ATP Players Capable of Winning Slams

Remove this Banner Ad

I'll start with one perhaps slightly controversial one: Lorenzo Musetti. The guy looked unbelievable against Djokovic at the fourth round of this years French until his body crumbled. His power and confidence in his strokes really impressed me, and I thought at the time this guy is a lock to claim a French Open title down the track. Only 19 years of age so has plenty of time to strengthen his body. Anyone care to comment on this call, and then make one of their own?

Fire away!
Okay not sure if this seems closer or further away after today. Blew a 2:0 lead over Tsitsipas. Has the talent to win a French but his mental toughness and fitness are huge issues.

Sharpo has had a poor year. Losing first round at the French is nasty bad

Clay doesn’t really suit him much. Wait for him on the grass and hard courts.

Sharpo has had a poor year. Losing first round at the French is nasty bad
That was a disgusting match, Rune did so little to actually beat him, Shapo just sprayed errors off basic rally balls. Now for Rune to continue the tradition of young guys I don't rate and be top 10 within 2 years.

Alcaraz will win a slam before the year is out
Alcaraz will be a Grand Slam winner in six days and I'll tell you why.

In simple terms, it's because I'm predicting it. And that's all you need to know.

Seriously, though, I think back to a conversation I had with a bloke in about February 2005. Back then, it was all about Federer. He won his first Grand Slam at Wimbledon in 2003 and by the start of 2005 he had increased his record to four Grand Slams.

The bloke I was chatting to claimed no one will dethrone Federer. It was a conversation stemming from Federer's unexpected exit at the Australian Open and his loss to Safin would fuel him to win the next eight Slams.

My response to his suggestion was, "If anyone is going to stand in Federer's way, there's a young Spanish punk who may have a thing or two to say about that." The bloke had NFI who I was talking about. I had to tell him there's an up and coming kid called Rafael Nadal. The bloke didn't know anything about him. I told him if he doesn't know the name yet, he soon will. I told him to remember the name. I told him he will not just win a Slam, he will win multiple Slams and he will be the biggest threat standing in the way of Federer remaining number one in the world for years to come.

I'd seen Rafa take it up to our own Lleyton at that year's Australian Open. I was very impressed with what I saw. But not even I could have expected just how bloody good my prediction would be. It's the greatest prediction I'll ever make. A once in a life time prediction if you like.

So what does this have to do with Alcaraz? Plenty. They don't call Carlos 'The Next Rafa' for no reason. The trajectory between Rafa and Alcaraz is very similar. Rafa had just turned 19 when he won his first French Open (June 2005). Alcaraz himself has just turned 19 and is about to win his first French Open.

We are probably going to see a Ruud, Rune or Rublev in a slam (sorry Cilic, you have already won one)

We all discounted Rublev. Ruud and Rube have not even been mentioned. In a match, funny things can happen.

Rune especially is only 19.
Imagine a rematch of Munich R32 in a slam final a month later.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Zverev has the capabilities still, especially at the US Open. He and Med should be comfortably the two favourites. 2023, you’re looking at Alcarez, FAA, Berrettini, Sinner as the ones who have the best chance.

after watching parts of the Sinner v Novak match, it's clear that the younger games do not have the match experience and mental strength to play bo5. It's hard to neat Nadal and Novak in bo5

interesting discussion as to whether ATP should re-introduce bo5 at some atp tournaments.

7251f3c7e9922780b8fbd912fd301041.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll go with Zverev for the next first time winner, still think the tennis he was playing ~4 years ago is the best of anyone outside the big 3 and Alcaraz. That said I absolutely do not want this to happen.

I'll go with Zverev for the next first time winner, still think the tennis he was playing ~4 years ago is the best of anyone outside the big 3 and Alcaraz. That said I absolutely do not want this to happen.
I like Zverev and I’d be more than happy for him to win one, not at the expense of Djoko of course.

I think Sinner is next, but what on earth is happening with Tsitsipas?

Will we have a first time winner here? I think Sinner is a chance, Zverev seems to enjoy the AO but that injury will take a while to fully recover from, and FAA/Korda are in the mix but not ready yet.

Not sure if Sinner is ready to win the AO

Tsitsipas or Fritz are two other players who have a chance to win their first GS

I've been wrong before but everything about Sinner reminds me of Nalbandian when he played. Everything is fine and solid but what's his winning shot? Solid isn't a shot. Now when Novak/Rafa retire you may only need solid to win but I'm not convinced. A guy like Draper has way more weapons and he's just one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back