Club History Players that you thought would make it but didn't.

Remove this Banner Ad

Pweter

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 12, 2010
Right here, right now
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Central Districts, Detroit Pistons
Shane Harvey.

His brother was a jet and naturally Shane was going to be one too because we drafted him (yep, I was peak Essendon arrogance at the time). I read Lloyd say that if he could have anyone in the team kick to him on the lead it'd be Shane Harvey.

Enough said, Essendon + Lloyd's comment = genuine star in the making.

Didn't quite work out mainly due to what I believe was a figjam attitude, he went to North where he didn't do anything, so went on to dominates the amateurs instead.

Pweter

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 12, 2010
Right here, right now
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Central Districts, Detroit Pistons
Went a page without Courtney Johns... Not bad

I thought long and hard but decided I didn't actually think he'd make it, more hoped that he'd make it. His hip injury when he came to us was career threatening so it was more about whether he'd be able to get up or not. When he started playing I didn't really see enough to have me think he'd make it.

Dec 14, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
I thought long and hard but decided I didn't actually think he'd make it, more hoped that he'd make it. His hip injury when he came to us was career threatening so it was more about whether he'd be able to get up or not. When he started playing I didn't really see enough to have me think he'd make it.

I went to windy hill one year to watch a practice match, Johns was milling about behind the goals with a few fringe players, wearing a singlet and thongs on feet.

at quarter time few people were having a kick, he was in the goal square, flicked off his thong and lazily kicked a 60 meter bare foot drop punt into the centre

square..bloody talent

Dec 14, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
speaking of jetta and if he made it or not after playing 90 games - makes me think of Mark Bolton, drafted pick 4 in the 97 draft, great size 195cm, 88kg, was quick, could do most things well, always threatened to break out into stardom but in the end was much maligned and it seemed he played 120 games just so he could tag Adam Goodes twice per year.

Jun 9, 2007
un
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
Wayne Beddison - the original hyped up Essendon saviour forward who teased but never pleased.

Andrew Underwood - Built like Micky Conlan but played like Jason Ashby.

Ben Haynes - smooth moving streak of duckshit who was a bit ineffective, like a streak of duckshit.

Cory McGrath - I thought he wasn’t the ‘s**t sibling’ but I was wrong.

Michael Thomson - always thought he was a well rounded player but was always behind a bunch of stars.

Kyle Hardingham - thought he would be the x-factor up forward then was turned into a defender who had no rebound... just Jumpy McJumpyface and nothing more.

And of those mentioned, Cupido, Gumby and Pears all flattened my hopes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

eDPS

Premium Platinum
Nov 4, 2010
Melbourne - Eastern Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
I fear Redman ends up in this list and it makes me sad
Him and Lav for me for the current players, both have talent which is unquestionable they just cant get on the park often enough.

Winderlich is one who still had a good career but without injury i feel would have been a genuine star, his work rate and leadership especially in his last year really left an impression on me, Rama another who had a great career but Cancer ruined it prematurely.

Dec 14, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
Him and Lav for me for the current players, both have talent which is unquestionable they just cant get on the park often enough.

Winderlich is one who still had a good career but without injury i feel would have been a genuine star, his work rate and leadership especially in his last year really left an impression on me, Rama another who had a great career but Cancer ruined it prematurely.

Thought Danny Jacobs showed massive promise but his career died to me the day he wore brown and gold.

JayDon

Club Legend
Oct 17, 2013
Home
AFL Club
Essendon

Attachments

• courtney_johns.jpg
    courtney_johns.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 68

Remove this Banner Ad

Back