Vixens
not a play or a game but...

The Swert

Premiership Player
May 3, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Doesn't quite fit the intent but some incidents/games that have stuck with me and became the dominant
memory attributed to them:

- Heath Shaw GF smother
- Barry Hall KO
- Tom Hawkins Final quarter against North
- Nathan Brown Broken leg
- Razor Ray Holy Jesus
- Chris Connolly Sirengate
- Shane Crawford That's what I'm talkin bout
- Mark Williams Choking
- Cameron Ling Miss from goalsquare
- James Hird (as a player) Hugging fan
- Simon Beaumont 8 first half goals
- Greg Williams Claiming goal from an Eagles rushed point
- Dane Rampe Climbing goalpost, probably

Tom Hawkins did what against the Roos? I remember him for his match winner vs Hawthorn in 2012.

Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon

Brilliant lol

The Princes Park Carlton rabble in full disturbing voice.

Brings back memories.

The good old days. When brutal enforced violence changed the momentum of a game.

Ratten’s pain with that shoulder warms the cockles of my heart.

SOS knocked out not so much. But as always with the lad, he put himself in the zone to be hit.

He was one brave son of serge.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Micky Conlan's match winning goal against Essendon in the 1986 elimination final. It rained all day and Fitzroy ended up winning by a point.
Conlan looked dejected after he kicked the goal, probably because he did nothing all day up until that moment.

I was there...VFL park...#### it was cold that day trudging back through the puddles in the car park.

Mum probably had a pot of spaghetti bol on that night when me and the old man got home.

I doubt I watched the replay....

Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Not that anyone on the face of the earth remembers except Bomber fans over the age of 45...but Shane Heard’s shut down job on the dangerous Dipper in the 84’ GF allowed us to control the ball in the midfield more and ultimately run over the campaigners in the last qrt for a famous victory.

Very unassuming man was Shane. Country boy. Didn’t seek the limelight.
Just did what ever job Sheedy asked him to do. Tough as nails.

After Kevin Sheedy took over in 1981 finding the perfect position for him as a tagger, a role that made him far more consistent. He was soon regarded as one of the best taggers in the competition due to his great concentration, speed and cleverness around the contest. You could say he was one of the original taggers of the competition. Tagging has been a staple ever since and for that you can thank Heard and others from the 80’s. His role as a tagger hit its peak in the 1984 Bombers Grand Final win when he played on the Hawks key player Robert ‘Dipper’ DiPierdomenico. He was able to completely shut him out of the game and, according to the Essendon website, this went a long way to the Bombers winning the premiership. Not only did he shut Dipper out of the game, he also was equal highest possession winner on the ground for the Bombers with 23. Along with the premiership medal, he was rewarded at the end of the year by winning the coach’s award, for a second year running.
3E108B4B-4969-447C-9E83-46162CC2C3B4.jpeg

Handsome.B.Wonderful

Premiership Player
Jan 13, 2006
Bigfooty
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Ted Hopkins. 29 total games . Comes on at half time in a grand final in his 28th game (pre-interchange days) and turns a grand final. Kicked 10 goals in his career including 4 in the second half of the 1970 grand final in the biggest comeback in grand final history in front of 121,000 people. Only plays one more game before retiring.

Pretty well known for founding Champion Data as well.

Last edited:

MarcusP2

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 21, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Essendon fans won’t forget Michael Quinn for being our ruck in the 2009 elim final (partnering the giant that is Nathan Lovett Murray)

Also Rampe for climbing to the top of the goalpost while managing not to shake it ;)
I'll always remember him for falling over in the goal square and missing a Joe the Goose.

John Georgiadis 8 goals on debut for Footscray

Mark Arceri kicking Carlton's only goal for the game (from a dubious free) in the last 33 seconds of a wet game at Whitten Oval.

Setanta O'hAilpin for belting then kicking Cloke at training

Remove this Banner Ad

Back