Opinion Players and Coaches - Where do they stand?

Remove this Banner Ad

kylegee28

Club Legend
Mar 31, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
With the season coming to an end (thankfully), I think it's time to have a look where all of our players and coaches stand going into the 2016 season (rather than solely focusing on Leppa). Do you think their time is up? Do you think they've done a great job? Do you think they're trade bait?

Coaches

Justin Leppitsch - Senior Coach

Gary O'Donnell - Offensive Strategy Coach

Murray Davis - Defensive Strategy Coach

Danny Daly - Stoppage Strategy Coach

Matthew Francis - Skill Development Manager

Simon Black - Contest Skill/Midfield Coach

Mitch Hahn - Defensive Skills/Backline Coach

Ben Hudson - Defensive Skills/Ruck and Forwards Coach

Shane Woewodin - Offensive Skills/NEAFL Coach

Leigh Harding - Offensive Skills/NEAFL Assistant Coach

Fitness Staff

Brett Burton - Elite Performance Manager (Football & Physical Performance)

Matt Hass - Physical Performance Coordinator

Senior Players

Luke McGuane
Ryan Harwood
Allen Christensen
James Aish
Mitch Robinson
Josh Green
Jed Adcock
Rohan Bewick
Dayne Beams
Daniel Rich
Pearce Hanley
Stefan Martin
Trent West
Brent Staker
Dayne Zorko
Claye Beams
Nick Robertson
Josh Clayton
Josh Watts
Daniel Merrett
Marco Paparone
Matthew Leuenberger
Liam Dawson
Daniel McStay
Tom Cutler
Darcy Gardiner
Lewis Taylor
Jaden McGrath
Jack Redden
Harris Andrews
Sam Mayes
Michael Close
Jonathan Freeman
Ryan Lester
Matt Maguire - Retired
Tom Rockliff
Jackson Paine
Mitch Golby
Justin Clarke
Josh McGuinness

Rookie Players

Cian Hanley
Matt Hammelmann
Archie Smith
Jordon Bourke
Billy Evans
Zac O'Brien
Hugh Beasley

P.S Apologies if I've left anyone out

P.P.S Mods feel free to move or delete this thread if needs be.

Last edited:
Only doing players:

those in red need to go IMO

Luke McGuane
Ryan Harwood
Allen Christensen
James Aish
Mitch Robinson
Josh Green
Jed Adcock
Rohan Bewick
Dayne Beams
Daniel Rich
Pearce Hanley
Stefan Martin
Trent West
Brent Staker
Dayne Zorko
Claye Beams
Nick Robertson
Josh Clayton
Josh Watts
Daniel Merrett
Marco Paparone
Matthew Leuenberger
Liam Dawson
Daniel McStay
Tom Cutler
Darcy Gardiner
Lewis Taylor
Jaden McGrath
Jack Redden
Harris Andrews
Sam Mayes
Michael Close
Jonathan Freeman
Ryan Lester
Matt Maguire
Tom Rockliff
Jackson Paine
Mitch Golby
Justin Clarke
Josh McGuinness

Cian Hanley
Matt Hammelmann
Archie Smith
Jordon Bourke
Billy Evans
Zac O'Brien
Hugh Beasley

I think we shouldn't cut anyone over 6 foot. Lol

Looking over those assistants it looks pretty thin. Not sure who
Goes, but we need a couple of heavy hitters in there.

I've honestly gotten to the point where I feel he is doing more damage than good, even when taking his leadership into account

I've found it hard to single out many regular best 22 players this season. I think there's more upside keeping Jed given the lack of experience and leadership. I count him as being in our best 22.

I think it's worth keeping adcock even if he just plays reserves and is there to play Senior games when injuries hit. Our reserves have been rubbish this year so it would be good to have an experienced head there both to improve the results and to teach the kids professional etc.

Look at melbiurne they ditched everyone over the age of 28 practically and heir kids had no one to learn from and were a lost generation. Roos has quickly replaced that lost experience With cross, vince, lamumba and others. Gws did it too with power, cornes, brogan et al.

A few years ago collingwood were regularly playing 1000 games of afl experience in the reserves with Didak, jolly, and a few others, and before that had done similar with josh Fraser and a couple of others.

I can't see Adcock being at the club next season. I can see him utilising his FA rights to go to another club. If Berger leaves West stays. Think I'd keep McGuane another year as I think he hasn't been given a chance yet because of injuries but looks to have overcome those so hopefully he can stay fit and finish the preseason... Staker to go though he looks cooked and offers nothing considering he is fit enough to play.

Leppa to go as well and bring in Rattan who has learned a lot under Clarkson. He played a hard fast game when coaching Carlton abd made the finals a few years with a lack of KPP which is what we have now.

I can't see Adcock being at the club next season. I can see him utilising his FA rights to go to another club. If Berger leaves West stays. Think I'd keep McGuane another year as I think he hasn't been given a chance yet because of injuries but looks to have overcome those so hopefully he can stay fit and finish the preseason... Staker to go though he looks cooked and offers nothing considering he is fit enough to play.

