Club History Players that you thought would make it but didn't.

boncer34

It's just the way I say things
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm
Always looked like one of our worst players watching as a kid and even watching past games now this hasn’t changed my view, if anything looks worse.
You mean watching past games, knowing he turned out a spud, you think he looks like a spud?

Well duh.

But with fresh eyes not knowing what he ended up it is very feasible to have believed he'd have made it as a defender in his first few games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Matthew_Lloyd

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Essendon
Kepler Bradley - drafted as a forward, but Sheedy turned him into a defender. Wasn't too bad actually, well up until the night Richo kicked 9 on him that is. Lost all confidence and only played a few more games for us before being traded to Freo.

Michael Quinn - from memory he played a good game on debut against Freo. What McKenna is now is what I thought Quinn would turn out to be.

Kyle Reimers - can't go past him. Had all the talent in the world but was downright lazy. Would play like crap most of the year, but for some reason, would always turn up and destroy Carlton off his own boot.

TheGrizz

Club Legend
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern Munich
Jason Laycock.

Was never 'sure' he was going to make it but i thought he showed enough talent to be just about anything.
Had a ton of talent but injury and discontinuity ruined his body and confidence. Teased often with his marking up forward but never established himself and had a terrible run with his body.

There was a period in 07-08 where he was one of the best pack marks in the league.
If he had put it all together then in todays game he would be the perfect 3rd tall/back-up ruckman which clubs crave nowadays.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Essendon

I've always wondered whether there was something more to the story of the end of his career.

By the time he was delisted he was a competent player who had addressed his flaws.

I put it down as another who was too fast and too skillful for Hird-era football.

Howard Moon

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Essendon
Thread starter #56
I've always wondered whether there was something more to the story of the end of his career.

By the time he was delisted he was a competent player who had addressed his flaws.

I put it down as another who was too fast and too skillful for Hird-era football.

when they first started I would have sworn Dyson would have made it over Stanton

one had a raking laser kick, the other seemed slow and soft

shows how good a judge I was.

Howard Moon

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Essendon
Thread starter #57
Jason Laycock.

Was never 'sure' he was going to make it but i thought he showed enough talent to be just about anything.
Had a ton of talent but injury and discontinuity ruined his body and confidence. Teased often with his marking up forward but never established himself and had a terrible run with his body.

There was a period in 07-08 where he was one of the best pack marks in the league.
If he had put it all together then in todays game he would be the perfect 3rd tall/back-up ruckman which clubs crave nowadays.
another in the lazy and or laconic category?

going at it one handed, letting tackles slip ect

D_P_S

Devon Goods
AFL Club
Essendon
when they first started I would have sworn Dyson would have made it over Stanton

I was the same although i still liked Stanton, always love a good left foot kick so Dyson was always one i liked standing up for.

Doss

Super Moderator
AFL Club
Essendon
Admin #59

He was pretty banged up injury wise by the end of 2012.

That said I’m with you in that at the time, I thought his delisting was harsh.

un_eggs

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool

In some ways he had a more glorious career than Stants. Footy is about winning the big games and we’ve only got Anzac Day wins to gloat about since 2004. His clutch goal in the 2009 Anzac Day game is our Dom Sheed moment.

yodellinhank

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Essendon
Surprised at the Stanton comments. He struck me as a player right away in the #34. Threw away $5 on him for the brownlow at the start of many a season, it was a famous recurring bet which resulted in many a text message received early 2012.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yodellinhank

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Essendon
Tayte Pears. Very tough call as injury didn't allow him to get continuity and he still managed 70 games as it is, but I still think he could have been a 250-gamer coming off half-back with better luck. Talent-wise, I believe he was that good.
Pears was super until Prismall stuck a knee through him. I remember my concerns being dismissed as if it was yesterday.

"He's never even done a pre season, he's just naturally fit, he'll be right..."

vast

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Essendon
Tayte Pears. Very tough call as injury didn't allow him to get continuity and he still managed 70 games as it is, but I still think he could have been a 250-gamer coming off half-back with better luck. Talent-wise, I believe he was that good.
This one still upsets me. No doubt he would have made it. Was beating Fev and Roughead in just his 2nd or 3rd year. Too brave for his own good then just kept getting injured.

Top Bottom