Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 8, 2004
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
Players that would have to have a good season to stay on our list:

1. Hewett - has done nothing to suggest he is AFL standard

2. Ladhams - ruckman develop slowly but only a dearth of ruck options would keep him on for another year

3. Johnson - new players (Farrell, Rozee, Woodcock) look better prospects already

4. Amon - vanilla and new players look a better prospect (Rozee, Butters, Burton, Pudney, Mayes)

5. Sam Gray - see Johnson/Amon above

6. McKenzie - only a dearth of KPD options would keep him on for another year

7. Frampton - will have to play some games to see if he is AFL standard only a dearth of KPF options would keep him on for another year

8. Trengove - new players like (Duursma, Mayes, Burton) look better options

9. Broadbent - would have to have an injury free year - see Trengove above

Ill add an outside the box name.

Tom Rockliff.

Came here as a free agent, injury interrupted pre season leading into last year and never really looked the player he was at Brisbane.

Obviously not under the pump in the sense the guys named above, but will defiantly be extra keen on a big year to prove his recruitment was a good decision not a bust.

Aidyn Johnson first and foremost, because anyone who rocks up to pre season in the condition he has deserves to start next season dead set last in the pecking order.

Some others:

- Cam Hewett, obviously. Play him as a centre square mid in the Sanfl - it's his only chance of making it.
- Amon - we just brought in a bunch of guys who can play wing or half forward roles significantly better than him.
- Sam Gray - we just brought in a bunch of guys who can play a similar role, and are faster, more skillful and in most cases bigger than him.
- Frampton - has been on the list for quite some time now. He's not going to break into the AFL side as a ruck if Lycett or Ryder go down, particularly if Hayes picks up where he left off before his ACL injury. Might need to focus on his development as a KPF, but even then he may struggle to break into the AFL side. Probably not on our list in 2020.
- McKenzie - I struggle to see a spot for him.
- Broadbent - if he can't get his body right, I think he's gone.

Aidyn Johnson first and foremost, because anyone who rocks up to pre season in the condition he has deserves to start next season dead set last in the pecking order.

Some others:

- Cam Hewett, obviously. Play him as a centre square mid in the Sanfl - it's his only chance of making it.
- Amon - we just brought in a bunch of guys who can play wing or half forward roles significantly better than him.
- Sam Gray - we just brought in a bunch of guys who can play a similar role, and are faster, more skillful and in most cases bigger than him.
- Frampton - has been on the list for quite some time now. He's not going to break into the AFL side as a ruck if Lycett or Ryder go down, particularly if Hayes picks up where he left off before his ACL injury. Might need to focus on his development as a KPF, but even then he may struggle to break into the AFL side. Probably not on our list in 2020.
- McKenzie - I struggle to see a spot for him.
- Broadbent - if he can't get his body right, I think he's gone.

About sums it up except for Sam Gray. Has steadily been improving and I think he is in for a big 2019. Frampton’s only joe spears to be as a key position forward, which is not beyond him.

I'd say Rockliff and Motlop will be crucial to our chances of dramatically improving in 2019. If they have good years it might be enough to win a few more games to sneak into Top 4 contention.

Cam Hewett might be under the pump but he's only got to stick around long enough for us to try to get George over the line.

About sums it up except for Sam Gray. Has steadily been improving and I think he is in for a big 2019. Frampton’s only joe spears to be as a key position forward, which is not beyond him.
Yeah that's probably fair for Sam Gray. I might've been harsh there. Probably won't be delisted. I do feel he will have a lot of competition for games at AFL level though, and may be in and out of the team.

Frampton I think can make it as a forward, because of his contested marking ability. The coaches don't seem to like him though, so he might be in trouble at the end of 2019.

I feel like Broadbent is really a forgotten man. I wonder how that ankle is. His absence made the loss of Hartlett hurt so much more.

If he can get the ankle right he's like the cliche new recruit this year. Big body, intercept marking and a booming kick should hopefully help us rebound.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sam Gray is playing basically the same impossible role as Travis Boak where they're expected to receive the ball upfield with no support, nobody to kick to, and retain possession long enough for support to arrive while being swarmed by defenders. A signficant proportion of the board would have Boak outside the best 22 at this point.

If we blow up the gameplan and start again we could potentially get a lot more out of both of them.

To nominate 5 players in order of likelihood of leaving
1 Amon
2 Johnson
3 McKenzie
4) Broadbent
5) Ryder (retired) - probably does not quite qualify as "under the pump", but it's voluntarily close

I don't want Sam Gray delisted, I just don't want him to be the automatic lock in the 22 regardless of form that he has been over the last couple of years. He'd be perfectly serviceable depth if the coaches rated him as the 30th or so player on our list, which on talent is about where he should be.

I don't want Sam Gray delisted, I just don't want him to be the automatic lock in the 22 regardless of form that he has been over the last couple of years. He'd be perfectly serviceable depth if the coaches rated him as the 30th or so player on our list, which on talent is about where he should be.
100% agree..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back