Oppo Camp Players that nearly were Tigers

Remove this Banner Ad

He kicked tons in 95, 96 and 98, in addition to kicking 80 in 1999. If we scored Plugger we would've played in 5+ finals series and been in premiership contention for a couple of them (95 and 98 in particular).

And now they've brought in GWS and the Gold Coast to hold a duopoly on the flag when we're at our peak. AFL continually ******* us over in the name of expansion.

Not to mention introducing zoning when the Tigers were humming in the late 60's. The zones were meant to change every few years but of course this never happened.

Richmond was given the sparse Mildura zone. Carlton got the far bigger Bendigo whilst Hawthorn got the biggest free kick of all, given the rapidly expanding Mornington Peninsula as their metro zone in addition to the Gippsland country zone.

We have brought much pain upon ourselves but the AFL have screwed us royally over the years.

im glad we passed on adams, as he has shown zilch at the pies. he kicking is awful.
He has surprised me at how ineffective he has been.

Don't get ahead of yourself there Barry. Lets look at the quality of delivery he would have had over that period. Lets face it the Tigers have not been reknowned strong forward entries over the pat couple of decades. If Richo had better quality balls coming in to him he would have kicked 1100 goals (482 out on the full but 1100 goals lol)

As I said when the rumour was strong that we might get Fev when he was blowing up with the Blues - 'Here's the kick into the forward line - Ooooh, juuuuust over Richo's head! Ooooh, juuuust short of Fev! And those two look like they're about to murder someone!'.

Chuck Lockett in there, and there would have been deaths - of Richmond midfielders.

Because we were negotiating with the MCC to move from Punt Road to the MCG and it was thought that Barass being a Melbourne legend would jeopardise the deal, any other point of time in history he would have been snapped up. He wanted out of Melbourne so bad he signed with Carlton within days of our rejection.
surely we would of had to get the "all clear" from Carlton in the first place to even consider recruiting such a high profile player. They had first dibs on everyone.

Not to mention introducing zoning when the Tigers were humming in the late 60's. The zones were meant to change every few years but of course this never happened.

Richmond was given the sparse Mildura zone. Carlton got the far bigger Bendigo whilst Hawthorn got the biggest free kick of all, given the rapidly expanding Mornington Peninsula as their metro zone in addition to the Gippsland country zone.

We have brought much pain upon ourselves but the AFL have screwed us royally over the years.

Mildura was hardly a barren wasteland for Richmond. In fact the Sunraysia area was considered one of the stronger areas of country football.

Consider this...........
"Carlton, Richmond, Hawthorn and North Melbourne won every VFL premiership between 1967 and 1983, a period of dominance not known in any other era, as strong country zones gave these clubs lists more powerful than any club could build without zoning.
In contrast, the clubs with the worst zones, Melbourne and South Melbourne, took eight wooden spoons between them in that period"..................
(Sorry had to steal a direct quote above to highlight my point).

Our decline came marginally before the demise of zoning and has continued ever since. The introduction of zoning did not stop the "humming" Tigers. Unfortunately, internal divisions and poor management did.

Read somewhere that Jack Dyer very nearly convinced John Coleman to come to Richmond at the start of his career when the Essendon players wouldn't kick to him at training.

Read somewhere that Jack Dyer very nearly convinced John Coleman to come to Richmond at the start of his career when the Essendon players wouldn't kick to him at training.

Not sure with this one, but its common knowledge that the reverse happened with Dyer when they wouldnt kick it to him in training and he threatened to go to Collingwood. Naturally after the threat they kicked it to him more often.

Mildura was hardly a barren wasteland for Richmond. In fact the Sunraysia area was considered one of the stronger areas of country football.

Consider this...........
"Carlton, Richmond, Hawthorn and North Melbourne won every VFL premiership between 1967 and 1983, a period of dominance not known in any other era, as strong country zones gave these clubs lists more powerful than any club could build without zoning.
In contrast, the clubs with the worst zones, Melbourne and South Melbourne, took eight wooden spoons between them in that period"..................
(Sorry had to steal a direct quote above to highlight my point).

Our decline came marginally before the demise of zoning and has continued ever since. The introduction of zoning did not stop the "humming" Tigers. Unfortunately, internal divisions and poor management did.

I know you are quoting so I'm not having a go at you personally but that's complete & utter BS.

None of Bartlett, Hart, Bourke, Clay, Sheedy, Barrott etc came from country zoning. In fact what members of the 67-69-73-74 teams were?

Fittingly (given this week's unfortunate events) I quote Tom Hafey himself from a Parliamentary enquiry into Country Football:

“The VFL, as it was at the time, stuffed up zoning. It was supposed be rotated but it did not work that way. I will tell you something: the teams with the two best country zones were Carlton and Hawthorn and they won 13 of 22 premierships during country zoning. Did you realise that? It has never been mentioned – they were runners-up six times… all of a sudden we started being a power and then they brought in zoning. There was no way known the sides that had good zones were going to change .. they might get Richmond, Collingwood or South Melbourne zones that were right on the border a million miles away. I am not joking – that is exactly the way it was – they patted themselves on the back for having terrific clubs and it was handed to them.”

And from the HFC history book itself:

“Hawthorn was the chief beneficiary of country zoning. They had the entire Mornington Peninsula (including Frankston) that had more senior and minor clubs than any other country zone, had the most boys in the 16-20 age group, and was rapidly becoming metropolitan rather than a genuine country area. Hawthorn’s country zone, for example, had more than three times as many boys in it as the zone allocated to Collingwood, and had already produced five times as many League players in the three years preceding zoning…”

We were shafted. Got a few good ones like Flea, General, Merv Keane, Raines & Knights but this is dwarfed by the smorgasbord some other clubs enjoyed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back