didaksrightfoot

Premiership Player
Sep 12, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
SA Spurs, Juventus
Why hasn't Grundy signed yet?

Because these things take time and very little serious talk was gonna be able to happen before the new CBA was in place.
I mean Nat Fyfe was always gonna stay at Freo, bar a few misguided comments on his part, but that only just became official last week. And his contract has been discussed in the public domain for a lot longer than Brodie's.

Given everything that Grundy has said, I am still confident of him staying - but would like it confirmed over the next few rounds. If its still on the table around Rd 22/23, or if there's talk of "review it at the end of the season" then I would worry - So far he has said that he will be staying and it will be done its just a matter of time. (at least thats my recollection of the quotes).

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood

didaksrightfoot

Premiership Player
Sep 12, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
SA Spurs, Juventus
Don't really see the value in signing sack and varcoe tbh. Very harsh on sack I know

Varcoe I would like to keep. Yes he's not a great accumulator, and he goes quiet for periods, but we are really lacking in guys that can use the ball well under pressure. As I said in anothet thread: 1 yr plus a conditional 2nd (say 15 games).

Goldsack is a wait til after trade period proposition. If we pick up Lever or another couple of KPP prospects (either end - would allow Reid to go back) then we let him go. If we are still looking light on, then keeping him around for another year could be useful.

Schraderbrau

Cancelled
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Varcoe I would like to keep. Yes he's not a great accumulator, and he goes quiet for periods, but we are really lacking in guys that can use the ball well under pressure. As I said in anothet thread: 1 yr plus a conditional 2nd (say 15 games).

Goldsack is a wait til after trade period proposition. If we pick up Lever or another couple of KPP prospects (either end - would allow Reid to go back) then we let him go. If we are still looking light on, then keeping him around for another year could be useful.
Varcoe is great under pressure and creates a lot of stuff but, as you said, he doesn't accumulate. I also reckon his kicking is very overrated. If fit he's a good player but it's been two injury interrupted seasons and he's turning 30 next season. It doesn't make much sense keeping him when (a) he's not a key player (b) his recent injury history is poor (c) in all likelihood he won't be around for the next tilt and (d) he's keeping younger blokes who might be around at that next tilt out of the side.

I also reckon there's got to be a tipping point on how many injury prone veterans you can carry and right now I'm happy keeping it down to Wells and Reid.

Feb 8, 2007
Point Cook
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Spurs
Signed on: Grundy home at Collingwood

24 August 2017 3:15 PM

South Australia is where
Brodie Grundy was born and raised. But Collingwood is now home.

The 23-year-old ruckman has committed to the Magpies for another three years, signing a contract which will keep him at the club until the end of 2020.

Brilliant News!!!!

Sep 14, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
IMG_0434.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

MagpieBat

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts Ruby
Jan 22, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood VFL, #TeamBatman
I am sure Goldsack & Wills have both signed for another year

Wasn't it announced on the weekend ?

It was a club quote I will try and find it!

Yep.

Not a club quote, but reported in a reputable outlet...

Meanwhile out-of-contract Pies duo Tyson Goldsack and Rupert Wills will remain at the Magpies in 2018, while the futures of a host of other players remain unsolved as the club looks to move on from a disappointing 2017 campaign.

Wills, a midfielder who endured an injury-plagued 2017, has agreed to stay at the Holden Centre for a further two years while 2010 premiership veteran Goldsack is close to securing a one year contract extension.

Goldsack, 30, enjoyed one of his best years for the Magpies in 2017, playing 20 games as a permanent key defender. He has been offered a one-year deal by the Magpies and is close to agreeing to terms with the club he was drafted to in 2006.

The 24-year-old Wills injured his quad in pre season, his calf in April and then the week after playing a crucial role for the Pies in their round 18 win over West Coast injured his quad again.

He only managed one game for the year, against West Coast, where his move to the forward line in place of the injured Darcy Moore helped Collingwood blunt the Eagles intercept marking ability.

It also remains more likely than unlikely that Lachie Keeffe and Josh Thomas will stay at Collingwood for 2018 and beyond.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...magpies-poised-to-resign-20170903-gy9o94.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back