Players that became well known/famous from one play or game

Remove this Banner Ad

There was a Geelong local named Nick Walsh. He played only a handful of games with Essendon. His only moment of glory came was when he kicked eight goals in a Panasonic Cup semi final. He ended up back in the Geelong local league not long after.

Micky Conlan's match winning goal against Essendon in the 1986 elimination final. It rained all day and Fitzroy ended up winning by a point.
Conlan looked dejected after he kicked the goal, probably because he did nothing all day up until that moment.

Phil Manassa became well known to me due to a play by Mick McGuane. I learned of his name long before I saw his play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is pretty much three guys who have made a name for themselves from one game against us. Nick Davis with his BS in 05, Stuart Dew in the 08 grand final and bloody Ashley McGrath goal on the siren in 2013 easily the 3 worst days as a Geelong supporter.

Got another one from GFs
Barry Breen
Something about winning your side a GF that does this for you.

If we're going back to the 60s Neil "Froggy" Crompton for the Demons, quickly erased Collingwood's Ray Gabelich (Gabbo's Run) from minutes earlier.

Only remembered for missing 2 match winning goals because it happened so rarely.....Johnno won dozens of games off his own boot with late last quarter goals.

John Georgiades is a better nomination - 8 goals on debut and disappeared soon after.

Andrew? Metropolis from the Eagles, 8 goals with his first 8 kicks on debut

Geoff Hayward

No way. Sure he was all over the shop in the game against Hawthorn (Rostoff's coaching was brilliant that day) and it was terrific to sing the song after the game ("Bobbing up and down like this") but Hayward was brilliant in the Grand Final in front of 130,000 fans.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back