Club History Players that you thought would make it but didn't.

Liberator

Club Legend
Oct 24, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Barlow Carkeek - as a boy in '03 thought this guy was a dead cert... Wasn't physically cut out for the rigours of the game at the highest level, and chose cricket over footy in the end
Norman Yeo - 31 goals in 15 games in his first season is no mean feat ... Ended up being poached by University :mad:

Geez we massively mismanaged that kid.
Not too sure about that. Was an inside midfielder who did not have inside midfield size or strength. He was a good VFL player but only had one position and a body that would not hold up in that position.

Jan 31, 2012
patterson lakes
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
I'm not sure how many games he played and injuries were cruel but we never saw the best of Antrobus, which was a real shame.

He came over from North Adelaide 1988 with his best behind him unfortunately. Played some good games in 89 for us but that was about it. We could’ve done with him in 1990, but he just couldn’t get on the park by then.

Vander18

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
I've always wondered whether there was something more to the story of the end of his career.

By the time he was delisted he was a competent player who had addressed his flaws.

I put it down as another who was too fast and too skillful for Hird-era football.
Agree - never understood his delisting. Had finally become a player and we dumped him. Hird did have an unhealthy obsession with big, contested ball winning mids.

Last edited:

Vander18

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Not too sure about that. Was an inside midfielder who did not have inside midfield size or strength. He was a good VFL player but only had one position and a body that would not hold up in that position.
Absolutely correct.

Would add that like a few from his era, just didn’t have the appetite for the contest you need at AFL level, especially if you are an inside mid.

adsla69k

Club Legend
Aug 26, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Hurley could have been a super superstar if he didnt bust his thumbs early on. I remember meeting him after he played Frankston in the VFL in his first season and got his autograph and his hands/thumbs were all taped up. Later in the car my dad said that injury will give him trouble marking down the track. Sure enough now he only chest marks and double grabs. Good player but could have been way better imo.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Hurley could have been a super superstar if he didnt bust his thumbs early on. I remember meeting him after he played Frankston in the VFL in his first season and got his autograph and his hands/thumbs were all taped up. Later in the car my dad said that injury will give him trouble marking down the track. Sure enough now he only chest marks and double grabs. Good player but could have been way better imo.

Imagine Hurley with the marking ability of Hooker.

What a beast.

Agree - never understood his delisting. Had finally become a player and we dumped him. Hied did have an unhealthy obsession with big, contested ball winning mids.
Played arguably his best season before getting delisted too.

Get Gaffed

Senior List
Aug 11, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
I really wanted Ritchie Cole to do well at the bombers but we all know how that went. He actually got himself in great shape and was in the club training everyday in the hopes of a new deal, when he didn't get a deal or picked up he then doesn't even go play anywhere. Absolute basketcase hahaha

Bush Fly

Club Legend
Oct 15, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Mine you might not even remember. Paul Thomas. I thought he would be our next Jason Johnson.

The other Slattery, not Henry..

Cory Dellolio..very clever goal sneek

What the hell happened to Leroy Jetta? his best was unbelievable. I cant believe someone that talented didnt really make it. solid AFL player at times but never really made it.

Damian Cupido...wow..Absolute peanut that wasted his chances.
Dellollio was miles off the pace.

Back