Club History Players that you thought would make it but didn't.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Not sure what to think about Pears now. Definitely thought he would make it but I never thought he looked particularly good. His ability to defend 1v1 was suspect. I doubt, for example it was as good as Hartley is now (for some context).

He played that blinder against Fev but it was really more of an attacking game.

I always thought that his role was more as a mid-sized half back. Bulking him up ruined his body but I'd also say it was a misuse of his talents.

I thought of Hooker differently because of the jobs he did on Buddy and N. Riewoldt in 08 or 09 (cant remember which now). Ironically enough, Hooker then lost the pace that had him beating those guys on the lead (even with a Knights era "team defence") and became maybe the best intercept defender in the league.

Not sure what to think about Pears now. Definitely thought he would make it but I never thought he looked particularly good. His ability to defend 1v1 was suspect. I doubt, for example it was as good as Hartley is now (for some context).

I always thought that his role was more as a mid-sized half back. Bulking him up ruined his body but I'd also say it was a misuse of his talents.

I thought of Hooker differently because of the jobs he did on Buddy and N. Riewoldt in 08 or 09 (cant remember which now). Ironically enough, Hooker then lost the pace that had him beating those guys on the lead (even with a Knights era "team defence") and became maybe the best intercept defender in the league.
Nobody did the job on Buddy from 08 until 15

Dec 14, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon

Well its funny there does seem a little reactionary mismanagement going on back then

Pears looked a good mid sized flank defender - played one good game on Fev, next minute he's bulked up, injury ravaged and never the same

Hurley was doing the business on some of the leagues premier forwards as a kid (tredrae, voldt) - goes forward once and kicks 4 to get us into a finals series, next minute he's a failed forward with busted wrists.

Then you mention hooker with the pace - lost for whatever reason (bulk?)

That's before we go into Carlisle the ruckman..

Last edited:
Jason Laycock.

Was never 'sure' he was going to make it but i thought he showed enough talent to be just about anything.
Had a ton of talent but injury and discontinuity ruined his body and confidence. Teased often with his marking up forward but never established himself and had a terrible run with his body.

There was a period in 07-08 where he was one of the best pack marks in the league.
If he had put it all together then in todays game he would be the perfect 3rd tall/back-up ruckman which clubs crave nowadays.
Prick cost me my AFL umpiring career.

3/4 time of the colts we were out warming up for our senior state league match. Laycock asked if he could join in on the warm up and practice tapping our bounces.

We let him do so which is a massive no no apparently. Copped a 2 week suspension from the seniors coz of it.

Totally ruined my chances. My inability to ever reach the time trial required for AFL is irrelevant, it was this incident.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Well its funny there does seem a little reactionary mismanagement going on back then

Pears looked a good mid sized flank defender - played one good game on Fev, next minute he's bulked up, injury ravaged and never the same

Hurley was doing the business on some of the leagues premier forwards as a kid (tredrae, voldt) - goes forward once and kicks 4 to get us into a finals series, next minute he's a failed forward with busted wrists.

Then you mention hooker with the pace - lost for whatever reason (bulk?)

That's before we go into Carlisle the ruckman..

The positional stuff doesn't bother me. I'm not really in favour of players cracking it and pouting while playing forward (when that where the team has a need). Hurley was also pretty damn exciting and, again, we needed him forward because there was not much else available.

Hooker is also far from the first quick guy whose hamstring didn't hold up to the load of professional footy. I may be embellishing a bit but I think he was a state level sprinter.

Last edited:

A right-footed Hibberd who could play big for relief was his ideal wheelhouse, I think.

Funny you mention...

Reports are Hibberd has bulked up big upper body but legs the same.....ends in tears every time.
Tears and tears indeed.

Gumby and Pears already done. Two AA KPP’s on talent. Disagree on The comments of Pears one on one ability. He lost a bit of that after almost being killed backing back. Gumby had a very similar skillset to Joe Daniher but his body was made out of paper maché.

Michael Prior was one of my faves and one that I thought would end up being a good player. Never quite got there with us or the eagles.

Back