Opinion Players singing the club theme song

Remove this Banner Ad

magpielicious

All Australian
Apr 29, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
Has anyone else noticed the lackluster way the players have been singing the club song? Where is the passion, hunger?
Seems like its been a chore of late. Hopefully this Friday they will sing it with some pride and gusto !!

It’s not a good look but we shouldn’t look into too much.

I'm curious about the change in the words of the club song; at least by the players. I think Sidey is behind it, and for some years now, instead of:
Side by side they stick together to uphold the magpies name
Cor blimey,

Now it sounds like 'Go Blighty'.

I understand words changing over time, especially with an expression such as 'cor blimey' which sounds so ancient, but can anybody verify the words actually sung now straight after the fourth line?

I'm curious about the change in the words of the club song; at least by the players. I think Sidey is behind it, and for some years now, instead of:
Cor blimey,

I understand words changing over time, especially with an expression such as 'cor blimey' which sounds so ancient, but can anybody verify the words actually sung now straight after the fourth line?

I think they say God blimey or gor blimey... it's always been a G sound not a C but gor blimey or cor blimey mean the same thing, slang for God Blind Me.

Maybe they are saying God blind me...

Cor blimey,

I think the players sing “Side by side we stick together”? (Which IMO is the way we should all sing it anyway)

All sides who are up near the pointy end of the ladder and have high expectations don't sing the song vigorously if the win is against a lowly team who they are expected to beat.

You'll see more joy if it's against another perceived contender or if it's a big fight back win.

Joy can take many forms, and I fully understand from a player's point of view that the ritual rendition of a quirky 19th century ditty doesn't often provide an avenue for the truest and most rousing expression of that joy.

The team have a few problems at the moment. This is not one of them.

Never been any different. You can tell when the game has meaning for the players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All sides who are up near the pointy end of the ladder and have high expectations don't sing the song vigorously if the win is against a lowly team who they are expected to beat.

You'll see more joy if it's against another perceived contender or if it's a big fight back win.

IF we beat Hawks Friday Night I reckion you will see Emotion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back