Players getting paid out on contracts who choose not to play.

Remove this Banner Ad

rush741

Draftee
Nov 17, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
I dont understand how players can take money from a club if they are no longer can play.
Especially top tier players who have been big money for at least 10 years and would already have millions in the bank.
I find it hard to believe players would expect to keep getting paid. I understand a contract is a contract
but you have to fullfill your side of the bargain I would have thought.

Is this related to Beams or Buddy?

If Buddy can’t fulfill his end of the bargain I’m fairly sure hedoesn’t get paid but the amount is still in the cap because it’s his original rfa contract.

On Beams I’m fairly sure it’s the club that’s pushed him and told him we don’t him anywhere near us so he has a leg to stand on to enforce his contract.

Buddy will continue to be paid because that was the whole idea of the contract. It was finding a way to pay him so much money without blowing the cap in any one year.

say a player picks up an addiction off the field and this leads to health issues that force him to no longer be able to playt and honor his side of the contract, should the club be liable to pay him for services he can't perform?

I don't think they should

If it was an injury sustained while training, preparing or playing football then that is a different matter

The OP talks about 'chosing not to play' when, in reality, players like Dayne Beams aren't chosing this, they're forced out due to illness/injury.

Tom Boyd retired in 2019 due to mental health, and agreed to relinquish $1.5 million of his remaining contractual payments for 2020 and 2021. He had every right to continue to hold his hand out after being forced out of the game due to a health issue but chose not to.

He's arguably the reason why we were able to afford Adam Treloar, who interestingly appears to have been forced out due to Beams remaining on the books at Collingwood (that's not intending to demonise Beams btw).

Last edited:
Fufillment of the contract is what makes it legally binding. If you sign a contract with me to buy 10 gallons of water and I deliver you 2 x 600ml bottles of Mt Franklin and I say "That will be 10,000 dollars please, the contract says 1000 per gallon". Are you going to hand it to me?
Depends what's written into the contractual terms.

If the contract says something along the lines of 'if the player receives a career ending injury or illness he will be continue to be paid his base salary until the end of the contractual period' then it should be fulfilled. I have a feeling that is written into standard AFLPA based contracts as a protection to the players.

Tom Boyd retired in 2019 due to mental health, and agreed to relinquish $1.5 million of his remaining contractual payments for 2020 and 2021.
I hope you're not saying the Western Bulldogs took advantage of Tom Boyd and his fragile state of mind at the time to avoid paying out his contract. :eek:;)

The OP talks about 'chosing not to play' when, in reality, players like Dayne Beams aren't chosing this, they're forced out due to illness/injury.

Tom Boyd retired in 2019 due to mental health, and agreed to relinquish $1.5 million of his remaining contractual payments for 2020 and 2021. He had every right to continue to hold his hand out after being forced out of the game due to a health issue but chose not to.

He's arguably the reason why we were able to afford Adam Treloar, who interestingly appears to have been forced out due to Beams remaining on the books at Collingwood (that's not intending to demonise Beams btw).

Tom Boyd had mental issues through no fault of his own, I have no problem with him being paid

Beams openly said his mental health was from gambling, I'm not so sure that the club should then have to pay him not to play

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL are very alert to rorting and as already pointed out dollars against the salary cap can be different to dollars out the door to the player.

If a club makes an offer and it entices the player to move clubs, irrespective of what happens I have no problem with the AFL deeming that offer goes against the salary cap for the length of the offer. When the club made the offer if it was in good faith then they were committed to those dollars anyway.

Otherwise you could see godfather offers made, then “early retirements” and “coaching roles” straight after to entice retirements and I’m sure this has happened a bit in the past. The cap on footy department spending also helps with this potential loop hole.

If you listen to Beams on the Sacked podcast he claims he retired and it was his call, yet it also appears he’s getting paid and trying to agree a settlement so something isn’t adding up.

If he’s genuine and retired and doesn’t want to play then I can’t see how Collingwood are liable to pay anything unless there are some crazy clauses in the contract and I can’t understand why Collingwood would’ve agreed to crazy clauses given Beams was known to be high risk.

How does that work with a coach? I have not really been following the Shaw case at North, but does he forfeit the remainder of his contract due to leaving the game because of mental health? For if he were a player, rather than a coach with similar issues, could he expect the financials to be honoured?

How does that work with a coach? I have not really been following the Shaw case at North, but does he forfeit the remainder of his contract due to leaving the game because of mental health? For if he were a player, rather than a coach with similar issues, could he expect the financials to be honoured?

At the risk of applying logic - which is not how the AFL always works - and without knowing the rules or being a lawyer, the Shaw coaching thing should be different to a player.

First, especially at Shaw’s age, there’s no likelihood that the length of the contract he was offered to entice him to coach North was likely to outlive his ability to coach whereas that’s regularly not the case with players. And was there any sort of war or trading system rorted to entice Shaw?

Second, there are so few senior coaches the AFL would be more likely to entertain this situation as a case-by-case basis whereas you can imagine the AFL getting flooded with player based sob stories from clubs wanting exemptions. I doubt the AFL would hamstring North by putting any future pay against the footy department cap, but you never know. If North pushed Shaw to resign, then they probably should have to pay him out his contract and have it against their footy department cap, if it was Shaw’s decision alone, then it shouldn’t count.

Legally (different to AFL rules and treatment) it would be interesting because if it’s deemed his mental illness is a workplace injury, and that North were negligent in creating the conditions that led to the injury, at a guess there would be some liability on North. That would be up to Shaw if he wanted to pursue something like that. And then North could have insurance for these scenarios too, so an insurance claim could cover the dollars irrespective of whether it counts against the cap or not.

AFL are very alert to rorting and as already pointed out dollars against the salary cap can be different to dollars out the door to the player.

If a club makes an offer and it entices the player to move clubs, irrespective of what happens I have no problem with the AFL deeming that offer goes against the salary cap for the length of the offer. When the club made the offer if it was in good faith then they were committed to those dollars anyway.

Otherwise you could see godfather offers made, then “early retirements” and “coaching roles” straight after to entice retirements and I’m sure this has happened a bit in the past. The cap on footy department spending also helps with this potential loop hole.

If you listen to Beams on the Sacked podcast he claims he retired and it was his call, yet it also appears he’s getting paid and trying to agree a settlement so something isn’t adding up.

If he’s genuine and retired and doesn’t want to play then I can’t see how Collingwood are liable to pay anything unless there are some crazy clauses in the contract and I can’t understand why Collingwood would’ve agreed to crazy clauses given Beams was known to be high risk.

Because he is trying to get as much money as possible from them, that is the way he rolls.

Because he is trying to get as much money as possible from them, that is the way he rolls.

Yes, I suspected as much.

I don’t know why Collingwood don’t just say “Hey, this contract is a two way street. You have to present to training and make yourself available to play or we terminate.”.

It’s either to Collingwood’s advantage to smooth the salary cap impacts over multiple years as immediate retirement means all the remaining contract hits in one year, or Beams is claiming there is some fault of the AFL or Collingwood that means he is unable to fulfil his part of his contract. I suspect it’s the latter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back