Players that disappointed you the most for your club?

thomas9059

Draftee
Jul 12, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Which player first comes to mind when answering this question?

For me, as an Aston Villa fan, I'd say it was Robert Pires who Houllier signed on a short-term basis in 2010 when we were struggling badly for form and needed someone to add a bit of magic to the team. I was really excited with Robert's arrival, as I had admired him enormously as an Arsenal legend. But he came to Villa and it was evident he was only there for the money and wasn't really interested in making much of an effort. He never moved to the Midlands and was apparently chauffeur driven from London to training every day at the club's expense. I thought he would teach some of our younger players (eg. Bannan, Albrighton, Hogg, Delfouneso) a few tricks, but that never happened either. He was a real disappointment for me, but what example(s) can you name for your club and why?

Apr 2, 2000
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Chicago Bulls.
Hard to go past Torres. Cost a fortune and gave back not much. Left a few good memories(Barca goal, Europa league run) but not much else. Unable to take responsibility for his uselessness too.

Was very happy when he left.
I knew it would be him for Chelsea fans. It would be a shame but I loved how he failed at Chelsea.

Apr 2, 2000
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Hmm I cant really think of one for us.

A lot of guys I didnt even rate or want us to sign that went on to disappoint. So I was expecting it, so to me, it wasnt disappointing. Like Andy Carroll for example.

Hmm... maybe Benteke. I thought he would go better than what he did, but I think he was more a victim of Klopp's system than anything else. Having said that, I didnt want us to buy him anyways.

Markovic was another. Was touted as a future star. Spent 20 million on him. He showed flashes but in generally not up to it.

Sep 5, 2014
Hertford
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Manchester United, Stevenage FC
Karel Poborsky. Signed after an awesome Euro 96. Was shite and usurped by Becks within 18 months.

Nani. I still like him but I was extremely happy when we bought him. Can change a game in an instant. If he was consistent he'd be a worldie.

Fabien Barthez. He was s**t and i didn't like the signing at the time. Fergie replaced a giant with a midget.

Seba. Still love him and he was great in the UCL but just couldn't fit in with the tempo of the prem. Absolute magic on his day. Can't fault SAF too much for this one. He was a top 3 CM in the world when we bought him.

The Glazers pulling out of the Zoran Tosic/ Adem Llajic deal almost killed me. Loved watching Llajic as a kid and still like him. Instead, we managed to pay about 8m for steak knives :drunk:

WealstoneRaider

Cancelled
10k Posts I reneged on a bet or agreement :(
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Has to be Soldado, although Kane softened that blow. So many flopspurs to choose from over the years though

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal, New York Yankees
Arshavin easily. Showed glimpses of greatness, such as at Anfield. But faded away badly and just looked completely disinterested.

Before that, would say Davor Suker. Had a fantastic World Cup at France 98, but never really looked settled in Wenger's system back then.

Karel Poborsky. Signed after an awesome Euro 96. Was shite and usurped by Becks within 18 months.

Nani. I still like him but I was extremely happy when we bought him. Can change a game in an instant. If he was consistent he'd be a worldie.

Fabien Barthez. He was s**t and i didn't like the signing at the time. Fergie replaced a giant with a midget.

Seba. Still love him and he was great in the UCL but just couldn't fit in with the tempo of the prem. Absolute magic on his day. Can't fault SAF too much for this one. He was a top 3 CM in the world when we bought him.

The Glazers pulling out of the Zoran Tosic/ Adem Llajic deal almost killed me. Loved watching Llajic as a kid and still like him. Instead, we managed to pay about 8m for steak knives :drunk:

Bebe?

Apr 2, 2000
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Harry Kewell
Fernando Morientes

I must admit I was excited about signing Balotelli as well, which was very stupid of me.
I was horrified when we signed Balo.

Morientes was finished once he joined, didnt he retire after leaving Liverpool? Kewell was too injury prone so I didnt expect too much from him.

Back