Club History Players that you thought would make it but didn't.

Always looked like one of our worst players watching as a kid and even watching past games now this hasn’t changed my view, if anything looks worse.
You mean watching past games, knowing he turned out a spud, you think he looks like a spud?

Well duh.

But with fresh eyes not knowing what he ended up it is very feasible to have believed he'd have made it as a defender in his first few games.

Tayte Pears. Very tough call as injury didn't allow him to get continuity and he still managed 70 games as it is, but I still think he could have been a 250-gamer coming off half-back with better luck. Talent-wise, I believe he was that good.

Matthew_Lloyd

Premiership Player
Apr 27, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
Kepler Bradley - drafted as a forward, but Sheedy turned him into a defender. Wasn't too bad actually, well up until the night Richo kicked 9 on him that is. Lost all confidence and only played a few more games for us before being traded to Freo.

Michael Quinn - from memory he played a good game on debut against Freo. What McKenna is now is what I thought Quinn would turn out to be.

Kyle Reimers - can't go past him. Had all the talent in the world but was downright lazy. Would play like crap most of the year, but for some reason, would always turn up and destroy Carlton off his own boot.

Sep 29, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern Munich
Jason Laycock.

Was never 'sure' he was going to make it but i thought he showed enough talent to be just about anything.
Had a ton of talent but injury and discontinuity ruined his body and confidence. Teased often with his marking up forward but never established himself and had a terrible run with his body.

There was a period in 07-08 where he was one of the best pack marks in the league.
If he had put it all together then in todays game he would be the perfect 3rd tall/back-up ruckman which clubs crave nowadays.

Dec 14, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
I've always wondered whether there was something more to the story of the end of his career.

By the time he was delisted he was a competent player who had addressed his flaws.

I put it down as another who was too fast and too skillful for Hird-era football.

when they first started I would have sworn Dyson would have made it over Stanton

one had a raking laser kick, the other seemed slow and soft

shows how good a judge I was.

Dec 14, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
Jason Laycock.

Was never 'sure' he was going to make it but i thought he showed enough talent to be just about anything.
Had a ton of talent but injury and discontinuity ruined his body and confidence. Teased often with his marking up forward but never established himself and had a terrible run with his body.

There was a period in 07-08 where he was one of the best pack marks in the league.
If he had put it all together then in todays game he would be the perfect 3rd tall/back-up ruckman which clubs crave nowadays.

another in the lazy and or laconic category?

going at it one handed, letting tackles slip ect

I've always wondered whether there was something more to the story of the end of his career.

By the time he was delisted he was a competent player who had addressed his flaws.

I put it down as another who was too fast and too skillful for Hird-era football.
He was pretty banged up injury wise by the end of 2012.

That said I’m with you in that at the time, I thought his delisting was harsh.

Jun 9, 2007
un
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
when they first started I would have sworn Dyson would have made it over Stanton

one had a raking laser kick, the other seemed slow and soft

shows how good a judge I was.

In some ways he had a more glorious career than Stants. Footy is about winning the big games and we’ve only got Anzac Day wins to gloat about since 2004. His clutch goal in the 2009 Anzac Day game is our Dom Sheed moment.

Oct 22, 2008
Geelong
AFL Club
Essendon
Tayte Pears. Very tough call as injury didn't allow him to get continuity and he still managed 70 games as it is, but I still think he could have been a 250-gamer coming off half-back with better luck. Talent-wise, I believe he was that good.
Pears was super until Prismall stuck a knee through him. I remember my concerns being dismissed as if it was yesterday.

"He's never even done a pre season, he's just naturally fit, he'll be right..."

This one still upsets me. No doubt he would have made it. Was beating Fev and Roughead in just his 2nd or 3rd year. Too brave for his own good then just kept getting injured.

He was pretty banged up injury wise by the end of 2012.

That said I’m with you in that at the time, I thought his delisting was harsh.

Still close to the best field kick I've seen

Back