even Igloo Chris_2593?

Long way to come over from Perth to get my ass handed to me :p

Have been actually playing a bit more in Winter here, great weather in Perth for it, bit cooler and no breeze to speak of at night, one handed back hand coming along nicely, have actually hit a couple of winners off it :eek:. Really trying to work on my positioning at the moment, getting around the ball and trying not hitting off balance.

I have a love/hate relationship with Tennis, its one of those sports I can be having a crap night, nothing coming off and one great volley, one great backhand winner and I feel pretty chuffed with myself :thumbsu:

You guys free in a couple of weeks and in Melb? Get a bit of a social hit going, be interesting putting a few faces to usernames

EDIT:
Even Igloo Chris_2593?

Would be interested but on the wrong side of the world at the moment

Would be interested but on the wrong side of the world at the moment

No worries

Sounds like we've got a few together with Chris on board. :thumbsu: One of Dannn or Dewy would make it 4, nice even number

No worries

Sounds like we've got a few together with Chris on board. :thumbsu: One of Dannn or Dewy would make it 4, nice even number

You'd have to pm Dannnnnnnnnnnnnnn. He's in hardcore study mode until Thursday, and has only been checking tapatalk. Replies to pm's quick though.

OK cheers Igs :thumbsu: Might let it go for now and bring this topic back up in a week or so.

Dannnnnnnnnn
Dewy006
matt_897

EDIT:
Even Igloo Chris_2593?
Almost three months late, not a bad response rate eh? :p

Haven't played in far too long. Miss being out on a court. Really need to get back into it soon.

Almost three months late, not a bad response rate eh? :p

Haven't played in far too long. Miss being out on a court. Really need to get back into it soon.

My response time is equally impressive!

Should get a gathering going next year hopefully, too full on at the minute myself.

Anyone here played any tournaments or finished up comps recently?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back