Sep 13, 2011
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Raiders, Brumbies
5: Dal Pos: lead the tackle count, top three for disposals. Liked her game
4: Collier: My girl, showed poise in tight places
3: Lawton: got better and better throughout the game.
2: Barr: can see why she went no.1
1: Bibby: was really surprised and pleased with her transition from basketball. Real asset going forward.

Hon mentions: Farugia, Tully, Tompkins and McWilliams

I'm not gonna vote becuase I've got L plates on for the AFLW team and am still figuring out who's doing what. Let alone whose doing it well.
I did think Jessica Dal Pos was the standout. Dont have to understand too much about roles to know the player running, chasing, tackling her heart out, and burrowing into packs to extract the ball, did her job well.

5: Collier. She was so tough and won a lot of hard ball for us. Such a star

4: Farrugia. I thought she lead well and was involved in some good passages of play

3: tomkins. I felt like she fought very well in defence

2: Lawton. Showed strong physicality and I enjoyed her game

1: Barr. Played well and was very clean with her disposal

HM: dal pos should've gotten votes from me but I had to applaud what I saw from tomkins and Lt Lawton

Having now watched the replay I'd love to watch the game with commentators who were calling our grrlz by the correct names so I could properly assess who should get our votes:

5 - Dal Pos
4 - Collier
3 - Farrugia
2 - Tomkins (Riff represent)
1 - McWilliams - she deserves a point for making history

Very unlucky - Barr, Beeson and Lawton

Really, all our grrlz gave it a red hot go against a better skilled opposition. If we play more like our fourth quarter (yes, including the scrap) we will surprise an awful lot more of the comp. Will be interesting to see how we improve with Swanson playing.

I too was a little unsure that I got the names right consistently, between unfamiliarity with the players & commentators' misidentification, but ...

5 - Jess Dal Pos: the absolute standout for GWS for mine; was very busy, good game sense, had plenty of possessions & pressured really well, tackled hard & clean
4 - Maddy Collier: lots of enthusiasm, good game sense & had some good possessions (offset by a few errors); will be a star in the future
3 - Nicola Barr: very busy throughout, looked very good at times & will be a future star
2 - Britt Tully: perhaps a little biased because I'm her advocate, but thought she did a lot of hard in & under work; skills can improve but did get to the contest a lot
1 - Jacinda Barclay: thought she had a pretty good game up front (just let down by her goalkicking) but positioning and game sense were pretty good

McWilliams, Bibby & Lt Lawton had some good periods and were best of the rest.

Round 2 votes

5: tomkins - stopped so many i50 passes was on fire!

4: Swanson - racked up a lot of ball and was influential

3: Farrugia - laid a ferocious 9 tackles. Lead by example

2: Barclay - big loss for next game. She is probably our toughest player

1: Guest - strong display and racked up the ball as well as laying some strong tackles

Round 2 for me;

5 Farrugia, she covered more of the ground than grass and was in everything -NINE tackles
4 Tomkins, made a big difference down back
3 Swanson, showed why we missed her in the first two games
2 Barclay, absolutely love her aggression, but she has some skills to compliment it, those two tackles were team lifting
1 Guest, plenty of it and targeted the bad guys when they had it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back