Player X v Y v Z

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keg on legs

Cancelled
10k Posts St Kilda - Doulton Langlands Player Sponsor 2020 St Kilda - Robbie Young Player Sponsor 2019 St Kilda - Nathan Freeman Player Sponsor 2017
Oct 5, 2014
The beer fridge
AFL Club
St Kilda
Dusty, titch, Josh Kelly and piggy jnr

Pick 3

You've been peeking at my team haven't you! :)
duck.jpg

Jake Lloyd vs Luke McDonald
Going purely by stats, I would pick Lloyd, however Two Dogs is still improving and is a better player further up the field in midfield than he was in defnce, I'm not sure how much improvement Lloyd has left in him, that is a question for Swans fans.

Lmc has better scope for improvement.

Question is will he?
2017 was his first year in the midfield and has gotten even stronger in the off-season (similiar build and strength to Hodge), playing on the wing in a fairly average 2017 North outfit. There's no reason to think he won't improve on his 2017 numbers provided he stays in the midfield.

I actually almost went him last year thinking he was right in the wheelhouse to break out. Dodged that bullet. I wonder if he just might never be any better than he is now.

Laird, Garlett and Greene/ heeney

Vs

Witherden, Pendles and Venables ?
L Mac still had a good 2017 averaging 21 disposals on the wing, sit and wait for him at this stage if anyone is looking at him. JLT will be a solid indicator for him.

Witherden/Lycett or Mitch Hibberd/Jacobs?
On Hibberd, a few notes from myself and RobZombie (one of the most knowledgeable on North's list and regularly watches VFL and training):

My comments:
Hibberd has to battle guys like Clarke, EVW, Josh Williams, a returning Wright (whose 2015 season stats just shadowed Easton Wood's in a similar role) and Morgan (the guy that joined from Essendon) for the last HB spot. North has a truck load of general defender and HB types atm, which doesn't help Hibberd.

He does however, have a few things going for him. The coaches love him, popular with the supporter base, a proven accumulator at VFL level, one of the fittest at the club, a good size and works hard.

Wright is no guarantee to return being out for nearly two years, Clarke isn't as strong a defender as Hibberd (with Clarke being a natural mid, but is playing back due to his workrate, meters gained and he's an accumulator as well) and Morgan is coming from a long way back, however, he has impressed during match simulations with his class and pace. Josh Williams is a darkhorse for this position, due to his impressive debut against Essendon (first kick, first goal), his sheer pace and class (something Atley has never become at HB), although he is fairly raw and skinny, but at 189cm with his pace and class, he'll definitely get games in 2018. Ed Vickers-Willis (Two Dads) is an interesting one, the club would probably give him an automatic bench spot at least due to his lockdown abilities, has high intelligence, averaged 14 disposals as a lockdown HB type in his first year (which is solid enough in a fairly s**t 2017 North side) and rarely concedes goals.

RZ:
Dunno. Given that they’re likely moving Clarke back, he’s competing with him, EVW and maybe Macmillan for a spot. He can go up to the wing as a Gibson-style run-all-day accumulator and competing with Hartung for that role. Marley and Wrighty both need to come back from injury too, which is more competition for general defender spots. I think Atley plays forward this year and ideally Macmillan on the wing, while McDonald will likely be an almost full-time mid/winger.

I like him. He’s taken a couple of games to adjust every time he’s gone up a level and was looking decent when he got injured last year. He’s got a natural tendency to accumulate that will serve him well at his starting price.

There’s a few with good records of being well connected on the North board who say the club thinks very highly of him. Surely he plays a fair bit of senior footy this year.

My own final summation:
Sit and wait, watch the JLT and if he is racking up the pill and has improved his disposal a bit during the off-season, then he should be in for a few games in 2018, not sure how regular though as there are other candidates, a few of whom are quicker and classier, but don't get the pill as much.

