Players' Goal Songs

Remove this Banner Ad

When it was done by the British & Irish Lions crowd back in 2001 it was beautifully spine-tingling and intimidating. Now the crowd has no patience and wants to repeat the "LIIIIIIIOOOONS" part every second so that it's not drawn out at all. Loses it's effect. This is why people can't have nice things.

One of my favourites was the "What about... He's alright?" that got up at one stage. Probably stopped being effective when the Gabba started injecting 90db whenever they had the chance.
The continual ramblings on the PA system gets me as well, half the time you can't understand what the hell they're saying anyway, laughable when they say "make some noise Brisbane".

The continual ramblings on the PA system gets me as well, half the time you can't understand what the hell they're saying anyway, laughable when they say "make some noise Brisbane".
I have auditory sensitivity. Places like pubs, conferences or other crowded rooms are a nightmare for me - I can rarely make out what people are saying and it's usually on the verge of being painful. The continual noise at games is a big reason I don't attend many games these days.

I can't stand it, the old man or the father in law-cant stand it and not even the 12 year old likes it - just a shrill of noise akin to nails down a black board - when has contrived applause or the like ever wound the crowd in a frenzy that it needs some echo chamber to just make noise.

No music or shouting is ok - the crowd isnt about to leave b/c there isn't any.

Agree, it comes across as very Boganish.

On the atmosphere at the Lions home games I love the long drawn out Llllllllliiiiiiiiiiioooooonnnnnssssss chant that comes out occasionally, gives me goose bumps. Not a big fan of the Brisbane..... Brisbane..... Brisbane.... chant but I can put up with it, not quite as cringeworthy.
I love the Liiiiiooooons chant... But with a caveat... When we have the game won (via the Leigh Matthews rule). Any time before that I do feel it comes across as a bit arrogant, and would prefer the Brisbane chant.

This is nothing on the appalling and quite embarrassing carry on at Broncos games. Literally every time we get the ball inside the 20, the chap with the microphone starts carrying on "get behind your team Brisbane" 🤮

Little wonder half the time we drop the ball or pass it to the sideline. Shut the hell up already!

I love the Liiiiiooooons chant... But with a caveat... When we have the game won (via the Leigh Matthews rule). Any time before that I do feel it comes across as a bit arrogant, and would prefer the Brisbane chant.
I like it whenever I hear it. It was unreal in the third and final quarters of the Semi-Final against Melbourne. It could not fail to have had some impact on the mindset and momentum our team was building. Similarly, I think it contributed to Melbourne wetting the bed. That chant, during that game was the clearest manifestation of spiritual unity between the team and supporters I have witnessed for quite some time. It was right up there with the slow and booming “FITZROY … FITZROY” chant that went up in 1979 when we thrashed Essendon in the Elimination Final at Waverley.

Last edited:
I like it whenever I hear it. It was unreal in the third and final quarters of the Semi-Final against Melbourne. It could not fail to have had some impact on the mindset and momentum our team was building. Similarly, I think it contributed to Melbourne wetting the bed. That chant, during that game was the clearest manifestation of spiritual unity between the team and supporters I have witnessed for quite some time. It was right up there with the slow and booming “FITZROY … FITZROY” chant that went up in 1979 when we thrashed Essendon in the Elimination Final at Waverley.
Yes that was awesome against the Demons in that semi, the most excited I have ever been live at a game on a final siren.

Miracle on grass was pretty special as well.

On The Roar Deal podcast, Dom has had someone get in touch with him about Joe and “Let it Go”. Obviously from the movie Frozen and it’s paying tribute to Uncle Neale and The Big Freeze. Sounds plausible.

On The Roar Deal podcast, Dom has had someone get in touch with him about Joe and “Let it Go”. Obviously from the movie Frozen and it’s paying tribute to Uncle Neale and The Big Freeze. Sounds plausible.
I just assumed he has a young daughter and it's a case of Stockholm Syndrome.

I know that's how it happened for me.

Huh, that makes sense. I thought it might have been suggesting getting out of Victoria had nothing to do with the cold weather down here. That's nice if it is a tribute but I would like Joe to switch to a song that gets the crowd involved. It's a lot of fun singing along in the crowd to Sweet Caroline and Country Road and I feel it's energy sapping/demoralising for the opposition. With the big bags Joe's been kicking this year it's been something of a missed opportunity to get the crowd really amped up when he's on. If I had my pick for Joe I'd be giving him one of the '"la la la lala lala" sections from T-Rex's Hot Love.

Huh, that makes sense. I thought it might have been suggesting getting out of Victoria had nothing to do with the cold weather down here. That's nice if it is a tribute but I would like Joe to switch to a song that gets the crowd involved. It's a lot of fun singing along in the crowd to Sweet Caroline and Country Road and I feel it's energy sapping/demoralising for the opposition. With the big bags Joe's been kicking this year it's been something of a missed opportunity to get the crowd really amped up when he's on. If I had my pick for Joe I'd be giving him one of the '"la la la lala lala" sections from T-Rex's Hot Love.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back