Club History Players that you thought would make it but didn't.

Remove this Banner Ad

Damien Cupido - 40 games, 50 goals 2003-2005

Cupido came to Essendon in a trade from Brisbane after played 12 games in 2 years. It seemed he came as a supremely talented but flawed character. Sometimes Sheedy liked to give blokes a second chance and here was a chance at a real huge upside get. Some of the things this bloke could do were freaky, as a 184cm, 95kg fwd/mid he just seemed to have the knack to be in the right spot at the right time, was evasive and deadly. It always seemed he was on the brink of breaking games open and becoming a star but then he would revert back into his shell for whatever reason.

Wasn't really a suprise, Robert Walls completley called it a year in advance

Slow, fat and a below average kick doesn't scream talent.

There are plenty of ball magnets who play in second tier comps.

He wasn't talentless, not by any stretch, but it took him 3 years before anyone could see a player and even then it was a basically last chance saloon.

Simply not true. I sat in Bruce Reid's surgery a day or two after Jobe played his first practice match after being drafted, and his exact words to me were "the club thinks he is going to be our Greg Williams - his hands are superb & he will be the guy that gets in & gets the ball'.

Simply not true. I sat in Bruce Reid's surgery a day or two after Jobe played his first practice match after being drafted, and his exact words to me were "the club thinks he is going to be our Greg Williams - his hands are superb & he will be the guy that gets in & gets the ball'.

Where is what we have said inconsistent?

Slow, fat and a below average kick doesn't scream talent.

There are plenty of ball magnets who play in second tier comps.

He wasn't talentless, not by any stretch, but it took him 3 years before anyone could see a player and even then it was a basically last chance saloon.

Compare that to Cupido and Laycock turning in performances that should have landed them ANZAC medals in their first handful of games.

As Owen said, the fall back for Jobe was his size and clean hands. Without that rig I doubt he plays more than 20 afl games.

it took him 3 years before anyone could see a player and even then it was a basically last chance saloon.

Some unknown guy giving information to the club doctor is enough of an authority to overcome Sheedy going hard at Watson publicly. Not to mention the equivalent of 39 goals in a year or ANZAC medal performances in the first few games confirming obvious quality.

Sure if you want to have a pointless argument about semantics, there was inconsistency in what was posted.

Knowing BF as I do I am sure the time machine will confirm all of the support for Jobe in the first 3 years.

Some unknown guy giving information to the club doctor is enough of an authority to overcome Sheedy going hard at Watson publicly. Not to mention the equivalent of 39 goals in a year or ANZAC medal performances in the first few games confirming obvious quality.

Sure if you want to have a pointless argument about semantics, there was inconsistency in what was posted.

Knowing BF as I do I am sure the time machine will confirm all of the support for Jobe in the first 3 years.
Bruno you can't claim you posted the same thing and then when it's pointed out you didn't, claim it's a pointless argument about semantics.

You started the topic. The only reason you now think it's a pointless argument about semantics is because you were wrong.

It's ok, we all make mistakes. 😘

The club doctor told me what the club were thinking, not the other way around. it didn't take anyone 3 years to know that Jobe could be special. Firstly, he needed so get his quad issues sorted out. Now whether that affected his ability to train, or his training efforts affected his body breaking down is chicken/egg.

The issue with Sheedy & Jobe was more to do with Sheedy's relationship with Jobe's dad. Jobe got fit, and in 2006, his possessions vs time on ground was elite - up there with anyone else in the league...but Sheedy still kept dragging him. It cost Jobe the B&F. Same again in '07... and then as a nice little parting shot to the family, he dropped Jobe for the last few games of '07, including Hird (and Sheedy's) last game.

The club doctor told me what the club were thinking, not the other way around. it didn't take anyone 3 years to know that Jobe could be special. Firstly, he needed so get his quad issues sorted out. Now whether that affected his ability to train, or his training efforts affected his body breaking down is chicken/egg.

The issue with Sheedy & Jobe was more to do with Sheedy's relationship with Jobe's dad. Jobe got fit, and in 2006, his possessions vs time on ground was elite - up there with anyone else in the league...but Sheedy still kept dragging him. It cost Jobe the B&F. Same again in '07... and then as a nice little parting shot to the family, he dropped Jobe for the last few games of '07, including Hird (and Sheedy's) last game.
Yeh, but did Doc Reid even check with Bruno first before shooting his mouth off?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back