Leppa to go as well and bring in Rattan who has learned a lot under Clarkson. He played a hard fast game when coaching Carlton abd made the finals a few years with a lack of KPP which is what we have now.

Agree with the first paragraph except for Staker. He has essentially come off 2 knee recos back to back and is rusty. Each week he has been better and better and just needs to kick striaght.

Disagree with the second one.

Leppa needs to be given time to get the team to gel. Nowadays we are too quick too want results and players to excel straight away. Time is what is needed and time will allow us to do what we want. Injuries have killed usthis year and from the start we all said our top 26 players are fantastic get below that and we are going to struggle.

Well we did and look whats happened!

The problem with off loading players to get kids in.. Will they stay :(

We have had a lot of injures? I would be looking to see why is it the training or all just bad luck?
I feel sorry for Trent West did a knee. I like him to stay around next year.
Add that too the young kids we not sure of yet injured. Close and Freeman.
Then the always injured top up players Paine, McGuane and Staker will they ever come good or do you cut them.

There are a lot of players on the list that even when not injured struggle to be consistent in 2015
Rich, Harwood, Bewick, Redden, Mayes, Lester, C Beams.
Then I feel for big burger.. he will be better to go elsewhere for his own sake, great ruckman although if Martin is fit we know what happens to him.
I keep Adcock.
I also see if we can get a couple or recently retired guys into our 2nd's side only. Non ex-Lions would be great pay then good $'s for some experienced older players just to run around the seconds.. If our reserves getting done by 100 points each week those learning are just learning how to loose.
You wonder why the young kids just let things slide in our last quaters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lol - not quite accurate with that one. He took them to the finals in 2009, when a little known KPP by the name of Fevola kicked 89 goals. That's like saying Brisbane made the finals in 2009 without a KPP when we actually had Brown!

I think a mass clean out in the coaching and fitness staff is needed. I'd be keeping Adcock if he wants to stay. Even if he isn't making the top team his experience and leadership in the 2's would be invaluable. We need to keep the list turn over to a minimum this year.

A lot of people have a crack at Burton and his team but there has been a few success stories.

Leuey, Martin and Bundy have managed to get through the whole season (fingers crossed) for the first time in quite a while.

Lol - not quite accurate with that one. He took them to the finals in 2009, when a little known KPP by the name of Fevola kicked 89 goals. That's like saying Brisbane made the finals in 2009 without a KPP when we actually had Brown!
IIRC he made finals every year except his last season. Also Fev and Jamieson were there only real KPPs and to win an elimination final with just those two is impressive. We made finals in 2009 when Brown and Bradshaw both kicked over 140 combined and we still only just beat them in the final. Rattan in hindsight now looks like actually a decent coach when you look at the list he had at his disposal... It was rubbish with only 5-6 decent players.

Carlton came 7th in 2009 with Fev, and they came 8th in 2010 and 5th in 2011 without him and 10th in 2012 with all their injuries .Pretty sure they were struggling to have a quality tall in those latter years.
From memory it was their smalls ( amigos) like Betts , Garland and whats his name running around the wing forward areas.

I would not be outraged if Rattan came in at seasons end one bit, but due to the injury list this year and the fact that Leppa is contracted till the end of 2016, probably wiser to reassess mid season next year.
If we still stinking it up in the first half of next season you would have to send him off at the midway stage, cut your losses.

But if Rattan wants to come here at this seasons end and we are still not showing any improvement by then, well that's a different story , Come on down.

A lot of people have a crack at Burton and his team but there has been a few success stories.

Leuey, Martin and Bundy have managed to get through the whole season (fingers crossed) for the first time in quite a while.

Was that really him?? It is obvious that we just aren't fit enough. Time for a change.

Brisbane Lions Players and Coaches. Where do they stand? Do they stand at all? Let's find out (here's hoping there's some BoJack Horseman fans out there...)

Reckon Leppa gets a pass from the board this year mainly due to injuries this season but whether its mental or physical, this year just looks so much more unpolished than last year. Simple skill errors and a lack of confidence - who do you really point the finger at for that? Yes I know, young team and all but look at the Saints and Bulldogs - equally as young but showing more promise.

Everyone should be on notice, particularly the senior players to step up - Rich (bit harsh coming back from an ACL and probably carrying an injury), Staker and Adcock have not shown the same spirit and polish as years gone by.

Loving the off season pick ups though - Christensen, Robbo and DBeams have carried us a lot this season. Robbo was a huge surprise for me, I wasn't overly happy with the trade at the start of the season but man has he proved me wrong.

As for trade bait - one of our three ruckmen will be squeezed out you think. Leuey, not really trade bait as a free agent though, is the most likely to go. I don't want him to but he really thrives as the main ruck option potentially at another ruck starved club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back