Players that were pumped up but didn't deliver?

Remove this Banner Ad

Josh Schache of recent years. Ws talked about as a sharpshooting Cloke but has shown nothing at AFL level. Slow, weak and couldn't break his way out of a wet paper bag even if his life depended on it. Extremely soft player who has been coddled by his mother for the past 15 years to the point that he had literally zero life experiences....according to a few people who would know.
Did he shag your missus?

Yes they showed promise but weren’t pumped up. The premise of the thread is players who were pumped up.

I'm really curious to know your definition of 'pumped up' if Jack Grimes and Jurrah don't qualify.

The Richmond board has a bad habit (yes, one of many) of taking some kid in the VFL and pumping him up beyond logic and reason but apparently in all seriousness.

Lots of kids who apparently would have been superstars if only they were given a chance, and would be snapped up by other teams and become stars if we delisted them have disappeared never to be seen again.

Gourdis, McBean & Lennon come to mind but there is always at least one. Current version seems to be Callum Moore....Who knows, maybe this time they'll get one right!

Grimes just wasn’t pumped up. Jurrah delivered before going nuts with a blade. Re-read the title bra

So you make a player captain, but that isn't pumping him up?

Ass for Jurrah, I remember being told repeatedly that he was just starting and was going to get far better....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How has Majak Daw not been mentioned? While a lot of the pumping of Majak came from the media r5ather than North - and he has kicked 5 goals in a final - he does belong here.

Josh Fraser never lived up to the #1 pick hype. He was a plodder.
If Fraser was drafted recently, rather than 1999, he'd have become a really good player I think. Would have become the quintessential 2nd ruck/support forward; in his early Collingwood days when backing up McKee he kicked plenty of goals, was a great grab and had a good tank so could follow the pill around the ground and provide ruck relief. Think of a more flexible Rory Lobb, supporting Mumford and being the third tall forward who attracts little attention.

If Fraser was drafted recently, rather than 1999, he'd have become a really good player I think. Would have become the quintessential 2nd ruck/support forward; in his early Collingwood days when backing up McKee he kicked plenty of goals, was a great grab and had a good tank so could follow the pill around the ground and provide ruck relief. Think of a more flexible Rory Lobb, supporting Mumford and being the third tall forward who attracts little attention.
If I played back in the 90's, I would have kicked 1000 goals.

Des Headland. Played in a flag but should have become a superstar. Lazy by all accounts.

Des was a very good player. He looked extremely good in a team that had Voss, Lappin, Black and Acker.

Went to Freo and a team that didn't have the same calibre of coaches or teammates.

Kosi. He was a hyped up spud.
Don’t know if he was a spud, but had horrendous awareness and was a bash and crash type player that only knew one way. Could’ve benefited from having some better game sense. Hard to give advice though when he played 196 games more than me and everyone on BF (unless they post).

I remember when Cunnington, Ziebell and Bastinac were getting pumped up by those not even at North as some of the best kids in the game.

Now Cunnington is the only one who delivered. Ziebell is good without ever reaching great heights (as a player, he's a great captain), and Bastinac is hardly setting the world on fire in QLD.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back