News Players and coaches to vote on captaincy

Remove this Banner Ad

I figured this was worth its own thread, given how big a change this could end up being.

From The Age:
St Kilda are weighing up whether it's time for a change in captaincy while giving skipper Nick Riewoldt an extended post-season break after an emotionally draining year.

Riewoldt remains one of the game's finest leaders, and a champion player, but coach Alan Richardson said the Saints captaincy would be put to a vote.

"As we do every year, we will get the playing and coaching group together and discuss what standards and traits we want in a St Kilda captain and there will be a vote," Richardson said on Wednesday.

"Nick has obviously been an incredible leader for many years and he may continue in the role next year if that's what is best for both him and the club. There has not been any decision made either way."

Riewoldt has said in recent seasons he is open to ceding the captaincy should it be in the best interest of all parties, but the defection of Brendon Goddard to Essendon, Nick Dal Santo to North Melbourne and the retirement of Lenny Hayes had left a dearth of leadership candidates in the rebuilding club.

However, the strong leadership of Jarryn Geary and the emergence of David Armitage, both of whom had a taste of the top job this year in Riewoldt's absence, has given Richardson, his fellow coaches and club executives something to seriously ponder.

The clean-cut Armitage enjoyed the extra responsibility and has become a prominent face of the club, appearing on The Footy Show in a sign club bosses are comfortable in his maturity to handle the added spotlight.

The Saints had a seven-man leadership group this year, also featuring Leigh Montagna, Sean Dempster, youngsters Mav Weller and Jack Newnes, along with Geary, Armitage and Riewoldt.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...incy-to-be-put-to-a-vote-20151007-gk3c73.html

So what do we in the stands all think? Is it the right time for a change or do we want to see Riewoldt carry on? Who replaces him? Do we go back to co-captains with a view to the future or do we let Geary or Armitage take the reins on their own?

I think it's time for a change, personally. Roo has no doubt been absolutely fantastic for the club, but I wonder if he could perhaps enjoy his last few seasons without the potential burden of the captaincy.

As to who replaces him, it becomes a bit more clouded. I think if the change were to happen this year it would have to be for one or both of Armitage and Geary, at last for this year, until some of our younger leaders may be ready to step up (e.g. Newnes, Weller, Dunstan).

I think it's time for a change, personally. Roo has no doubt been absolutely fantastic for the club, but I wonder if he could perhaps enjoy his last few seasons without the potential burden of the captaincy.

I think I remember reading he would become the record holder for longest serving captain in the afl of all time if he does it again next year but I cant find any stats to back that up.

That said, seeing the burden it entails from the chosen few documentary it might be time for him to hand the reins over and enjoy his final year (or two) of playing without the overhead.

The only real candidates in my opinion are Armo and Geary. No one else seems to fill the leadership role and be in the correct experience bracket. Logic would say a dual captaincy but Im not really sure if It works that well.

I think I remember reading he would become the record holder for longest serving captain in the afl of all time if he does it again next year but I cant find any stats to back that up.

That said, seeing the burden it entails from the chosen few documentary it might be time for him to hand the reins over and enjoy his final year (or two) of playing without the overhead.

The only real candidates in my opinion are Armo and Geary. No one else seems to fill the leadership role and be in the correct experience bracket. Logic would say a dual captaincy but Im not really sure if It works that well.

Fair point about the record, I guess maybe it would be nice to see him get that, but I don't think it will really come into consideration.

This player vote thing is not new they've been doing it at least as far back as the Watters era. At first I thought a change over was essential but I just can't see Nick not being captain now. He's grown even more in terms of his standing and no one even gets close. I don't know how you could play at St kilda and hang out with those blokes everyday and vote Nick out as captain, despite the obvious merits the idea has.

I don't think he will pass Kernahans record. He has something like 260 games as captain where as Roo only has about 210 or there abouts. Would need a few more seasons as skipper.

He would however be the longest serving Saint captain if he goes on next season. I think Spud Frawley is a couple games in front of him at present? Again just going off memory, could well be wrong.

I’d say keep him as the captain. He’s such a commanding presence and has so much respect that I think it would be hard someone else taking it on whilst he is still there unless he comes out and says he’s done and wants to someone else to take it on.

Hopefully he still has 2 years left in him, captains the club next year and transitions it over in 2017.

Has already gone past Spud AFLOnline

Id like to go back to rotating captains again. It helps accelerate the middle tier of leadership and takes nothing away from the obvious leaders.

2016 - Armo
2017 - Steven
2018 - Longer
2019 - Newnes
2020 - Dunstan
2021 - Sheil

;)

Has already gone past Spud AFLOnline

Id like to go back to rotating captains again. It helps accelerate the middle tier of leadership and takes nothing away from the obvious leaders.

2016 - Armo
2017 - Steven
2018 - Longer
2019 - Newnes
2020 - Dunstan
2021 - Sheil

;)
I think this is a good idea. Great way to develop the leadership from within the club. Geary could do it next tear followed by Armo. I don't know if Gears will get forced out of our side in a few years.

I don't think Steven will/should ever be captain

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep keep him on. Never weighed him down before, don't see why it would now. Any else watch that chosen few doco? He was by far the most impressive captain on it.

I'm not against Armo or Geary getting a go but really they would be placeholders for our next long term captain.

He would however be the longest serving Saint captain if he goes on next season. I think Spud Frawley is a couple games in front of him at present? Again just going off memory, could well be wrong.
He passed spud earlier this year so already longest serving Saints captain by about 12 games or so now.

Pls not geary
Pls not geary
Why not? Geary has very high leadership qualities, is intelligent and is well liked and respected around the club and has the experience to back it up.

He passed spud earlier this year so already longest serving Saints captain by about 12 games or so now.

Why not? Geary has very high leadership qualities, is intelligent and is well liked and respected around the club and has the experience to back it up.
I just don't think he's a best 22 player

Naming Geary captain could leave us in the same awkward situation that Brisbane are in with Jed Adcock. I think he's currently best 22, but will he be in 2017?

If it was up to me, I'd keep Riewoldt on as captain. The Chosen Few doco on 7 during grand final week just proved yet again what a champion he is, and that he's 100% the right person for the job. I'd like to see some of our leadership group step up even more, though. Maybe have Armo and Newnes as defacto vice captains and really start to pick up some of the weight.

Should Riewoldt move along, I'd go with rotating co-captains. Year by year rotations just seems like too long a time frame, but game by game makes sense to me. When Rooey was wasn't available at the start of the year, I'm pretty sure the players voted each week for who out of the leadership group should be captain for that round. That might get tedious if it goes on all year but it could work. I'd probably go with two or three co-captains, and let the next long term captain naturally rise to the top like Rooey did all of those years ago.

Riewoldt is an outstanding leader. Why would you consider taking that role from him ? The time will come (unfortunately) when he retires and then you look for someone else.

Riewoldt is an outstanding leader. Why would you consider taking that role from him ? The time will come (unfortunately) when he retires and then you look for someone else.
Transition phase.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back