Opinion Player trades / 'go home' factor - when does a player have a right to nominate a club or not?

Remove this Banner Ad

Just my opinion but I don't like Jack Martin being able to nominate Carlton. Suns should make a stand and send him to the team who offers the best compensation.

Feel the same about Kelly. If Fremantle have the best offer than Geelong should deal with them.

So is it whats best for the club or whats best for the player
& who decides if there is a dispute - cant trust the AFL see what they've done on player compensation, they'd love to be able to do what suits them.

Who said it doesn't affect them? Of course it affects them. But that's the price of earning great money to play a game. If they really haven't been weaned from mummy's breast yet, they can get a real job and play in the state league. Being an AFL player is a well-paid privilege, not a right.

Why do we have Free Agents they have no right its a privilege

Father and son scrap it

Acadamy picks don't need to dance around the Eastern states get rid of them its to keep them with their mummys

Set the same rules for everyone, clubs and players , survival of the fittest, stop with the mummys boys rules

Why do we have Free Agents they have no right its a privilege
Because they've served their time at a club to be able to go where they choose. That isn't entitlement, it's a reward for putting in the time.

Father and son scrap it
If you want to. I'm not getting into that one.

Acadamy picks don't need to dance around the Eastern states get rid of them its to keep them with their mummys
Northern academies have three purposes: to develop more AFL standard talent from the northern states, to partially offset the go home factor Northern clubs face when recruiting anyone from the southern states, and to develop hometown heroes like Voss to raise the profile of the game, as opposed to players like Dunstall who were pretty unknown in Queensland despite being from there. None of those are about "keeping them with their mummy's". Unfortunately we don't have plenty of top prospects from our home state like your club, so we will always face a go home risk. The academies are just a partial solution for that.

No I'm comparing the AFL the entertainment business to actual serious company's with employment contracts that restrict senior executives or technical staff moving to a direct competitor with valuable IP gained from their current employer.

Some on here are suggesting the league restrict a football players rights to move to an employer of choice because of a few spots in a draft.

A few spots in a draft that may or may not mean anything at all. In a game played for entertainment.

This is a sport we are talking about here. A sport played for fun and entertainment. People seem to be forgetting this!

You actually have no idea about restriction of trade principles.

In a normal job, you can simply resign, go home/wherever ....

Reckon its a bit rich to claim Beams &/or Hill are lying, dont think either have/are, circumstances change you need it to understand that.
Throwing their family members under the bus, REALLY?
I've previously used Tyson Stenglein as an example, drafted from WA to the Crows, played 100+ games before 'going home' - now works in Melbourne, wow, things change.
I possibly worded my previous post poorly. I absolutely get that circumstances change and don’t have a real issue with the likes of Beams/Hill/Kelly/Stenglein & whoever seeking a trade and nominating their club of choice, particularly when their contract is up.

However, I don’t understand why there is this need to leak information through management or publicly claim homesickness and then nominate a club. Are they worried about saving face?

In any other profession if you had to move from interstate because family was a priority, you most likely quit and find a new job or alternatively there is give and take with the employer but if push really comes to shove you probably quit and then make the best of it if family really does come first. AFL players claiming homesickness/family reasons and then picking and choosing clubs seems a bit like having your cake and eating it too.

Basic human rights? Don't be so melodramatic. A workplace is allowed to send people to a specific location for work. It isn't a restraint of trade as players are perfectly able to play in the VFL, SANFL or WAFL if they feel so strongly about playing in a specific location. In any case I'm suggesting they shouldn't be allowed to choose a particular team, rather than location. No laws are broken, otherwise every North American sports league would have been sued for allowing players to be traded without their agreement.

You are way off mark. Way off.

It comes down to basic human rights and fairness.

Everything in the Kelly situation is in Geelongs favor. They used a 2nd round pick to land a gun mature age mid. They didn't spend five years and 100's of thousands of dollars developing an 18 yr old. He has played two seasons on rookie wages $400k per year under his actual worth and output. Geelong will easily double the value in draft picks in any trade to what they used to land him. Win ...win...win...win.

If Geelong now acts in a unfair belligerent fashion they open themselves and the league up to be challenged legally. The AFL will not allow this not to mention the AFLPA.

Make no mistake the AFL and AFLPA will intervene and moderate if the two clubs can't agree. That pressure will go both ways at Geelong and at the Eagles.

In the end Kelly will get to where he wants to work not where Geelong thinks it can get the best possible deal.

This happens all the time. In 2011 Brad Ebert nominated Port and was easily worth a late 1st rounder. Eagles were forced to accept pick 28 and 49 and lost Ebert and pick 45. Ebert was drafted with pick 13. Where was the outcry? Eagles had to cop it sweet and move on.

I possibly worded my previous post poorly. I absolutely get that circumstances change and don’t have a real issue with the likes of Beams/Hill/Kelly/Stenglein & whoever seeking a trade and nominating their club of choice, particularly when their contract is up.

However, I don’t understand why there is this need to leak information through management or publicly claim homesickness and then nominate a club. Are they worried about saving face?

In any other profession if you had to move from interstate because family was a priority, you most likely quit and find a new job or alternatively there is give and take with the employer but if push really comes to shove you probably quit and then make the best of it if family really does come first. AFL players claiming homesickness/family reasons and then picking and choosing clubs seems a bit like having your cake and eating it too.

