You've ruined the act, GOB
Feb 23, 2003
Brisbane
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
Why?
Current mens players didn't "earn" the money; men as a collective over 125 years have built the comp up but the current players haven't done s**t. The money is in maybe the top 15-30 players who people will go out of their way to see individually, but predominantly in the goodwill the clubs and league have built up over that period. You could replace the bottom 700 players in this comp with the next 700 in line and would have no impact to revenue

Paying women a professional wage, not necessarily equal to men but enough to be proper professional, is an investment that cricket has shown is worthwhile long term

Oct 16, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
Can't believe people are this dumb...I mean I do, I deal with the public most days and they are as dumb as dogshit but...

Thinking it is somehow OK to cut money rightfully owed to one group, to do the thing they should have done all along to another group (paying a professional wage) is just stupid. Yes, the womens comp should be professional, like the women cricket is but the AFL has had 5 years to work this out.

Call them out for being incompetent...sure but thinking it is OK to steal money from one groups retirement fund to fix something due to their own incompetence...FFS.

Feb 6, 2004
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn
Why?
Current mens players didn't "earn" the money; men as a collective over 125 years have built the comp up but the current players haven't done s**t. The money is in maybe the top 15-30 players who people will go out of their way to see individually, but predominantly in the goodwill the clubs and league have built up over that period. You could replace the bottom 700 players in this comp with the next 700 in line and would have no impact to revenue

Paying women a professional wage, not necessarily equal to men but enough to be proper professional, is an investment that cricket has shown is worthwhile long term
Read the article, the women agree with the men. AFL trying to make the men look bad for not giving up their money to the women.

Imagine if someone went and took away a heap of your superannuation to give to another group? How would you feel?

webbo_83

Senior List
May 29, 2006
Neerim South
AFL Club
Richmond
What is this money from? Have the players always received lump sums from the competition at the conclusion of their careers?

Does anyone know what the actual quantum is? The article says it has nothing to do with what the player actually earns so it would be interesting to know what each year of service to the game is worth.

Oct 22, 2008
Geelong
AFL Club
Essendon
What is this money from? Have the players always received lump sums from the competition at the conclusion of their careers?

Does anyone know what the actual quantum is? The article says it has nothing to do with what the player actually earns so it would be interesting to know what each year of service to the game is worth.
20 years ago or so I was told players got $10k payment for every season they'd spent on a list when their career was done. Not sure how it was paid out and I'm sure the scheme has changed (from memory something might've happened around the time the veterans list come in/changed)

Shadow89

Cancelled
10k Posts AFL Fantasy Div 6+ Winner 2021
Feb 20, 2018
Why?

The AFL constantly spruiks its 'record memberships' and 'record TV rights deals'...but can't afford to pay the AFLW players a small portion without literally robbing Peter to pay Paul(ina)?

This whole thing is just neoliberal mentality at its finest. The players make the game, not the corporate idiots who keep changing the rules, upping the prices and generally screwing with the comp as a whole.

The AFL should just pay both groups (cut the execs pay given they 2/10ths of * all and get paid millions) and shut the f*ck up - as literally no-one on either side thinks this is fair or equitable.

Yet another in a long line of recent examples, of corporate stupidity outweighing ethics and sensibility.

pride of the West

Senior List
May 15, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
It's a shame the women can't play on smaller grounds and cut the teams down to 14 a side. That would help with wages, talent, speed of game, number of goals etc.

For cricket the bring the boundaries right in which helps but tough to do for goal posts.
Spot on! But they won’t to do ever thing the men do

collingwoodmick

Debutant
Oct 2, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
I

If I recall correctly, I think players whose careers are ended by an injury suffered during a match - Dane Swan, for example - get a lump sum payment of some sort.

matthew_s

Premiership Player
Aug 19, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Gender pay gap is a big issue, only fair

Is it just gender in this case though?

AFLW loses money. It’s no different to Adele making millions on her concert vs the Cold Chisel cover band at the local making hundreds.

No one suggests Your cousin Fred who couldn’t get past the Australian Idol cattle call should make the same as U2

Fruit

Premiership Player
Jul 24, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think double headers with the Mens Comp are the answer in the short term.
The girls might draw an extra 3-5000 people to a game because people can watch two games at the premier venues.
More Female friendly sponsors might jump onboard because of the opportunity to advertise to a bigger market.
The networks might be more interested because they might not have to find a stand alone time slot.

Atomboy

Premiership Player
Jan 22, 2007
Yes
AFL Club
St Kilda
Read the article, the women agree with the men. AFL trying to make the men look bad for not giving up their money to the women.

Imagine if someone went and took away a heap of your superannuation to give to another group? How would you feel?

Like a Greens voter ??

Back