Player who everyone rates, but you don't

Remove this Banner Ad

mike91

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 13, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Players who are always talked up, but in reality are just ok/average players.

- Jack Ziebell
Alright forward, s**t midfielder

- Taylor Walker
Been saying for years this clown is overrated, now people are starting to see it

- Nic Nat
We all know why

- Jack Silvagni
Like Daniel Rioli, overhyped because of their surname

- Daniel Rich
Lazy, lazy, lazy. One good year, that's all.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I wouldn't go as far to say I don't rate him or that he's average, but S Hill. I think he's a good player in ability, but not in output, so I'm not sure where that falls on the spectrum. Too placid and nice.

Sandilands. Prolific but not high quality. Was one of the best back when ruckman began to be expected to run like smalls, but that was a long time ago.

Chris Judd. Overrated. People carried on as if he played like that breakout Brisbane game his entire career. Loved seeing players get into his head. Dirty sniper and his mrs is repulsive.

Western Bradburys Premiers 2016. Jagged a flag. Didn't change the game like people were making out.

Dustin Martin in his own category. Neck tattoo, handcuff signs, biker dad, chopsticks, no doubt there's some class A drug stuff I've forgotten about too. Overhyped as a human being quite frankly.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

- Rance
No doubt an A-grade fullback, but the best of all time? Please.

- Joel Selwood
A good, above average midfielder. Nothing more. All Australian last year? Seriously?

- Dylan Shiel
Looked like he was going to be an absolute star but really hasn't taken off in my opinion. Flashy but not consistent.

- Nic Nat
Top bloke, but definetly not that good.

I tend to lean more towards players I feel are overrated. Especially in the media. They influence the Rising Stars, AA, and other awards. This is ultimately what players legacies are based on.

- Rance
No doubt an A-grade fullback, but the best of all time? Please.

- Joel Selwood
A good, above average midfielder. Nothing more. All Australian last year? Seriously?

- Dylan Shiel
Looked like he was going to be an absolute star but really hasn't taken off in my opinion. Flashy but not consistent.

- Nic Nat
Top bloke, but definetly not that good.

I tend to lean more towards players I feel are overrated. Especially in the media. They influence the Rising Stars, AA, and other awards. This is ultimately what players legacies are based on.

Totally agree with all of that but would add Jack Darling. After all of the ducking, diving, squibbing and totally going missing in games he still seems to have a legion of supporters who rate him highly.

In the Big Bash it's Ben Cutting and Brad Hodge, easily the most overrated cricketers going around atm.

Last edited:
Players who are always talked up, but in reality are just ok/average players.

- Taylor Walker
Been saying for years this clown is overrated, now people are starting to see it

- Jack Silvagni
Like Daniel Rioli, overhyped because of their surname

You dont kick 160 goals in 3 seasons being an ok/average player!

Jack Silvagni is nothing like Rioli. Jack would struggle to get a VFL game if his last name was Bracegirdle!

You dont kick 160 goals in 3 seasons being an ok/average player!

Jack Silvagni is nothing like Rioli. Jack would struggle to get a VFL game if his last name was Bracegirdle!
How many of those goals are in big games? How many against good teams? Walker isn't remotely as good as the media make him out to be. He's useless in big games and an absolute flog within the club.

I think most forwards are rated higher than they actually are - some are only considered great because of the benefit they get from a quality midfield and the output to the goal tally that brings. Goal output doesn't always equal quality. And on that note, I don't rate a lot of the key forwards that a lot of posters fap over (Walker, Hawkins etc. - even Kennedy)

Forwards like Pav & Fevola who were kicking goals when their respective teams/midfield/delivery was s**t are underrated generally imo - Fev won a Coleman in a spoon year for Carlton ffs and 99 when they finished 2nd bottom

It's easier to kick goals when you're the only target. Both Pav and Fevola benefited a lot from the fact that they were the lone good player in an otherwise terrible forward line.

Walker isn't Adelaide's main focal point. He is ranked #1 in the AFL for goal assists and sixth for goals, and 4th in the AFL for total score involvements. D. Martin, Franklin, and Dangerfield are top 3. Pretty fair company.

How many of those goals are in big games? How many against good teams? Walker isn't remotely as good as the media make him out to be. He's useless in big games and an absolute flog within the club.

Yeah I guess i got caught up to much in the "ok/average" player, which he is a very long way from!

"Useless in big games" is a stretched out load of s**t and I dont care what kind of person he is!

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I guess i got caught up to much in the "ok/average" player, which he is a very long way from!

"Useless in big games" is a stretched out load of s**t and I dont care what kind of person he is!
Besides for one good final game against an inexperienced Silvagni, what has he done in big games?

Mike, whats the point of that question, you know very well nothing I say will change your opinion!

Its ok to over exaggerate to express your opinion, just don't jump on the attack when someone calls it s**t!

Last edited:
Michael Voss, very good footballer, but not the superstar he was made out to be. Was a great captain.
Andrew Brayshaw, but I hope I am proven wrong.
Ben Reid, was selected AA instead of McPharlin, who was robbed. I’d rather have Sam than Ben Reid.
Travis Boak, just an average player & not a star.
Daniel Hanneberry, good, but not great
Shannon Hurn, long kick. That’s it

Mike, whats the point of that question, you know very well nothing I say will change your opinion!

Its ok to over exaggerate to express your opinion, just don't jump on the attack when someone calls it s**t!
When did I attack you? Over exaggerate, I mean you quote me, mock my opinion, then get defensive and I'm attacking you?

Michael Voss, very good footballer, but not the superstar he was made out to be. Was a great captain.
Andrew Brayshaw, but I hope I am proven wrong.
Ben Reid, was selected AA instead of McPharlin, who was robbed. I’d rather have Sam than Ben Reid.
Travis Boak, just an average player & not a star.
Daniel Hanneberry, good, but not great
Shannon Hurn, long kick. That’s it
I agree with Boak. Never seen 'it' with him. Nothing special.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back