Is info leaked or is it a go to line for journos who then protect their source.

Basic human rights? Don't be so melodramatic. A workplace is allowed to send people to a specific location for work. It isn't a restraint of trade as players are perfectly able to play in the VFL, SANFL or WAFL if they feel so strongly about playing in a specific location. In any case I'm suggesting they shouldn't be allowed to choose a particular team, rather than location. No laws are broken, otherwise every North American sports league would have been sued for allowing players to be traded without their agreement.
A person has to agree to be sent somewhere for work, no workplace is allowed to force someone anywhere.

North American sports have agreements in their contract. Some players take less money to have a “no trade clause” put in their contract. The players that do get traded are getting paid millions of dollars and are aware it’s a possibility. They also know once their contract is up they are free to sign anywhere they want.

AFL players aren’t free to sign anywhere, if the AFL wants trading without consent, then they must give every out of contract player free agency.

This is a completely invalid comparison. Different clubs aren't analogous to different companies, they're all franchises of the same organisation. It's no different to a company with offices in multiple locations telling an employee which one to work at until they've served a certain number of years. In the real world if you refuse to move when your job moves, you get sacked and have to look for another company (or in this case, another football league).

Different clubs offer players different contracts. That’s completely different to working for a company with offices in different locations. People/players are allowed to get the best wage for themselves l

Different clubs offer players different contracts. That’s completely different to working for a company with offices in different locations. People/players are allowed to get the best wage for themselves l

Who do you work for? Talent, results dont count, find a new job quick.

A person has to agree to be sent somewhere for work, no workplace is allowed to force someone anywhere.

North American sports have agreements in their contract. Some players take less money to have a “no trade clause” put in their contract. The players that do get traded are getting paid millions of dollars and are aware it’s a possibility. They also know once their contract is up they are free to sign anywhere they want.

AFL players aren’t free to sign anywhere, if the AFL wants trading without consent, then they must give every out of contract player free agency.

This is the big one that the AFL havent been tested on

You would think their draft and trading system flys in the face of Fair work australia

But the clubs are the ones that need to test it, but technically the clubs are the ones that have set it up that way, considering they vote on the AFL commissions board members so effectively control the AFL

Posters are right if someone wants to work in the AFL they need to accept the parameters that are set, its the clubs themselves that could question those parameters but simply wont

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only ufas actually have a right to nominate a club.

They jusy have the right to not agree to a trade they don't like.

Clubs are under no obligation to trade any player.

I wouldnt mind giving clubs the right to trade a contracted player to the club of their choice if the player is over a certain wage.

Pretty much every other sport and industry get Zero for an out of contract player.

Geraldo and his crew just give there bias opinion
Last year he was steadfast on keeping players to there contracts to fit his t kelly narrative
Now he’s steadfast on letting them go can’t have players who don’t want to be there to fit his anti freo narrative
I’ve finally come to terms that the media are just bias opinions not like days by when you didn’t know who presenters journalist barrack for

Pretty much every other sport and industry get Zero for an out of contract player.

And this is what sets the AFL apart from nearly all other sports in Australia.

Athletes in other sports have freedom to move and negotiate deals with anyone they chose. They are in no way restrained to seek another employer who offers them the best conditions when they fall out of contract. The AFL system can and does.

In the not so distant future this is where the AFL will end up. It may take a court challenge or we may just gradually evolve into UFA for all when out of contract.

You are way off mark. Way off.

It comes down to basic human rights and fairness.

Everything in the Kelly situation is in Geelongs favor. They used a 2nd round pick to land a gun mature age mid. They didn't spend five years and 100's of thousands of dollars developing an 18 yr old. He has played two seasons on rookie wages $400k per year under his actual worth and output. Geelong will easily double the value in draft picks in any trade to what they used to land him. Win ...win...win...win.

If Geelong now acts in a unfair belligerent fashion they open themselves and the league up to be challenged legally. The AFL will not allow this not to mention the AFLPA.

Make no mistake the AFL and AFLPA will intervene and moderate if the two clubs can't agree. That pressure will go both ways at Geelong and at the Eagles.

In the end Kelly will get to where he wants to work not where Geelong thinks it can get the best possible deal.

This happens all the time. In 2011 Brad Ebert nominated Port and was easily worth a late 1st rounder. Eagles were forced to accept pick 28 and 49 and lost Ebert and pick 45. Ebert was drafted with pick 13. Where was the outcry? Eagles had to cop it sweet and move on.

So True, Add in Judd as well even though you got the best deal you could have. West Coast have always been adequate with players leaving and getting them to where they need to go.

Just about every club around the league has managed to lure a big name player to their club over the past 5-10 years.

Is this really such a big deal ???

North? St Kilda?

(by "big name", I'm assuming you mean a top 20 player)

Riewoldt came across as a bit of a knob advocating Geelong to stay firm and get what is best for the club. Bit rich for a club that has acquired Dangerfield and Ablett through Go home factor. Yet these stooges want to play hard ball on Kelly going back to Perth and selecting west coast as his preferred.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

North? St Kilda?

(by "big name", I'm assuming you mean a top 20 player)

You came very close to getting Gaff last year.

This is not an issue, if your club gets its off field stuff right, Jake Carlisle rejected Carlton for St Kilda when he left Essendon, so it's not like Smaller clubs always miss out to the bigger clubs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back