On Hibberd, a few notes from myself and RobZombie (one of the most knowledgeable on North's list and regularly watches VFL and training):

My comments:
Hibberd has to battle guys like Clarke, EVW, Josh Williams, a returning Wright (whose 2015 season stats just shadowed Easton Wood's in a similar role) and Morgan (the guy that joined from Essendon) for the last HB spot. North has a truck load of general defender and HB types atm, which doesn't help Hibberd.

He does however, have a few things going for him. The coaches love him, popular with the supporter base, a proven accumulator at VFL level, one of the fittest at the club, a good size and works hard.

Wright is no guarantee to return being out for nearly two years, Clarke isn't as strong a defender as Hibberd (with Clarke being a natural mid, but is playing back due to his workrate, meters gained and he's an accumulator as well) and Morgan is coming from a long way back, however, he has impressed during match simulations with his class and pace. Josh Williams is a darkhorse for this position, due to his impressive debut against Essendon (first kick, first goal), his sheer pace and class (something Atley has never become at HB), although he is fairly raw and skinny, but at 189cm with his pace and class, he'll definitely get games in 2018. Ed Vickers-Willis (Two Dads) is an interesting one, the club would probably give him an automatic bench spot at least due to his lockdown abilities, has high intelligence, averaged 14 disposals as a lockdown HB type in his first year (which is solid enough in a fairly s**t 2017 North side) and rarely concedes goals.

RZ:
Dunno. Given that they’re likely moving Clarke back, he’s competing with him, EVW and maybe Macmillan for a spot. He can go up to the wing as a Gibson-style run-all-day accumulator and competing with Hartung for that role. Marley and Wrighty both need to come back from injury too, which is more competition for general defender spots. I think Atley plays forward this year and ideally Macmillan on the wing, while McDonald will likely be an almost full-time mid/winger.

I like him. He’s taken a couple of games to adjust every time he’s gone up a level and was looking decent when he got injured last year. He’s got a natural tendency to accumulate that will serve him well at his starting price.

There’s a few with good records of being well connected on the North board who say the club thinks very highly of him. Surely he plays a fair bit of senior footy this year.

My own final summation:
Sit and wait, watch the JLT and if he is racking up the pill and has improved his disposal a bit during the off-season, then he should be in for a few games in 2018, not sure how regular though as there are other candidates, a few of whom are quicker and classier, but don't get the pill as much.
Hibberd’s shoulder is a major worry imo. Lochie O’Brien should play a few games being a top 10 Pick & Carlscum rebuilding. O’Shea I think isn’t best 22, turns it over too much.

Hibberd’s shoulder is a major worry imo. Lochie O’Brien should play a few games being a top 10 Pick & Carlscum rebuilding. O’Shea I think isn’t best 22, turns it over too much.
Hibberd is 100% right to go atm, the major injury worries at North are guys like Wright, Watson, Jacobs, Garner (hamstrings made of teflon, is right to go, but club is conservative at this stage), Anderson and of course Waite (he finds ways to get injured).

Guys like Hibberd, Williams, Durdin, EVW and Nielson are all right to go at this point. Also, Ahern is already penciled in for the round one side according to a trusted inner sanctum poster, coming off half-back with good foot use and decent pace.

If Hibberd is still cheap, you could have worse bench options.

LDU is going to kill my rookies/premo strategy this year.

Hibberd is 100% right to go atm, the major injury worries at North are guys like Wright, Watson, Jacobs, Garner (hamstrings made of teflon, is right to go, but club is conservative at this stage), Anderson and of course Waite (he finds ways to get injured).

Guys like Hibberd, Williams, Durdin, EVW and Nielson are all right to go at this point.

If Hibberd is still cheap, you could have worse bench options.

LDU is going to kill my rookies/premo strategy this year.
Very nice. I rate the kid fwiw. Just think O’Brien will be the safer pick. Can run all day, laser left foot etc

Very nice. I rate the kid fwiw. Just think O’Brien will be the safer pick. Can run all day, laser left foot etc
I was interested in O'Brien pre-draft for North's second pick, so I'll definitely keep an eye on O'Brien, definitely the safer option atm, North just has too many general defenders and HB/Winger types atm for the rookies to get a decent look in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back